Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turn signals stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
This happened to me before. I wish I could remember what I (or we) did to fix it. I did a search for my posts and it did not jump out at me. So if anyone remembers, or has recently repaired this, speak up....

OK here is the deal. I activate the turn signal lever and sometimes the dash indicator will blink twice. Most times not.

I don't hear a CLICK when they do work.

The Hazards do the same thing.

The fuse is fine.

The parking feature works fine on either side. Does everyone know that when the key is off and out, if you activate the signal lever, the lights come on on that side?

Let know...
scallyk9
For me, the problem was a failed relay on the fuse panel plate. I replaced it with a new Wehrle 914-618-303-11/206 purchased on eBay. Interesting that the old one, replaced by a previous owner, only had three prongs. The new one has four prongs/contacts and it has restored full function.
malcolm2
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Jan 25 2018, 08:36 PM) *

For me, the problem was a failed relay on the fuse panel plate. I replaced it with a new Wehrle 914-618-303-11/206 purchased on eBay. Interesting that the old one, replaced by a previous owner, only had three prongs. The new one has four prongs/contacts and it has restored full function.

So you had the same symptoms?
scallyk9
Yes, same symptoms is what I recall plus another problem owing to the missing 4th contact on the local auto parts store sourced relay. I got my information from info I found in a search here but can't quite remember my search particulars. This was for a 1974 2.0L.
BENBRO02
My indicator only works when using the left directional and for one blink with the right directional and then goes dark. Bad relay too?
Spoke
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 25 2018, 09:10 PM) *

This happened to me before. I wish I could remember what I (or we) did to fix it. I did a search for my posts and it did not jump out at me. So if anyone remembers, or has recently repaired this, speak up....

OK here is the deal. I activate the turn signal lever and sometimes the dash indicator will blink twice. Most times not.

I don't hear a CLICK when they do work.

The Hazards do the same thing.

The fuse is fine.

The parking feature works fine on either side. Does everyone know that when the key is off and out, if you activate the signal lever, the lights come on on that side?

Let know...

The 4th terminal of the flasher relay drives the tachometer turnsignal indicator. See the diagram below. The terminal marked C is driven to 12V through a secondary relay in the flasher. The exterior bulb current flows through the secondary coil and turns on the tach indicator. This secondary coil loses efficiency over time and doesn't pull in with the turnsignals.

There's a common flasher available EP26 which is pin compatible with the OEM flasher. The only issue with EP26 is the C or C2 pin is not driven. I detail on my website (link below) how to make this mod. It is very easy to do. Or you can buy the EP26 from me already modified.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Jan 25 2018, 10:38 PM) *

My indicator only works when using the left directional and for one blink with the right directional and then goes dark. Bad relay too?

Same problem as the OP. Reason it works on left but not right could be different bulbs on left or right exterior. Left draws more current and keeps the secondary relay closing. Right doesn't draw as much current as left and the secondary relay doesn't remain pulled in on each flash.
malcolm2
One additional problem that I did not see yesterday, but once I noticed it this morning, the previous problem started to come back to mind.

the parking brake..... it is not blinking or lighting either.

You can see that it is in the circuit above too.

I believe I pulled the flasher relay last time and cleaned the spades. Once I re-installed it, everything worked. So it was a connection problem. Now I believe it is more. I will pull that relay today.

Thanks, more to come.
malcolm2
I see the part # listed above on one website claims that it fits our cars for years 73 to 76. Is everyone good with that?

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/turn-signa...tml?3593=522642
Spoke
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 26 2018, 08:07 AM) *

One additional problem that I did not see yesterday, but once I noticed it this morning, the previous problem started to come back to mind.

The 914 OEM flasher was designed to flash even with minuscule load current like the parking brake light. The Wehrle flasher may not flash with such a light load.

The EP26 flasher is LED-compatible and flashes at a very low current, like 4ma. Although the EP26 doesn't have the 2nd relay and if the ebrake is pulled, the tach turnsignal indicator will flash. This is true only for the later single turnsignal indicator configuration ('74-'76 cars).
malcolm2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 26 2018, 03:23 PM) *

The 914 OEM flasher was designed to flash even with minuscule load current like the parking brake light. The Wehrle flasher may not flash with such a light load.

