Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 25-years today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
Not looking for pity...just sharing some memories and pictures of my Dad (and my son). Please share your's too...

Twenty-five years ago and roughly 25-minutes my Dad was killed in a aircraft accident. He was 45-years young. He was a professional pilot with over 13,000 hours and worked for the FAA. Today is both a solemn time and a time for reflection for your family. He is sorely missed but his legacy lives on each day...our son is named after him - another "Rich Hull"!

Our Dad worked hard at his craft and sacrificed for our family...like most committed husbands and fathers genuinely do! He was selfless, devoted, a man of character, a better friend was not known, and a wonderful loving husband to my Mom.

For you veterans amongst us...thank you for your service! My Dad served two-tours in Vietnam and was shot down during his first. He spent nearly a year in the hospital and was paralyzed from the waste down. Over time he recovered, thank goodness, and then served a second time. He was a "scout" flying OH-6 helo's...

In December 2017, my parents would have celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. To this day, my Mom is still single - not even one date - she is not interested. She stated to her "teacher friends" at lunch one-week to the day before the accident that, "Rich has given me enough love to last a lifetime"; how prophetic that declaration proved to be!

I know this is "out of place" on the World but hey...25-year anniversaries only come around so often - I won't post this again for another 25-years!

PS: The last couple pictures are of my son and I on our trip out West this last Summer. There is no coincidence that I was 46 at that time. For you younger folks, do not hesitate in making the most of opportunities...tomorrow is not guaranteed! No regrets.

Tony/Cracker

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sb914
Awesome post ! you must be proud. A real hero !!
Mueller
damn too young.

Sorry for the loss, however glad to know you have such good memories and stories from those that knew and loved him.

ValcoOscar
What a smile while pulling your tooth!!!!

Simply....

gandalf_025
My dad, along with a group of his friends enlisted the day after
Pearl Harbor..
In 1973 he was crazy enough to go to Park Porsche in Lawrence Mass.
And co-sign a loan for his then 18 year old son to buy a traded in 914-6.
His friend, the owner of the dealership... told him he would never let his kid
buy a car like that..
In Feb. 1975 he passed away at 50.. I remember thinking at the time that 50
was pretty old and that he had lived a pretty long life ....
I’m 63 now and have a whole different perspective on what constitutes a long life...
Cracker
Several years later...he did the "door-string-tooth" trick. No wonder I can be a little edgy... biggrin.gif

Gandalf: What a memory...thanks for sharing it with us!

Tony

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 19 2018, 12:04 PM) *

What a smile while pulling your tooth!!!!

Simply....
mepstein
Tony - I bet your mother looks at you and sees a lot of your father. beerchug.gif
Cracker
Mark: In how we look, probably; in how we act, no. My Dad was very different, direct but far more diplomatic than I am - that accounts for most folks though! I carry our "HS senior pics" in my wallet. Close enough? At least I know it wasn't the mailman! shades.gif

PS: My Dad did part his hair on the wrong side but then again he was a lefty!

T

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2018, 01:18 PM) *

Tony - I bet your mother looks at you and sees a lot of your father. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
mbseto
Beautiful family. Way to maintain the legacy.
Larmo63
Thank you for sharing this. smilie_pokal.gif
gandalf_025
I've posted this picture before... I was 18..

My dad never spoke much about his time in the Military... I did come across some pictures years ago.. But he never took the time to pass the stories along.
I know he did lose a lot of friends.

I was lucky in that the drinking age lowered to 18 when I was 18 and I did get to sit and talk to him over a few beers a few times.
A great guy.... Passed very quickly and unexpectedly. Nobody saw it coming..
He went to work one day and never came home.

He was awful proud of the 914 too...

Somehow, when we were buying the car, they messed up and the life insurance policy that was required for the loan ended up in his name, not mine and when he passed..
The loan payed off.. So it was actually his last present to me..
That is why I'll never sell it.

Click to view attachment
Dion
Very nice Tony. Thanks for posting. I’m sure your Mom is well pleased and proud
of her family. Love your pics.
Tom_T
Good Memories Tony!

Salute to your Dad's service during "Nam"! flag.gif

To share about my Dad - he was Pitt Grad, Army ROTC there & Chemical Corps in Korea - & was deployed over to there before I was born. Apparently I was not to happy to greet that stranger when he got home a couple of years later, crying about that strange man holding me .... or so I was told.

Dad went on to a private sector career as a Chemist, therein having "invented" the polyurethane varnishes on most of our homes & furniture, & the polyurethane paints on our cars etc. while at Koppers in Pittsburgh PA; then he did chemistry & materials work for the defense & space programs/JPL while at Whittaker in San Diego CA - having 100s of patents in his name with both Koppers & Whittaker (they get "sold" for a $1 to the company though, when you work for them doing the research).

