Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: where to buy American made tools, Sears is going bust!
mgphoto
post Mar 14 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #61

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

I took a class at LAUSD and the Snap On rep set up student discounts, never ordered anything too expensive also I don't need much, been a shade tree mechanic since 1969, I bought most of my tools one at a time, except for a set of sockets. Mostly Craftsman as Sears was always close by. Some Snap-On, cause I needed it and some Proto impact sockets cause Napa carried them. Haven't broken much, last was a 1/2 inch ratchet, about 3 years ago, the replacement was an even older version ratchet, seemed even more sturdy than the one I turned in.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Mar 14 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #62

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107
Region Association: Southwest Region

I retired from the electrical channel two years ago, and work at Lowes in the tool dept. to stay busy. I have been told that the Craftsman conversion will start this Fathers' Day, and take almost a year to complete. The first conversion will be for the Kobalt tool chests to be converted to Craftsman. Power tools will be the last piece to be converted.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 14 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 9,676

Try,... ACE hardware
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Mar 15 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #64

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Grelber @ Mar 14 2018, 05:07 PM) *

I retired from the electrical channel two years ago, and work at Lowes in the tool dept. to stay busy. I have been told that the Craftsman conversion will start this Fathers' Day, and take almost a year to complete. The first conversion will be for the Kobalt tool chests to be converted to Craftsman. Power tools will be the last piece to be converted.

Interesting. Will Kobalt be going away, then? Or, is Craftsman going to be just another brand at Lowes? And, is it going to be made in the US?
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 16 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #65

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 15 2018, 05:26 PM) *

Interesting. Will Kobalt be going away, then? Or, is Craftsman going to be just another brand at Lowes? And, is it going to be made in the US?

Stanley/Black and Decker indicate that manufacturing for the Craftsman line will be brought back to the US.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/compa...ears/index.html

Here are some comments on tool quality and price that match the discussion in this thread.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/11-Too...balt-hand-tools
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Mar 16 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #66

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Mar 15 2018, 08:26 PM) *

We haven't been told yet if anything currently sold will be going away. I can't see them dumping Kobalt, but from a space perspective, something will have to go.

Bringing the manufacturing back to the US was part of the negotiations for Lowes to carry the line.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 18 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #67

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Does the Lowe's Kobalt/Craftsman issue have something to do with Lowe's ending sponsorship of the Jimmie Johnson car in NASCAR, which frequently emphasized Kobalt Tools?

http://www.racer.com/nascar/monster-energy...ohnson-hendrick
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Mar 18 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #68

No idea. I'll see what I can find out.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:59 AM