The EP26 flasher is LED-compatible and flashes at a very low current, like 4ma. Although the EP26 doesn't have the 2nd relay and if the ebrake is pulled, the tach turnsignal indicator will flash. This is true only for the later single turnsignal indicator configuration ('74-'76 cars).

My new one should arrive by Friday. I will let you know how it works.

BTW, as I removed the old flasher relay I had to squeeze it pretty hard. I must have left the hazards on cause I started to hear the flash. So the squeezing of the relay "fixed" it until I stopped squeezing. I believe the old one must have something loose.

More to come.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 26 2018, 03:23 PM) *

OK, you are correct. The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

https://youtu.be/EMNVTVqHEp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNVTVqHEp0
malcolm2
https://youtu.be/HdERp5e78eM?t=8m3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdERp5e78eM?t=8m3s

THis guy explains what is happening. I tried to start the above video in the middle when he has wired up a very low voltage bulb and you can hear the relay buzzing. If it does not work move the slider to 8 minutes and see what I mean.
Spoke
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 31 2018, 06:50 PM) *

...The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

The EP26 is available all over the web for $12-$15 and most FLAPS. However, the C2 pin isn't connected to anything. This is the pin which will drive the common connection of the L and R indicators in the tach. The main reason I resell these is I modify the relay to tie the C2 pin to ground on the circuit board inside the flasher.

There are several ways to solve this puzzle.

1) Find an OEM 914 flasher.
2) Purchase an EP26, pop the top and add 1 wire like I do. I show the mod on my website if you want to do it yourself.
3) Purchase and install an unmodified EP26, and add a "Y" pigtail like below to the common connection of the L and R turnsignals.
4) Purchase a modified EP26 from me.
malcolm2
Spoke,
I have gotten with Pelican about the problem and returning the part.

I have a bit of a hybrid tach set up. My car is a 75, I backdated the gauges to silver dot. Tim_ND helped me get the 2 blinkers working using the hazard wiring. I have a wiring layout somewhere if you want to see it.

So my question is, would I need the 911 relay or the modified 914 relay you sell? Are they different?
Spoke
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Spoke,

I have a bit of a hybrid tach set up. My car is a 75, I backdated the gauges to silver dot. Tim_ND helped me get the 2 blinkers working using the hazard wiring. I have a wiring layout somewhere if you want to see it.

So my question is, would I need the 911 relay or the modified 914 relay you sell? Are they different?

It's the same part for 911 and 914 w/2 indicators. Only different variation is 914 with 1 indicator. In this case the C2 pin gets connected to 49a when the flasher is active.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 1 2018, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 1 2018, 09:31 AM) *

Spoke,

It's the same part for 911 and 914 w/2 indicators. Only different variation is 914 with 1 indicator. In this case the C2 pin gets connected to 49a when the flasher is active.

Ok. Since the original one worked as i have it wired now i'll buy your 914 one.
malcolm2
I was afraid our friends at "the BIRD" would not take-back an electrical part. It is not looking like they will. Good thing it only cost me $18-ish with shipping.

I just ordered a few SPOKE items, including the relay. Gonna try a few LEDs too. Got the wart light and the back-up light. Have you thought about an LED license plate light?

Good thing it is cold and rainy this weekend. I won't have the urge to drive around without turn signals.....
scallyk9
Hmmm. I have two '74 914s and didn't even know the hand brake light was supposed to blink and heck it's annoying enough with relay buzzing and the light steady-on. Oh well. Hopefully it will blink after I install Spoke's relay along with the complete set of his LED lights that I purchased a month ago. These cars keep teaching me new things.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 31 2018, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 31 2018, 06:50 PM) *

...The new relay is installed. Blinkers work fine. Hazards work fine. The hand brake light does not blink and the relay just buzzes. What do I need to do. Is the one you make what I need?

The EP26 is available all over the web for $12-$15 and most FLAPS. However, the C2 pin isn't connected to anything. This is the pin which will drive the common connection of the L and R indicators in the tach. The main reason I resell these is I modify the relay to tie the C2 pin to ground on the circuit board inside the flasher.

There are several ways to solve this puzzle.

1) Find an OEM 914 flasher.
2) Purchase an EP26, pop the top and add 1 wire like I do. I show the mod on my website if you want to do it yourself.
3) Purchase and install an unmodified EP26, and add a "Y" pigtail like below to the common connection of the L and R turnsignals.
4) Purchase a modified EP26 from me.

