Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draining fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jnaughton
All: I appears the fuel pump on my /6 has packed it in. I siphoned off as much as I can get out, what is the technique for draining the balance without spilling it everywhere ?

Jim Naughton
d914
I just did my fuel system, options:

- clamp the hose so it doesn't leak

- take the front under tray off and undo one of the nuts on the tank and catch in a bucket, or cut the line if you are going to replace

- does the pump work at all??? use it to empty the tank, directly into a gas can..

NO SMOKING< could be bad for car!!!
Porsche Rescue
Are you draining the tank only for purpose of replacing the pump?
If so, don't. You can pinch the lines to/from the tank just before they reach the pump. There are special clamps for the job but I usually use a C clamp, using a rag to shield the line. No need to clamp real tight. You can also quickly remove the line and plug it with appropriate diameter bolt.
ArtechnikA
i agree Greg except - i don't like clamping hoses. to -really- drain it, you need to be under the tank. if you don't know how old the hoses there are, it might be as good time to consider changing them. if they're brittle and shatter when you try to clamp them, gasoline will go everywhere *and* you'll need to change them :-) ...

my suggestion - get a tube or two of RTV silicone rubber. it has no purpose on a 914, but the segment-stepped caps are really convenient for plugging tank outlets and fuel hoses.

if you have a non-electric water heater, this job might be better done outdoors than in your garage. wear rubber gloves, wear a Tee shirt you can get off in a hurry, and have toweling ready - you will get gasoline running down your arms. and eye protection - gasoline in the eyes (splashing...) hurts.

oh - and WELCOME !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.