Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '74 914 2.0L with only 5K miles....
pete000
post Feb 15 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I had a 78 924 that was Ziebarted, they slathered that black tar all over that poor car. Drilled the holes all over and this was in Florida! I think it was a $98.00 option. It was so hard working on the suspension. Had to scrape the goo off every nut and bolt. What a horrible invention.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Feb 15 2018, 05:27 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I personally abhor cars that get the Zeibart rust proof treatment.
What an abomination!
No matter how nice the car is...like this current car for discussion...I wouldn't want it.

That said, the remainder of the car is drop dead beautiful.
The more detailed pics there are....the better.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 15 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #43

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

[quote name='Ansbacher' date='Feb 15 2018, 12:02 PM' post='2579389']
[quote name='SKL1' date='Feb 14 2018, 05:20 PM' post='2579107']
Had the '73 HAD the rear tits and were removed for 1974, everyone would be saying here that it was part of the cheapening down of the '74 model year. I am glad to be a '74 owner, as it rarer than the '73 and somewhat of a one-off model year. Go 1974!

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
[/quote]

Nothing against the 74's - I was just pointing out the changes made to production by Porsche to keep the car price competitive with their Japanese, Brit & Italian sports car competition. Going + $2000 from $5299 to $7299 in about 6-8 months was killing their sales, so they made some adjustments. It's just part of the History of the 914s.

Also, 73 & 74 MYs were the peak 914 production number years, with something like 40-60% being 2.0s (maybe - just a SWAG estimate by me), so production of 73 & 74 was about the same, with 74 only slightly less (by about 15%+/- IIRC). Note that the production number at the chart in the 914info on here is by ""Calendar Year," so it mixes the 2 MYs in each calendar year. Ergo, part of the 73 production were 74 MYs & only part of 74 were 74 MY (ther rest were 75 MY), & part of 72 were 73 MYs (but all 2.0's were 73 MY, & the part of the 1.7s were 72 MY) & only part of 73 were 73 MY.

The F & R Tits & BUBs were phased in by USA law under US-DOT for their phase-in of the mandated crash protection, with the "Tits" being 3 mph crash protection (or 5 mph?), with F mandated for 73 MY cars, & F + R for 74 MY cars; then the BUBs were 7 mph crash protection F & R mandated for the 75> MY.

So they couldn't have reversed the F+R tits for F only tits in 74 & 73 as a cost savings step.

Porsche did Tits & BUBs on the 914s, & Tits & according bumpers on the 911/912E/930's. However, the 914 BUBs were actually the test bed for the later body fared bumper covers of the later 964> era 914s - although body color painted in the latter case. So our 914s actually helped out the future bumper design of the 911, 924/944/968 & 928 etc. model lines!

IMHO the BUBs look great on the darker colored 914s & good on lighter colored ones (too bad they hadn't tried the body color paint, rather than all in flat black). Also IMHO, I'm okay with the look of F &/or F+R tits, but think that the early plain chrome bumpers looked better - even if less functional.

And - yes - I have benefited on several occasions with the front tits on my 73 saving the need for a new front bumper, but only in very low speed collisions.

While many feel that the 75-76 BUBs is a polarizing look & many hate them, the more critical change from 73-74 MYs was the introduction of more stringent smog controls starting in 73 MY & increased in 75> MY - wherein for CA it required the fateful "Crapalytic Converter" - making CA 914 even more gutless than its 49 State siblings. On top of that, the new stronger 7 mph BUBs added 200-300 lbs. to an already detuned car - exacerbating the power loss perception when driving them.

To illustrate this power comparison for the USA engines - the 70-72 1.7s put out 80 HP & dropped to 72 HP in 73 with the 1st stage of smog controls added, while the 1.8 improved that to 76 HP; while the 73-74 2.0 put out 95 HP, then the 2L's dropped to 88 HP for 75-76 - which is not much more than a nice 72 1.7 benefiting from all the updates of adjustable passenger seat, added dash vents, better tuned tail-shifter trans, etc. Add 200-300 lbs. more weight from the BUBs, & the power-to-weight ratio of a 75-76 2L is nearly the same as a 70-72 1.7L 914.

IMHO & for my own personal choice when I got my 914 in late 1975 - I test drove a couple of dozen 914s from every MY 70-76 - including a 71 914-6 which a buddy owned which was way out of my budget. While I loved the looks of the 75-76 in the Anacona Blue Metallic & Laguna Blue with White interior - I was nonplussed by the lack of power (& power-to-weight) making them more sluggish than the used 73-74 2L's which I'd test driven then. And my monthly payment would've been nearly the same with the used car at 3 year 80% financing at a higher interest rate, as would the new 75-76 at 5 year 100% loan at a lower rate - so price really wasn't a factor.