Spoke, I clicked thru to your website based on this thread and a problem I'm experiencing with my brake light flashing and weak right turn signal dash light (blinks normally on the dash for 2 blinks and then both right and left indicators flash very dimly, though the front and rear lights blink normally). I click thru to the 914 link and ordered a relay, sent payment info, etc. I haven't received the relay, nor heard anything about the order. I just went back to your website and now when I click on 914 the page is blank.

HELP
Spoke
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Jul 30 2019, 09:46 PM) *

Spoke, I clicked thru to your website based on this thread and a problem I'm experiencing with my brake light flashing and weak right turn signal dash light (blinks normally on the dash for 2 blinks and then both right and left indicators flash very dimly, though the front and rear lights blink normally). I click thru to the 914 link and ordered a relay, sent payment info, etc. I haven't received the relay, nor heard anything about the order. I just went back to your website and now when I click on 914 the page is blank.

HELP

I have your order. I'll get it out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. Not a fun week for us. My wife broke her ankle and I've been the home nurse for the last week.

The website is still up. Maybe some cache issues?
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 30 2019, 10:14 PM) *

HELP

I have your order. I'll get it out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. Not a fun week for us. My wife broke her ankle and I've been the home nurse for the last week.

So sorry to hear about your wife's ankle, good on you for taking care of her! Thanks for the update and for all you do for us 4'teeners.
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 30 2019, 10:14 PM) *

HELP

@spoke

Thank you so much for your excellent service, the relay arrived quickly. I had to leave last week for a trip to Charleston so this weekend was the first opportunity to jump on the 914.

The turn signal switch had not been cancelling after returning to center for a long time so I ordered a replacement and thought I'd do the whole thing at the same time. I replaced the switch and checked to see if that by any chance corrected either the dim double flashing or by some outside chance also corrected the brake light warning flashing. Nope,.okay I didn't think so but worth a try.

Installed the new relay and the turn signals functioned normally. The left signal continued to work fine and the right turn signal stopped the dim double blinking it was doing before and gave a solid flashing. Unfortunately the parking brake light continued to flash all the time HOORAY I thought I was half way there.

As I continued to search for the cause of the braking brake light problem I discovered that the brake master cylinder switch was a single pole switch not the double pole that was needed and was not hooked up at all. I tried hooking up each of the two wires individually, then hooking up each and grounding the other one but nothing seemed to make any difference.

I ordered the correct switch today and will replace it next week when it arrives. I reinstalled the steering wheel and started the car to test the horn and turn signals, flipped the turn signal to the right turn position and the left turn indicator was flashing, tried the left turn position and the right turn indicator was flashing. I pulled the new relay out and reinstalled the old one and now both turn signals and indicators operate normally with the old relay. Returned the new relay to the car and the reversed indicator continues. Btw, the front and rear turn signals continue to function normally the whole time.

I pulled the instrument panel and I see there is a resistor inline to the brake light warning light. Resistor #41806. Wondering if that could possibly be the problem. Can't find on online, any idea what the resistor value is for the resistor or where I can find one.

Thinking about switching to Lucus electric system.

You really seem to know your stuff and I'm hoping that you can give some insight to what is happening here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Spoke
From what you mentioned, sounds like there are 2 issues. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

1) Left turnsignal indicator flashes on right turnsignal and Right indicator on left turnsignal. This is to be expected with EP26. Has more to do with the way Porsche wired the R and L indicators. See the top diagram below.

Notice the LEFT indicator is connected to the RIGHT turnsignals and RIGHT indicator to the LEFT turnsignals. This is OEM. The OEM flasher connects pin K to 12V when flashing. For example, if the LEFT turnsignal is active, pin K is 12V and current flows through the LEFT indicator through the RIGHT turnsignal bulbs. Turnsignal bulbs are much less impedance and do not turn on, only the indicator turns on. This secondary relay connecting to pin K loses efficiency over time and doesn't work correctly as you have observed.

With EP26, see bottom diagram. Now pin C2 (similar to K) is connected to ground. So now the LEFT indicator flashes with the RIGHT turnsignals. To fix this, pop out the tach and take the entire indicator assembly out, bulb and all and swap L to R.

