Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Draining fuel tank
jnaughton
post May 31 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,166

All: I appears the fuel pump on my /6 has packed it in. I siphoned off as much as I can get out, what is the technique for draining the balance without spilling it everywhere ?

Jim Naughton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d914
post May 31 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

I just did my fuel system, options:

- clamp the hose so it doesn't leak

- take the front under tray off and undo one of the nuts on the tank and catch in a bucket, or cut the line if you are going to replace

- does the pump work at all??? use it to empty the tank, directly into a gas can..

NO SMOKING< could be bad for car!!!
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 31 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Are you draining the tank only for purpose of replacing the pump?
If so, don't. You can pinch the lines to/from the tank just before they reach the pump. There are special clamps for the job but I usually use a C clamp, using a rag to shield the line. No need to clamp real tight. You can also quickly remove the line and plug it with appropriate diameter bolt.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 31 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

i agree Greg except - i don't like clamping hoses. to -really- drain it, you need to be under the tank. if you don't know how old the hoses there are, it might be as good time to consider changing them. if they're brittle and shatter when you try to clamp them, gasoline will go everywhere *and* you'll need to change them :-) ...

my suggestion - get a tube or two of RTV silicone rubber. it has no purpose on a 914, but the segment-stepped caps are really convenient for plugging tank outlets and fuel hoses.

if you have a non-electric water heater, this job might be better done outdoors than in your garage. wear rubber gloves, wear a Tee shirt you can get off in a hurry, and have toweling ready - you will get gasoline running down your arms. and eye protection - gasoline in the eyes (splashing...) hurts.

oh - and WELCOME !
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:59 AM