Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> first car
post Jan 19 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #41

Michael in Seattle

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,495
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 19 2018, 06:44 PM) *

>> Alki << Very cool. I live on the hill behind you. PM me if you'd like to get together for a beer and "talk shop" sometime.

- MR

PS: I'm not trying to circumvent the "Puget Sound Tuesday Teeners". I'd love to attend sometime. Tuesdays just happen to be a night on which I have another standing commitment.

I’m near and I’d join too, though not much knowledge to contribute.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 19 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 17,686

Moost, I live in Kirkland and own the Delphi green 914 and 79 guards red 928 at Chris’s.

We completed restoration on three 914’s and have a ton of new rubber from 914Rubber, along with extras of many parts. I’m not super interested in selling parts but given it’s your first car (my first car was a 914) I’d be happy to help.

...after a professional ensurses that the critical systems work, like brakes, I recommend fixing the rubber and then heating (heat exchangers, heater boxes, engine tin, tubing, fan, and lever) yourself. I had a very kind member sell me SSI heat exchangers for our 73 1.7 Phoenix red driver... you need heat and defrost in Seattle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jan 19 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 13,308

You can buy that windshield seal at 914rubber.com.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 19 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #44

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

It looks like they're currently out of stock, but worth the wait, and well worth the $

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Main-Targa-S...tion-914MTS.htm

+Quote Post
moost
post Jan 20 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 21,762

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 19 2018, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 7 2018, 01:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jan 6 2018, 05:13 PM) *

Alki (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

>> Alki << Very cool. I live on the hill behind you. PM me if you'd like to get together for a beer and "talk shop" sometime.

- MR

PS: I'm not trying to circumvent the "Puget Sound Tuesday Teeners". I'd love to attend sometime. Tuesdays just happen to be a night on which I have another standing commitment.

Do you by any chance have the blue 914 with the white porsche vinyl on the side? I've seen it pass my house a couple of times now. I know there's a red one right down on the water a mile from my house or so.
Would be great to meet up and look at other 914s. Mine is the only one ive seen up close.
QUOTE(98101 @ Jan 19 2018, 09:07 PM) *

- MR

I'm looking forward to seeing that black 914.

QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 19 2018, 10:21 PM) *

Moost, I live in Kirkland and own the Delphi green 914 and 79 guards red 928 at Chris’s.

We completed restoration on three 914’s and have a ton of new rubber from 914Rubber, along with extras of many parts. I’m not super interested in selling parts but given it’s your first car (my first car was a 914) I’d be happy to help.

...after a professional ensurses that the critical systems work, like brakes, I recommend fixing the rubber and then heating (heat exchangers, heater boxes, engine tin, tubing, fan, and lever) yourself. I had a very kind member sell me SSI heat exchangers for our 73 1.7 Phoenix red driver... you need heat and defrost in Seattle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!

Thanks. It can be frustrating to come back to a wet seat! Do you have a windshield to targa seal for sale?

Been driving it around seattle and everything works great so far! The motor has 140,000 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) on it and has never been rebuilt. Still feel like I can get some juice out of it before it needs rebuilding. Everything works on the car except the heater and defroster.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 20 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 20 2018, 01:47 PM) *

- MR

Do you by any chance have the blue 914 with the white porsche vinyl on the side? I've seen it pass my house a couple of times now. I know there's a red one right down on the water a mile from my house or so.
Would be great to meet up and look at other 914s. Mine is the only one ive seen up close.

- MR

Thanks. It can be frustrating to come back to a wet seat! Do you have a windshield to targa seal for sale?

Been driving it around seattle and everything works great so far! The motor has 140,000 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) on it and has never been rebuilt. Still feel like I can get some juice out of it before it needs rebuilding. Everything works on the car except the heater and defroster.

I think we have one, we have a large tote full of 914Rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Will check when we get home... looking at your car we may have stuff you need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
post Jan 20 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #47

Michael in Seattle

Sounds like you’ve done well. I can only get 5th gear when the humidity is exactly right...
+Quote Post
moost
post Jan 21 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(98101 @ Jan 20 2018, 06:36 PM) *

Sounds like you’ve done well. I can only get 5th gear when the humidity is exactly right...

I've only touched 5th gear once.. Seattle traffic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
post Jan 21 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #49

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 21 2018, 03:57 PM) *

I've only touched 5th gear once.. Seattle traffic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

For some reason I was in New York this weekend, but should be home next weekend. I'll want some time with my family Saturday. How's Sunday for y'all, if it's not raining?
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Jan 21 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 14,145

Hi Moost:

>> Do you?? <<Not sure if this question was directed at me or Michael. I'm nearing the end of a 4 year restoration on my tangerine 1970, so no. I think I've spotted the blue one you are referring to, however. Saw it drive down Admiral Way when we had those couple days of nice, warm weather. The only other local one I've seen lately is a red one that a guy who goes to the same gym drives. Haven't seen him lately, so he might've moved. He was living on 49th.