Then while at MSC in San Diego & Indianapolis, he did the materials work for GFRR-plastic housing (homes & apartments) & managd their Indy plant in the early `70's, all under HUD's "Operation Breakthrough" in the late 1960's (some may recall the modular concrete housing apartments at the Montreal Olympics, which was another Breakthrough team's product/system; & he then went onto segue into another career as a builder/developer, realtor & appraiser in Indy & Cancun MX until he retired in the early 2000s, after my Mom passed in 1999.

He passed in Dec. 2008, which got me thinking of my own mortality & the desire to get my 914 out of it's long slumber & moving towards restoration/repair - along with our kids being close to finishing up college & soon to be off on their own, so I'd hoped to have time & money to do so (har-har on the time availability! dry.gif ). So I did start the long & slow process of assessing, researching, parts acquisition, & some piece-work on my 914 shortly after, in early 2009, & joined here then too.

A Porsche story about Dad - or more correctly, a "Porch" story:

When & got my 73 914-2.0 back in Dec. 75 - & ever since, my Dad would always tease me about "whether it was a 'front porch' or 'back porch' " - right up until the end. The Summer before he passed, he asked "if I still had that old front or back porch in my garage?", & if I was ever going to get it fixed & running again. He went on to reminisce about his old Whizzer motor bike, Indian motorcycle, 1949 & `69 Pontiacs, & other old cars that he & my uncles had owned & wished that they still had; & commended me for hanging onto my "Porch" even after it got whacked in the parking structure by the ditzy sorority gal in May 1985 - after its last rolling full resto just a couple of years & a about 20K miles before, in 1980-83.

Dad never owned a Porsche - & certainly knew how to pronounce it correctly - that was just his humor. Although, he did have a `78 VW Bus with the 2.0L motor which he kept as a runaround down in Cancun, & he was always ready to brag & tease me that "his Bus has the same 'Porsche' motor as my 'Front or Back Porch' - but his runs!" biggrin.gif

Cheers Dad! beerchug.gif

And I'd also like to do a word on another Dad & Granddad - who was one of our SoCal & PCA Zone 8 CW fixtures in our OCR Club & Z8 Concours world - Joe Nedza - who passed away a week ago this past Saturday, after suffering a heart attack during his daily morning run the Sunday before. Joe was a PCA Parade Judge, long time Zone 8 Master Judge, & the prior Zone 8 Concours Chair for 7-8 years; all while campaigning in beautiful Light Ivory 356, & having just won Street Class for Zone 8 2017 .... yet again, after a year off the Concours circuit after retiring from Z8 Chair.

Joe was an avid runner & bicyclist, USC Alum & HUGE SC Football Fan - driving his 356 to every home game, & wearing his Cardinal-&-Gold Hawaiian Shirts everywhere. He'd been retired from Assistant OC DA, & a prior Cal-DMV Attorney, & then with his own legal practice in his "retirement" - & someone who was always fit & active, & in great health.

So it was a surprise to lose Joe so unexpectedly, from something which we think of as our being somewhat protected from if we keep fit, active, etc. - so you just never can know!

Condolences to his wife Karen, his kids & grandkids & the rest of his family & friends.

Aloha Joe! beerchug.gif

And Joe being just a year older than I, plus having lost my Mom at just 67 - well there goes that mortality reminder again!

Cheers to your Dad Tony! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 19 2018, 11:29 AM) *

As my Dad would say: "Well the Apple didn't fall far from the tree there!" biggrin.gif

Tom
///////
Cracker
Tom,

That is quite the story...thanks for sharing. I feel I have a little glimmer of insight into
your life after even that short read! You Dad seamed to be quite the accomplished chemist - I know you are proud of him.

As for Joe, sad to hear for sure...my condolences to his family as well!!!

C'mon, no pictures? shades.gif

In relation to facing one's own mortality...it was a bit of an odd year as I crept up on the age my father passed away. I am still here two-years later... beerchug.gif

Tony

914Sixer
WOW what a story.
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Good Memories Tony!

Salute to your Dad's service during "Nam"! flag.gif

To share about my Dad - he was Pitt Grad, Army ROTC there & Chemical Corps in Korea - & was deployed over to there before I was born. Apparently I was not to happy to greet that stranger when he got home a couple of years later, crying about that strange man holding me .... or so I was told.

Dad went on to a private sector career as a Chemist, therein having "invented" the polyurethane varnishes on most of our homes & furniture, & the polyurethane paints on our cars etc. while at Koppers in Pittsburgh PA; then he did chemistry & materials work for the defense & space programs/JPL while at Whittaker in San Diego CA - having 100s of patents in his name with both Koppers & Whittaker (they get "sold" for a $1 to the company though, when you work for them doing the research).

Then while at MSC in San Diego & Indianapolis, he did the materials work for GFRR-plastic housing (homes & apartments) & managd their Indy plant in the early `70's, all under HUD's "Operation Breakthrough" in the late 1960's (some may recall the modular concrete housing apartments at the Montreal Olympics, which was another Breakthrough team's product/system; & he then went onto segue into another career as a builder/developer, realtor & appraiser in Indy & Cancun MX until he retired in the early 2000s, after my Mom passed in 1999.