I'm just sharing some of the 914 history here - not making judgements on any particular MY or model, & only was pointing out that there were other mitigating factors which - at present - do not make the pricing of a 74 2.0 higher than a similarly equipped, optioned, miles & condition 73 2L.

Bottom line is that we all make/made our 914 decision(s) based on what fits us best. So yes Ansbacher, be proud of your 74! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
davehg
post Feb 15 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 21,443

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 09:49 AM) *

It needs flares and a 3.2

You mean...it needs riveted flares and a 3.2

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1518754618.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 15 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #45

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 14 2018, 12:31 PM) *

So I'll have to disagree with you on the 74 2L's being more valuable nor more desirable - even in later parts of the 74 MY production.

You are more impassioned than me about this topic Tom - no worries, we can disagree and it wont ruin our friendship.

For me, as I qualified my comments before, "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL" - condition, options, etc. - the features of the 74 model takes the lead on preference by a hair. Everyone always says the '73s are 'better' but I don't always follow the crowd. Specifically, I happen to prefer the:

*extra safety of the side door bars and better window lifters over the early 73's
*black center gauges, door sills, tailbadges and window squirters, because they look cleaner. I don't read them as 'cheaper' but as an improvement
*EFI components - the 73 MPS/ECU was a workaround, they figured it out beginning in 74
*F&R bumper guards make the car look longer
*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?

I guess I mainly just take exception with the unqualified generalization that the 73s (implying all 73s) are better than the 74s. Its not always true to my eye.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 16 2018, 07:10 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 16 2018, 12:59 AM) *

So I'll have to disagree with you on the 74 2L's being more valuable nor more desirable - even in later parts of the 74 MY production.

You are more impassioned than me about this topic Tom - no worries, we can disagree and it wont ruin our friendship.

For me, as I qualified my comments before, "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL" - condition, options, etc. - the features of the 74 model takes the lead on preference by a hair. Everyone always says the '73s are 'better' but I don't always follow the crowd. Specifically, I happen to prefer the:

*extra safety of the side door bars and better window lifters over the early 73's
*black center gauges, door sills, tailbadges and window squirters, because they look cleaner. I don't read them as 'cheaper' but as an improvement
*EFI components - the 73 MPS/ECU was a workaround, they figured it out beginning in 74
*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?

I guess I mainly just take exception with the unqualified generalization that the 73s (implying all 73s) are better than the 74s. Its not always true to my eye.

......I have to agree with this statement.

"*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?"

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 16 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #47

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Jeff B makes a darn good argument...

74s are the best 914s.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 16 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #48

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 15 2018, 10:59 PM) *

Yes Jeff, we can agree to disagree & remain friends! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As a 73 owner, I have to say that mine is best!
.... or at least it will be once restored/repaired, that is! Getting close to body shop time now .... finally! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

BTW - I wasn't talking about the "Silver Dot" vs. "Black Dot" gauges look - although I personally prefer the old school 50's & 60's Porsche look of the silver dot gauges.

I meant the 2 "cost savings" measures on gauges which Porsche took for 74> 914s were that the early 70-73 glass bezels went to clear plastic.

Plus they did the typical VW cost cut of going from both L & R turn signal indicators in the Tach, to the ubiquitous single indicator light for both directions, so you cannot tell if you have which signal direction going. I didn't like that about the new 75 & 76 914 2L's that I drove new, nor do I like it in our 88 Westy van.

Also, I put forth a qualified generalization only applying to lesser cars other than this 74 2L example, your & other very clean LEs, etc. It only applies to those trying to find a "fully loaded" 2.0, & that being easier with the 73's which mostly had the AG+PG option groups.

However, I did disagree with you that the 74's are less rare by much production (except LEs), & that there were improvements to them which make them more valuable than 73s.

And many prefer the early lighter doors without the sidebeams in the early production 73's like mine, since they added 200+/- lbs. to the power-to-weight ratio performance equation.

Again, all things 914 come down to the preferences of the guy or gal writing the check! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - I technically own one of each, cuz my parts car (body only ;-) is a 74 2.0! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Feb 17 2018, 06:30 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 15 2018, 11:06 AM) *

My '74 2.0L was built just 67 cars before this one....

Unfortunately, rust proofing was pretty common back in the day.

When I bought mine new my dealer tried their darnest to get me to get the rust proofing option. I refused and it was one of my best decisions. My wives, well that is another story.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 17 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #50

TMI....