Michael: I'll be out of town next weekend, coming back Sunday PM. We should def make plans to get together, though. Weeknights (other than Tuesdays) are generally best for me.

- MR

- MR

- MR

+Quote Post
Matty900
post Jan 22 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 18,454

Congratulations on the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) make sure to put June7-10th on your calendar and come down to Oregon for West Coast Rally look forward to seeing you and all of the other Puget Sound area teeners this year!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 22 2018, 01:05 AM
Post #52

I found the targa to window seals. I sent you a PM

QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 20 2018, 04:18 PM) *

- MR

- MR

I think we have one, we have a large tote full of 914Rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Will check when we get home... looking at your car we may have stuff you need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #53

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 21 2018, 09:14 PM) *

Hi Moost:

>> Do you?? <<Not sure if this question was directed at me or Michael. I'm nearing the end of a 4 year restoration on my tangerine 1970, so no. I think I've spotted the blue one you are referring to, however. Saw it drive down Admiral Way when we had those couple days of nice, warm weather. The only other local one I've seen lately is a red one that a guy who goes to the same gym drives. Haven't seen him lately, so he might've moved. He was living on 49th.

Michael: I'll be out of town next weekend, coming back Sunday PM. We should def make plans to get together, though. Weeknights (other than Tuesdays) are generally best for me.

- MR

My challenge with weeknights is that we've got a couple small kids at home, and evenings are when my help seems most needed. I picked the wrong phase of life to resume this hobby! But this doesn't mean I can't make it.

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #54

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jan 21 2018, 10:59 PM) *

Congratulations on the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) make sure to put June7-10th on your calendar and come down to Oregon for West Coast Rally look forward to seeing you and all of the other Puget Sound area teeners this year!

I've also marked it in my calendar. I don't know what running state my car will be in. Ideally I'll have rebuilt the transmission by then, replaced a steering rack boot, and maybe replaced enough rubber bits that I won't have to freak out getting caught in the rain.

The car handling is occasionally a little wonky on I-5. We didn't detect any alignment problem. Could be lower than stock. I found a bump steer kit in the previous owner's receipts.
+Quote Post
moost
post Jan 23 2018, 03:43 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(98101 @ Jan 21 2018, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 21 2018, 03:57 PM) *

For some reason I was in New York this weekend, but should be home next weekend. I'll want some time with my family Saturday. How's Sunday for y'all, if it's not raining?

I can't drive it in the rain. I left it outside one night and came back to a cabin full of water. I adjusted the seal a bit the night before and it caused the rain to literally stream into my car. It was like a waterfall. Just incredible.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 23 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #56

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Just an FYI, Perry Kiehl makes umbrella covers for our cars. They fit over the roof to keep the rain out of the passenger compartment.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-17042-1481582898.jpg)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=308737&hl=
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Jan 23 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 9,867

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 23 2018, 09:19 AM) *

Just an FYI, Perry Kiehl makes umbrella covers for our cars. They fit over the roof to keep the rain out of the passenger compartment.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-17042-1481582898.jpg)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=308737&hl=

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I carry mine in the trunk with me especially when I drive during the rainy season. It is 100% worth the money to have one.
+Quote Post
post Jan 27 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #58

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 23 2018, 01:43 AM) *

I can't drive it in the rain. I left it outside one night and came back to a cabin full of water. I adjusted the seal a bit the night before and it caused the rain to literally stream into my car. It was like a waterfall. Just incredible.

Mine isn’t quite that bad, but still an impressive amount of water and wind when I get caught in the rain. I worry about water getting under the carpet and rusting out the floorpan. I’m not positive either trunk is seale either. I’m thinking about just buying the full 914Rubber kit since I’m guessing the other rubber parts are also shot.

On another thread someone wrote he had a 12V hair dryer hooked up to his defogger. I wonder whether that would actually work?
+Quote Post
moost
post Jan 28 2018, 03:17 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(98101 @ Jan 27 2018, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(moost @ Jan 23 2018, 01:43 AM) *

Mine isn’t quite that bad, but still an impressive amount of water and wind when I get caught in the rain. I worry about water getting under the carpet and rusting out the floorpan. I’m not positive either trunk is seale either. I’m thinking about just buying the full 914Rubber kit since I’m guessing the other rubber parts are also shot.

On another thread someone wrote he had a 12V hair dryer hooked up to his defogger. I wonder whether that would actually work?

What about a mrheater? I think that would be more efficient than a 12v car defroster which will output almost no heat. I thought about putting a small propane tank in the frunk and running a hose to the cabin. It would warmup the cabin in less than 30 seconds.
+Quote Post
green914
post Jan 28 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 01:35 PM