Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: 25-years today...
Cracker
post Feb 19 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Not looking for pity...just sharing some memories and pictures of my Dad (and my son). Please share your's too...

Twenty-five years ago and roughly 25-minutes my Dad was killed in a aircraft accident. He was 45-years young. He was a professional pilot with over 13,000 hours and worked for the FAA. Today is both a solemn time and a time for reflection for your family. He is sorely missed but his legacy lives on each day...our son is named after him - another "Rich Hull"!

Our Dad worked hard at his craft and sacrificed for our family...like most committed husbands and fathers genuinely do! He was selfless, devoted, a man of character, a better friend was not known, and a wonderful loving husband to my Mom.

For you veterans amongst us...thank you for your service! My Dad served two-tours in Vietnam and was shot down during his first. He spent nearly a year in the hospital and was paralyzed from the waste down. Over time he recovered, thank goodness, and then served a second time. He was a "scout" flying OH-6 helo's...

In December 2017, my parents would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. To this day, my Mom is still single - not even one date - she is not interested. She stated to her "teacher friends" at lunch one-week to the day before the accident that, "Rich has given me enough love to last a lifetime"; how prophetic that declaration proved to be!

I know this is "out of place" on the World but hey...25-year anniversaries only come around so often - I won't post this again for another 25-years!

PS: The last couple pictures are of my son and I on our trip out West this last Summer. There is no coincidence that I was 46 at that time. For you younger folks, do not hesitate in making the most of opportunities...tomorrow is not guaranteed! No regrets.

Tony/Cracker

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sb914
post Feb 19 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome post ! you must be proud. A real hero !!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 19 2018, 11:04 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

damn too young.

Sorry for the loss, however glad to know you have such good memories and stories from those that knew and loved him.

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 19 2018, 11:04 AM
Post #4

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

What a smile while pulling your tooth!!!!

Simply....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Feb 19 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

My dad, along with a group of his friends enlisted the day after
Pearl Harbor..
In 1973 he was crazy enough to go to Park Porsche in Lawrence Mass.
And co-sign a loan for his then 18 year old son to buy a traded in 914-6.
His friend, the owner of the dealership... told him he would never let his kid
buy a car like that..
In Feb. 1975 he passed away at 50.. I remember thinking at the time that 50
was pretty old and that he had lived a pretty long life ....
I’m 63 now and have a whole different perspective on what constitutes a long life...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 19 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Several years later...he did the "door-string-tooth" trick. No wonder I can be a little edgy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Gandalf: What a memory...thanks for sharing it with us!

Tony

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 19 2018, 12:04 PM) *

What a smile while pulling your tooth!!!!

Simply....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 19 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tony - I bet your mother looks at you and sees a lot of your father. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 19 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Mark: In how we look, probably; in how we act, no. My Dad was very different, direct but far more diplomatic than I am - that accounts for most folks though! I carry our "HS senior pics" in my wallet. Close enough? At least I know it wasn't the mailman! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PS: My Dad did part his hair on the wrong side but then again he was a lefty!

T

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2018, 01:18 PM) *

Tony - I bet your mother looks at you and sees a lot of your father. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Feb 19 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17,743

Beautiful family. Way to maintain the legacy.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 19 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Thank you for sharing this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Feb 19 2018, 01:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,509

I've posted this picture before... I was 18..

My dad never spoke much about his time in the Military... I did come across some pictures years ago.. But he never took the time to pass the stories along.
I know he did lose a lot of friends.

I was lucky in that the drinking age lowered to 18 when I was 18 and I did get to sit and talk to him over a few beers a few times.
A great guy.... Passed very quickly and unexpectedly. Nobody saw it coming..
He went to work one day and never came home.

He was awful proud of the 914 too...

Somehow, when we were buying the car, they messed up and the life insurance policy that was required for the loan ended up in his name, not mine and when he passed..
The loan payed off.. So it was actually his last present to me..
That is why I'll never sell it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 19 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #12

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very nice Tony. Thanks for posting. I’m sure your Mom is well pleased and proud
of her family. Love your pics.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #13

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Good Memories Tony!

Salute to your Dad's service during "Nam"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

To share about my Dad - he was Pitt Grad, Army ROTC there & Chemical Corps in Korea - & was deployed over to there before I was born. Apparently I was not to happy to greet that stranger when he got home a couple of years later, crying about that strange man holding me .... or so I was told.

