Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cleveland Rocks! (With a brake question)
CptTripps
post Jun 2 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I finally started digging into my 320i caliper that had the busted-off bleeder valve last night. I figured I'd get it off of there, drill the old one out, 'Easy-Out' the old one and get her back on the road. Boy did that sound a lot easier than it was!

After a long ordeal to get my DF rim off the car, I was in the business of taking my caliper off. No problems there! I drilled out the FIRST easy-out that broke off inside the caliper. Evidently, I didn't learn my lesson. The next one broke off in there too! Now I'm pissed...grab the Dremel, and start to put a line in the whole mess to take it out with a screwdriver. 5min later, it looks like this ( | ) so I'm off to the races...not. That broke too, so NOW it looks like this. | } Crap...maybe I'll go to the old calipers...

So I look at them...WAY worse than I remember. The pads are 3/4"thick at the top, and 1/8" on the bottom. That aint going to cut it...I scream into the night..."WHERE IN THE #$%@ AM I GOING TO GET A SET OF MACHINED 320i CALIPERS AT 10:00pm IN CLEVELAND!"

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

not 30sec later, Samson calls me to see if I need help with the optical ignition that I wanted to do.

Doug: "Don't you have a set of 320i calipers that you aren't using yet?"
Samson: "Yeah, but they are on the west side..."
Doug: "Can I come get them?"
Samson: "I'll be home in 20...see you there."

I got there before HE did...to take possession of a rebuilt set of machined 320i calipers! I paid the man, thanked him kindly, and was on the way back to the house to finish the deal.

And you Cali guys think you have all the cool friends!

Here is the question part...

I got them put on the car, and bled the lines my self with the power-bleeder. Then again with my wife, then again this morning. I'm STILL not getting the braking that I think the car is capable of. I have a NEW 19mm master, replaced all the rubber lines, all the hard lines from the rubber to the calipers, new Metal Master pads, and have bled the system 5 times...still takes me forever to stop. I've got a "T" for the rear that I'll do later tonight, but Im out of ideas...

Anyone???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
CptTripps   Cleveland Rocks! (With a brake question)   Jun 2 2005, 09:27 AM
skline   Did you put the bleeders on top or on the bottom? ...   Jun 2 2005, 09:36 AM
CptTripps     Jun 2 2005, 09:38 AM
Eric_Shea     Jun 2 2005, 09:44 AM
scott thacher   i would say you are wasteing your time bleeding if...   Jun 2 2005, 09:44 AM
CptTripps   Ok, I'll go over all that tonight. I'm al...   Jun 2 2005, 10:00 AM
skline   If you can find them, go for the ceramic pads. I d...   Jun 2 2005, 10:04 AM
CptTripps   If anyone has part numbers...that'd help.   Jun 2 2005, 10:08 AM
Travis Neff   I have metal master pads - all new braking system ...   Jun 2 2005, 11:02 AM
Eric_Shea   Organic stops best vs. semi-metallic. Porterfield...   Jun 2 2005, 11:09 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:47 PM