He passed in Dec. 2008, which got me thinking of my own mortality & the desire to get my 914 out of it's long slumber & moving towards restoration/repair - along with our kids being close to finishing up college & soon to be off on their own, so I'd hoped to have time & money to do so (har-har on the time availability! dry.gif ). So I did start the long & slow process of assessing, researching, parts acquisition, & some piece-work on my 914 shortly after, in early 2009, & joined here then too.

A Porsche story about Dad - or more correctly, a "Porch" story:

When & got my 73 914-2.0 back in Dec. 75 - & ever since, my Dad would always tease me about "whether it was a 'front porch' or 'back porch' " - right up until the end. The Summer before he passed, he asked "if I still had that old front or back porch in my garage?", & if I was ever going to get it fixed & running again. He went on to reminisce about his old Whizzer motor bike, Indian motorcycle, 1949 & `69 Pontiacs, & other old cars that he & my uncles had owned & wished that they still had; & commended me for hanging onto my "Porch" even after it got whacked in the parking structure by the ditzy sorority gal in May 1985 - after its last rolling full resto just a couple of years & a about 20K miles before, in 1980-83.

Dad never owned a Porsche - & certainly knew how to pronounce it correctly - that was just his humor. Although, he did have a `78 VW Bus with the 2.0L motor which he kept as a runaround down in Cancun, & he was always ready to brag & tease me that "his Bus has the same 'Porsche' motor as my 'Front or Back Porch' - but his runs!" biggrin.gif

Cheers Dad! beerchug.gif

And I'd also like to do a word on another Dad & Granddad - who was one of our SoCal & PCA Zone 8 CW fixtures in our OCR Club & Z8 Concours world - Joe Nedza - who passed away a week ago this past Saturday, after suffering a heart attack during his daily morning run the Sunday before. Joe was a PCA Parade Judge, long time Zone 8 Master Judge, & the prior Zone 8 Concours Chair for 7-8 years; all while campaigning in beautiful Light Ivory 356, & having just won Street Class for Zone 8 2017 .... yet again, after a year off the Concours circuit after retiring from Z8 Chair.

Joe was an avid runner & bicyclist, USC Alum & HUGE SC Football Fan - driving his 356 to every home game, & wearing his Cardinal-&-Gold Hawaiian Shirts everywhere. He'd been retired from Assistant OC DA, & a prior Cal-DMV Attorney, & then with his own legal practice in his "retirement" - & someone who was always fit & active, & in great health.

So it was a surprise to lose Joe so unexpectedly, from something which we think of as our being somewhat protected from if we keep fit, active, etc. - so you just never can know!

Condolences to his wife Karen, his kids & grandkids & the rest of his family & friends.

Aloha Joe! beerchug.gif

And Joe being just a year older than I, plus having lost my Mom at just 67 - well there goes that mortality reminder again!

Cheers to your Dad Tony! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I was shocked to hear about Joe passing. I just met him and his wife at the Palm Springs Concours and they were great. Condolences to his wife and family.
Puts things into perspective and appreciate family and friends.

914-300Hemi
Great post Tony.
Cheers beerchug.gif
Rusty
As a fellow retired CW4, thank you for this post. Sounds like your dad was a great guy.
Cracker
Well thank you Rusty and thank you for your service as well sir! Small world! I was born at Ft. Rucker while my dad was in flight school. I always told people I was from L.A. but was recently told I am actually a product of "Florida" (long weekend apparently)! biggrin.gif

Tony

QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 19 2018, 07:40 PM) *

As a fellow retired CW4, thank you for this post. Sounds like your dad was a great guy.
mgp4591
Thanks for your thoughts and comments on this anniversary Tony. My dads 25th was a little over a year ago - he passed at 58 very suddenly while my mom was visiting her brother back east. Picking her up at the airport was hard for all of us.
My dad also served in 'Nam on 12 different carriers in a year out of 26 in total in Naval Intelligence - he always joked that Military Intelligence was an oxymoron... biggrin.gif He was on board the Forrestal (CV-59) when she lit up in Tonkin Gulf in July of 67, killing 134 men. The subsequent photos released by NavFoto were all taken by my dad.
He didn't talk much - it was part of his upbringing in rural W.Va. He was shipped off to live in DC with his uncle when there wasn't enough to feed the younger kids. He excelled in his studies and graduated with Ed White, the first astronaut to walk in space, where they were in the military drill team together.
I wish I could say I knew him better. My mom did however and he remains her first love.
I passed by 58 a few years ago and still think about how fortunate I am to have survived this long and see my kids succeed and advance in life.
Guys, take all the time you can to connect with your kids. Encourage them. Love them. Always remember any one of us may not be here tomorrow.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
carr914
Thanks for Sharing Tony. What did your Dad do for the FAA - my Dad worked for the FAA & retired after 35 years.
Coondog
Just lost my dad last month. Navy, Korean War Vet. Also loved to drive my 914, as it sit at his house in Arizona for the first year I owned it.
Click to view attachment
Cracker
Very enlightening and beautiful tributes guys...thanks!

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.