Dad went on to a private sector career as a Chemist, therein having "invented" the polyurethane varnishes on most of our homes & furniture, & the polyurethane paints on our cars etc. while at Koppers in Pittsburgh PA; then he did chemistry & materials work for the defense & space programs/JPL while at Whittaker in San Diego CA - having 100s of patents in his name with both Koppers & Whittaker (they get "sold" for a $1 to the company though, when you work for them doing the research).

Then while at MSC in San Diego & Indianapolis, he did the materials work for GFRR-plastic housing (homes & apartments) & managd their Indy plant in the early `70's, all under HUD's "Operation Breakthrough" in the late 1960's (some may recall the modular concrete housing apartments at the Montreal Olympics, which was another Breakthrough team's product/system; & he then went onto segue into another career as a builder/developer, realtor & appraiser in Indy & Cancun MX until he retired in the early 2000s, after my Mom passed in 1999.

He passed in Dec. 2008, which got me thinking of my own mortality & the desire to get my 914 out of it's long slumber & moving towards restoration/repair - along with our kids being close to finishing up college & soon to be off on their own, so I'd hoped to have time & money to do so (har-har on the time availability! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ). So I did start the long & slow process of assessing, researching, parts acquisition, & some piece-work on my 914 shortly after, in early 2009, & joined here then too.

A Porsche story about Dad - or more correctly, a "Porch" story:

When & got my 73 914-2.0 back in Dec. 75 - & ever since, my Dad would always tease me about "whether it was a 'front porch' or 'back porch' " - right up until the end. The Summer before he passed, he asked "if I still had that old front or back porch in my garage?", & if I was ever going to get it fixed & running again. He went on to reminisce about his old Whizzer motor bike, Indian motorcycle, 1949 & `69 Pontiacs, & other old cars that he & my uncles had owned & wished that they still had; & commended me for hanging onto my "Porch" even after it got whacked in the parking structure by the ditzy sorority gal in May 1985 - after its last rolling full resto just a couple of years & a about 20K miles before, in 1980-83.

Dad never owned a Porsche - & certainly knew how to pronounce it correctly - that was just his humor. Although, he did have a `78 VW Bus with the 2.0L motor which he kept as a runaround down in Cancun, & he was always ready to brag & tease me that "his Bus has the same 'Porsche' motor as my 'Front or Back Porch' - but his runs!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers Dad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And I'd also like to do a word on another Dad & Granddad - who was one of our SoCal & PCA Zone 8 CW fixtures in our OCR Club & Z8 Concours world - Joe Nedza - who passed away a week ago this past Saturday, after suffering a heart attack during his daily morning run the Sunday before. Joe was a PCA Parade Judge, long time Zone 8 Master Judge, & the prior Zone 8 Concours Chair for 7-8 years; all while campaigning in beautiful Light Ivory 356, & having just won Street Class for Zone 8 2017 .... yet again, after a year off the Concours circuit after retiring from Z8 Chair.

Joe was an avid runner & bicyclist, USC Alum & HUGE SC Football Fan - driving his 356 to every home game, & wearing his Cardinal-&-Gold Hawaiian Shirts everywhere. He'd been retired from Assistant OC DA, & a prior Cal-DMV Attorney, & then with his own legal practice in his "retirement" - & someone who was always fit & active, & in great health.

So it was a surprise to lose Joe so unexpectedly, from something which we think of as our being somewhat protected from if we keep fit, active, etc. - so you just never can know!

Condolences to his wife Karen, his kids & grandkids & the rest of his family & friends.

Aloha Joe! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And Joe being just a year older than I, plus having lost my Mom at just 67 - well there goes that mortality reminder again!

Cheers to your Dad Tony! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 19 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #14

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 19 2018, 11:29 AM) *

Attached Image

As my Dad would say: "Well the Apple didn't fall far from the tree there!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 19 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Tom,

That is quite the story...thanks for sharing. I feel I have a little glimmer of insight into
your life after even that short read! You Dad seamed to be quite the accomplished chemist - I know you are proud of him.

As for Joe, sad to hear for sure...my condolences to his family as well!!!

C'mon, no pictures? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

In relation to facing one's own mortality...it was a bit of an odd year as I crept up on the age my father passed away. I am still here two-years later... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tony

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 19 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

WOW what a story.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Feb 19 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Good Memories Tony!

Salute to your Dad's service during "Nam"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

To share about my Dad - he was Pitt Grad, Army ROTC there & Chemical Corps in Korea - & was deployed over to there before I was born. Apparently I was not to happy to greet that stranger when he got home a couple of years later, crying about that strange man holding me .... or so I was told.