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 17 2018, 05:30 AM) *

When I bought mine new my dealer tried their darnest to get me to get the rust proofing option. I refused and it was one of my best decisions. My wives, well that is another story.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Been there, done that! ... one ex anyway!

The dealers made & still do make big profits on dealer installed services, options & accessories - so they pushed the Zeibart & other stuff.

This can be really ludicrous, in trying to sell you things already on your new car, such as the VW dealer "automatically" adding on ScotchGaurding the upholstery for our `88 Westfalia CamperGL - when the Westfalia Plant who finished the full campers already did it, & it's listed in the VW Sales brochure!! Needless to say, I had them remove the "automatic charge" as total BS!

Also, a few of the unscrupulous Porsche+Audi dealers back in the day were notorious from removing the alloy wheels from 914s coming from the factory so equipped, replacing them with steelies, & then offering to "add them" for the customer at extra cost - thereby double charging for the wheels (i.e.: both on window sticker price + dealer invoice options price over sticker price).

This was in addition to the even more common P+A dealer trick of stealing the alloy spares, replacing with a steel spare, & then selling a set of 4 at 100% profit from the stolen spares from every 4th 914 sold that way. A few buyers got savvy & insisted that they replace the stolen spare alloys factory fitted to ALL alloy equipped 914s 70-76 MYs (it was never a Porsche cost saving measure, as some have said).

Unfortunately the original owner PO from whom I bought my 914 not only didn't know about the steal the spare trick, but also apparently didn't know that the BO Recall was supposed to replace the incorrect p/n: -00 non-self-centering 2L Fuchs with a new set of 5 p/n: -01 self-centering (hub-centric) wheels to fit over the "new for 73 MY" self-centering front hubs' lip at the center hub. So the dealer sold them 4 Rivieras at extra cost & stole the alloy spare for a steelie. That dealer was one of the worst for all of the dirty tricks, & is no longer around,

Also, the PO original owner of my 73 bought the black underbody/wheel wells black spray-on coating only, which I have to say did stop rust coming from the outside - in, but not much good from the inside - rusting out, as where the window washer bottle & MC leaked down into the lower cavities to the bottom (as well as all those topside spots where 914s are notorious for rusting in-to-outside where Karmann injected foam, etc.).

Fun-n-Games in Porsche-land!

Back to the actual subject at hand with this gorgeous Zambezi on Black 74 2.0 - to tie the above back in - it looks like this one escaped the spare alloy thievery of it's dealer, as it has all 5 Fuchs 2L's intact!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-18138-1518704236.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 21 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great year, great color, great condition, great history. Perfect in almost every way. In fact too perfect as it turns out. If this car was 25-35k mile and $40-$50k I would be ALL over it! But I don't own a museum or collection so....I'm out.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 6 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #52

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Just spoke to my 914 friend that helps out with the Gooding auction, he drove the car and did the inspection on it and said it drives like new except reverse is a bit difficult to get into. He thinks there was a respray on one side of the car and the whole car has a decent amount of orangepeal that he finds odd. Ill post the pics when I get them.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 6 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #53

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

A tasteful way to cover the holes in the bumpers is to use some of the glovebox pivot screws. They are chrome, with a large head, do not look out of place, and you don't have to weld up a good bumper. Just my .02
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2018, 01:01 PM
Post #54

Spooling.... Please wait

Hammer dropped at 85k!
+Quote Post
Cal
post Mar 9 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2018, 02:01 PM) *

Hammer dropped at 85k!

I just saw that.....did the $85K include the commission?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #56

Spooling.... Please wait

My buddy at the auction said hammer dropped at 85k so I dont think so.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Mar 9 2018, 02:33 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,510

I saw this on facebook. Said it sold for $80K + premium

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 9 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #58

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Meh, its cool and all, but I will never understand people that buy cars then never drive them. I get the whole "investment" thing, but back in 74 did someone really think this would be a big money maker? Yes it sold for $80K, but 44yrs later. Someone missed out all the joy of driving a great little sports car for all those years.

+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Mar 9 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 10,510

I am with you Garold! It's sad to think that this one will just get passed around the collector circles and never really be enjoyed.

Unless the buyer bought this as his/her "beater" when they're not driving their multi million dollar cars...
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 9 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #60

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

That's a strong price for a 4 cyl 914.

I get the sentiment that it's a car that hasn't been driven and enjoyed; but isn't it's current status better than if had been driven hard, modified, neglected and ultimately put outside to rot like many of the cars we've seen? It's ok for a few of these cars to lead pampered lives strictly for viewing enjoyment....as long as it's in somebody else's garage.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:10 PM