Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> turn signals stopped working, just the indicators
malcolm2
post Jan 25 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

This happened to me before. I wish I could remember what I (or we) did to fix it. I did a search for my posts and it did not jump out at me. So if anyone remembers, or has recently repaired this, speak up....

OK here is the deal. I activate the turn signal lever and sometimes the dash indicator will blink twice. Most times not.

I don't hear a CLICK when they do work.

The Hazards do the same thing.

The fuse is fine.

The parking feature works fine on either side. Does everyone know that when the key is off and out, if you activate the signal lever, the lights come on on that side?

Let know...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Jan 25 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

For me, the problem was a failed relay on the fuse panel plate. I replaced it with a new Wehrle 914-618-303-11/206 purchased on eBay. Interesting that the old one, replaced by a previous owner, only had three prongs. The new one has four prongs/contacts and it has restored full function.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 25 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Jan 25 2018, 08:36 PM) *

For me, the problem was a failed relay on the fuse panel plate. I replaced it with a new Wehrle 914-618-303-11/206 purchased on eBay. Interesting that the old one, replaced by a previous owner, only had three prongs. The new one has four prongs/contacts and it has restored full function.

So you had the same symptoms?
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Jan 25 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Yes, same symptoms is what I recall plus another problem owing to the missing 4th contact on the local auto parts store sourced relay. I got my information from info I found in a search here but can't quite remember my search particulars. This was for a 1974 2.0L.
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Jan 25 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My indicator only works when using the left directional and for one blink with the right directional and then goes dark. Bad relay too?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 26 2018, 01:45 AM
Post #6

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 25 2018, 09:10 PM) *

This happened to me before. I wish I could remember what I (or we) did to fix it. I did a search for my posts and it did not jump out at me. So if anyone remembers, or has recently repaired this, speak up....

OK here is the deal. I activate the turn signal lever and sometimes the dash indicator will blink twice. Most times not.

I don't hear a CLICK when they do work.

The Hazards do the same thing.

The fuse is fine.

The parking feature works fine on either side. Does everyone know that when the key is off and out, if you activate the signal lever, the lights come on on that side?

Let know...

The 4th terminal of the flasher relay drives the tachometer turnsignal indicator. See the diagram below. The terminal marked C is driven to 12V through a secondary relay in the flasher. The exterior bulb current flows through the secondary coil and turns on the tach indicator. This secondary coil loses efficiency over time and doesn't pull in with the turnsignals.

There's a common flasher available EP26 which is pin compatible with the OEM flasher. The only issue with EP26 is the C or C2 pin is not driven. I detail on my website (link below) how to make this mod. It is very easy to do. Or you can buy the EP26 from me already modified.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 26 2018, 01:50 AM
Post #7

Jerry

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jan 25 2018, 10:38 PM) *

My indicator only works when using the left directional and for one blink with the right directional and then goes dark. Bad relay too?

Same problem as the OP. Reason it works on left but not right could be different bulbs on left or right exterior. Left draws more current and keeps the secondary relay closing. Right doesn't draw as much current as left and the secondary relay doesn't remain pulled in on each flash.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 26 2018, 07:07 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

One additional problem that I did not see yesterday, but once I noticed it this morning, the previous problem started to come back to mind.

the parking brake..... it is not blinking or lighting either.

You can see that it is in the circuit above too.

I believe I pulled the flasher relay last time and cleaned the spades. Once I re-installed it, everything worked. So it was a connection problem. Now I believe it is more. I will pull that relay today.

Thanks, more to come.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 26 2018, 07:11 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I see the part # listed above on one website claims that it fits our cars for years 73 to 76. Is everyone good with that?

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/turn-signa...tml?3593=522642
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 26 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #10

Jerry

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 26 2018, 08:07 AM) *

One additional problem that I did not see yesterday, but once I noticed it this morning, the previous problem started to come back to mind.

The 914 OEM flasher was designed to flash even with minuscule load current like the parking brake light. The Wehrle flasher may not flash with such a light load.

The EP26 flasher is LED-compatible and flashes at a very low current, like 4ma. Although the EP26 doesn't have the 2nd relay and if the ebrake is pulled, the tach turnsignal indicator will flash. This is true only for the later single turnsignal indicator configuration ('74-'76 cars).
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 29 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 26 2018, 03:23 PM) *

The 914 OEM flasher was designed to flash even with minuscule load current like the parking brake light. The Wehrle flasher may not flash with such a light load.

The EP26 flasher is LED-compatible and flashes at a very low current, like 4ma. Although the EP26 doesn't have the 2nd relay and if the ebrake is pulled, the tach turnsignal indicator will flash. This is true only for the later single turnsignal indicator configuration ('74-'76 cars).