Dad went on to a private sector career as a Chemist, therein having "invented" the polyurethane varnishes on most of our homes & furniture, & the polyurethane paints on our cars etc. while at Koppers in Pittsburgh PA; then he did chemistry & materials work for the defense & space programs/JPL while at Whittaker in San Diego CA - having 100s of patents in his name with both Koppers & Whittaker (they get "sold" for a $1 to the company though, when you work for them doing the research).

Then while at MSC in San Diego & Indianapolis, he did the materials work for GFRR-plastic housing (homes & apartments) & managd their Indy plant in the early `70's, all under HUD's "Operation Breakthrough" in the late 1960's (some may recall the modular concrete housing apartments at the Montreal Olympics, which was another Breakthrough team's product/system; & he then went onto segue into another career as a builder/developer, realtor & appraiser in Indy & Cancun MX until he retired in the early 2000s, after my Mom passed in 1999.

He passed in Dec. 2008, which got me thinking of my own mortality & the desire to get my 914 out of it's long slumber & moving towards restoration/repair - along with our kids being close to finishing up college & soon to be off on their own, so I'd hoped to have time & money to do so (har-har on the time availability! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ). So I did start the long & slow process of assessing, researching, parts acquisition, & some piece-work on my 914 shortly after, in early 2009, & joined here then too.

A Porsche story about Dad - or more correctly, a "Porch" story:

When & got my 73 914-2.0 back in Dec. 75 - & ever since, my Dad would always tease me about "whether it was a 'front porch' or 'back porch' " - right up until the end. The Summer before he passed, he asked "if I still had that old front or back porch in my garage?", & if I was ever going to get it fixed & running again. He went on to reminisce about his old Whizzer motor bike, Indian motorcycle, 1949 & `69 Pontiacs, & other old cars that he & my uncles had owned & wished that they still had; & commended me for hanging onto my "Porch" even after it got whacked in the parking structure by the ditzy sorority gal in May 1985 - after its last rolling full resto just a couple of years & a about 20K miles before, in 1980-83.

Dad never owned a Porsche - & certainly knew how to pronounce it correctly - that was just his humor. Although, he did have a `78 VW Bus with the 2.0L motor which he kept as a runaround down in Cancun, & he was always ready to brag & tease me that "his Bus has the same 'Porsche' motor as my 'Front or Back Porch' - but his runs!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers Dad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And I'd also like to do a word on another Dad & Granddad - who was one of our SoCal & PCA Zone 8 CW fixtures in our OCR Club & Z8 Concours world - Joe Nedza - who passed away a week ago this past Saturday, after suffering a heart attack during his daily morning run the Sunday before. Joe was a PCA Parade Judge, long time Zone 8 Master Judge, & the prior Zone 8 Concours Chair for 7-8 years; all while campaigning in beautiful Light Ivory 356, & having just won Street Class for Zone 8 2017 .... yet again, after a year off the Concours circuit after retiring from Z8 Chair.

Joe was an avid runner & bicyclist, USC Alum & HUGE SC Football Fan - driving his 356 to every home game, & wearing his Cardinal-&-Gold Hawaiian Shirts everywhere. He'd been retired from Assistant OC DA, & a prior Cal-DMV Attorney, & then with his own legal practice in his "retirement" - & someone who was always fit & active, & in great health.

So it was a surprise to lose Joe so unexpectedly, from something which we think of as our being somewhat protected from if we keep fit, active, etc. - so you just never can know!

Condolences to his wife Karen, his kids & grandkids & the rest of his family & friends.

Aloha Joe! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And Joe being just a year older than I, plus having lost my Mom at just 67 - well there goes that mortality reminder again!

Cheers to your Dad Tony! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

I was shocked to hear about Joe passing. I just met him and his wife at the Palm Springs Concours and they were great. Condolences to his wife and family.
Puts things into perspective and appreciate family and friends.

+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Feb 19 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,794

Great post Tony.
Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 19 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

As a fellow retired CW4, thank you for this post. Sounds like your dad was a great guy.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 19 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Well thank you Rusty and thank you for your service as well sir! Small world! I was born at Ft. Rucker while my dad was in flight school. I always told people I was from L.A. but was recently told I am actually a product of "Florida" (long weekend apparently)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tony

QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 19 2018, 07:40 PM) *

As a fellow retired CW4, thank you for this post. Sounds like your dad was a great guy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:54 AM