2) Brake warning flashes all the time. Notice 2 switches; one for the e-brake and one for the MC. One of these wires is grounding at all times. If both switches are open, the brake warning bulb cannot light. Try disconnecting the MC wires then test. If still flashing, try disconnecting the e-brake switch. One of these 2 are always providing a path to ground for the warning light and flasher.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 11 2019, 08:19 PM) *

From what you mentioned, sounds like there are 2 issues. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

1) Left turnsignal indicator flashes on right turnsignal and Right indicator on left turnsignal. This is to be expected with EP26. Has more to do with the way Porsche wired the R and L indicators. See the top diagram below.

Notice the LEFT indicator is connected to the RIGHT turnsignals and RIGHT indicator to the LEFT turnsignals. This is OEM. The OEM flasher connects pin K to 12V when flashing. For example, if the LEFT turnsignal is active, pin K is 12V and current flows through the LEFT indicator through the RIGHT turnsignal bulbs. Turnsignal bulbs are much less impedance and do not turn on, only the indicator turns on. This secondary relay connecting to pin K loses efficiency over time and doesn't work correctly as you have observed.

With EP26, see bottom diagram. Now pin C2 (similar to K) is connected to ground. So now the LEFT indicator flashes with the RIGHT turnsignals. To fix this, pop out the tach and take the entire indicator assembly out, bulb and all and swap L to R.

2) Brake warning flashes all the time. Notice 2 switches; one for the e-brake and one for the MC. One of these wires is grounding at all times. If both switches are open, the brake warning bulb cannot light. Try disconnecting the MC wires then test. If still flashing, try disconnecting the e-brake switch. One of these 2 are always providing a path to ground for the warning light and flasher.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

WOW! Thanks for the quick and informative reply! I'll study the post, research further and report back

I LOVE 914world!

Thx Spoke!
Minerva's 914

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Okay, finally back on it this morning. Issue #2, brake light flashing all the time.

I disconnected both of the switches and the light flashes all the time. Actually, I disconnected the e-brake switch because the m/c switch is the wrong single pole switch (correct duel circuit on order but has not arrived yet) so that has been disconnected as far as I know since the car came back from restoration and the shop installed a new m/c.

I further tested the e-b switch and it makes and breaks continuity so it appears to function normally.

Testing the wires at the m-c switch, the brown wire has continuity to ground but the brown / white stripe wire does not, is that right?

Where would I look next, think there is a ground fault somewhere? I've cleaned and inspected the grounds behind the fuse panel and at both headlights,

Thanks again for all your help.
Spoke
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Aug 17 2019, 03:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Okay, finally back on it this morning. Issue #2, brake light flashing all the time.

I disconnected both of the switches and the light flashes all the time. Actually, I disconnected the e-brake switch because the m/c switch is the wrong single pole switch (correct duel circuit on order but has not arrived yet) so that has been disconnected as far as I know since the car came back from restoration and the shop installed a new m/c.

I further tested the e-b switch and it makes and breaks continuity so it appears to function normally.

Testing the wires at the m-c switch, the brown wire has continuity to ground but the brown / white stripe wire does not, is that right?

Where would I look next, think there is a ground fault somewhere? I've cleaned and inspected the grounds behind the fuse panel and at both headlights,

Thanks again for all your help.

So both switches are disconnected and the brake warning light still flashes.

The diagram below is adjusted to reflect the switches removed. If the lamp is still flashing then there is a leakage path to ground as shown in the diagram. The electrons flowing through the lamp have to be going through something to ground.

Try this test:
1) Remove the brake warning bulb.
2) Determine which wire is going to the flasher and which is going to the switches. We want the wire going to the switches. To determine which wire is which, turn on the 4-ways and measure the voltage on each wire (to chassis). The one from the flasher will be pulsating 0 - 12V - 0 ...
3) Now measure the resistance of the other wire to chassis. This should be infinite. If you measure any appreciable resistance (< 1000 ohms) you have a shorted wire.

Maybe check the wire under the seat since it is more exposed than the MC brake wires.

Also, about the switch for the MC, the single pole and dual pole switch are identical in function and can be interchanged. The single pole shorts to ground through the MC and thus the 2nd wire (ground wire; brown color) is not used and can be left hanging.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.