My new one should arrive by Friday. I will let you know how it works.

BTW, as I removed the old flasher relay I had to squeeze it pretty hard. I must have left the hazards on cause I started to hear the flash. So the squeezing of the relay "fixed" it until I stopped squeezing. I believe the old one must have something loose.

More to come.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 31 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 26 2018, 03:23 PM) *

OK, you are correct. The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

https://youtu.be/EMNVTVqHEp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNVTVqHEp0
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jan 31 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

https://youtu.be/HdERp5e78eM?t=8m3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdERp5e78eM?t=8m3s

THis guy explains what is happening. I tried to start the above video in the middle when he has wired up a very low voltage bulb and you can hear the relay buzzing. If it does not work move the slider to 8 minutes and see what I mean.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 31 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Jerry

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 31 2018, 06:50 PM) *

...The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

The EP26 is available all over the web for $12-$15 and most FLAPS. However, the C2 pin isn't connected to anything. This is the pin which will drive the common connection of the L and R indicators in the tach. The main reason I resell these is I modify the relay to tie the C2 pin to ground on the circuit board inside the flasher.

There are several ways to solve this puzzle.

1) Find an OEM 914 flasher.
2) Purchase an EP26, pop the top and add 1 wire like I do. I show the mod on my website if you want to do it yourself.
3) Purchase and install an unmodified EP26, and add a "Y" pigtail like below to the common connection of the L and R turnsignals.
4) Purchase a modified EP26 from me.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 1 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Spoke,
I have gotten with Pelican about the problem and returning the part.

I have a bit of a hybrid tach set up. My car is a 75, I backdated the gauges to silver dot. Tim_ND helped me get the 2 blinkers working using the hazard wiring. I have a wiring layout somewhere if you want to see it.

So my question is, would I need the 911 relay or the modified 914 relay you sell? Are they different?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 1 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #16

Jerry

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Spoke,

I have a bit of a hybrid tach set up. My car is a 75, I backdated the gauges to silver dot. Tim_ND helped me get the 2 blinkers working using the hazard wiring. I have a wiring layout somewhere if you want to see it.

So my question is, would I need the 911 relay or the modified 914 relay you sell? Are they different?

It's the same part for 911 and 914 w/2 indicators. Only different variation is 914 with 1 indicator. In this case the C2 pin gets connected to 49a when the flasher is active.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 1 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 1 2018, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Spoke,

It's the same part for 911 and 914 w/2 indicators. Only different variation is 914 with 1 indicator. In this case the C2 pin gets connected to 49a when the flasher is active.

Ok. Since the original one worked as i have it wired now i'll buy your 914 one.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 2 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I was afraid our friends at "the BIRD" would not take-back an electrical part. It is not looking like they will. Good thing it only cost me $18-ish with shipping.

I just ordered a few SPOKE items, including the relay. Gonna try a few LEDs too. Got the wart light and the back-up light. Have you thought about an LED license plate light?

Good thing it is cold and rainy this weekend. I won't have the urge to drive around without turn signals.....
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Feb 2 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #19

Hmmm. I have two '74 914s and didn't even know the hand brake light was supposed to blink and heck it's annoying enough with relay buzzing and the light steady-on. Oh well. Hopefully it will blink after I install Spoke's relay along with the complete set of his LED lights that I purchased a month ago. These cars keep teaching me new things.
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Jul 30 2019, 07:46 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,489

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 31 2018, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 31 2018, 06:50 PM) *

...The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

The EP26 is available all over the web for $12-$15 and most FLAPS. However, the C2 pin isn't connected to anything. This is the pin which will drive the common connection of the L and R indicators in the tach. The main reason I resell these is I modify the relay to tie the C2 pin to ground on the circuit board inside the flasher.

There are several ways to solve this puzzle.

1) Find an OEM 914 flasher.
2) Purchase an EP26, pop the top and add 1 wire like I do. I show the mod on my website if you want to do it yourself.
3) Purchase and install an unmodified EP26, and add a "Y" pigtail like below to the common connection of the L and R turnsignals.
4) Purchase a modified EP26 from me.

Spoke, I clicked thru to your website based on this thread and a problem I'm experiencing with my brake light flashing and weak right turn signal dash light (blinks normally on the dash for 2 blinks and then both right and left indicators flash very dimly, though the front and rear lights blink normally). I click thru to the 914 link and ordered a relay, sent payment info, etc. I haven't received the relay, nor heard anything about the order. I just went back to your website and now when I click on 914 the page is blank.

HELP
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:26 AM