Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh no! Lost oil pressure ...
porschetub
post Jun 6 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 7 2018, 03:01 PM) *

FWIW the "old school engine flush" is 1 part kerosene or diesel to 3 parts new oil, run until it gets warm to the touch and drain. Refill with new oil, change oil in 500 miles or 8 hours. This is what a Navy mechanic told me anyway.

Actually you are correct,diesel is kinda ok ,reminds me when I ran a smaller stern trawler my first job as chief engineer had 2 aux engines to run domestic power and winches,we swapped load every 200 hrs but they had a habit of puking injectors before service time (2K hrs) and the oil dipstick would float up and down in the tube,used to be a mad rush to change duty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
We used to do overhaul them every 45K hours ,the bottom end bearing were always within service hours but replaced anyway.
Anyway rant over .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jun 6 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Just drain the oil and split open the filter. If theres something wrong it wont fix itself and you'll just worry untill you know, an idientified problem is a problem that can be fixed, untill then its just speculation.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 7 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #63

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Goodness I need to read more posts! My 3.6 did the same thing some years back driving home from a long hard track day, but without that much drama. The valve-noise lasted for about 10 seconds several times. It wasn't all of the valves though, perhaps two of them and my oil pressure was fine.

A few folks thought it was likely the hydraulic valve adjusters and I found that a plausible thing.

Changed the oil, inspected the filter (no metal) and it never returned. I guess it's a good thing Porsche had two oil filters for that engine.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 04:51 PM