Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Instruction needed for removal of lmpeller, i have to pull the impeller to replace fan shroud- how??
DRPHIL914
post Feb 19 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #21

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Dave , what would cause them to pop out? pressure, - what are current plugs made of? what kind of epoxy, JB Weld?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 19 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #22

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Be sure to carefully examine the PRT bores. If the bores have gouges or scratches that you can snag with a finger nail, it will probably leak. If there are remarkable scratches, I stuff the lifter bore with lint free cloth and dress the sealing area with a red scotch brite in a circular manner, and vacuum then blow it out to clean it.

I don't like any O ring that's got flashing, I've seen so called Viton seals that were junk. I never install an O ring dry. There's a very thin sealant that Jake uses on leak prone PRT seals. Maybe Dow 205?? It does lubricate the seal on install, and helps seal. Whatever you do don't gunk them up with RTV.

I don't know if you intend to do the oil gallery plug mod, but if not you might want to clean and epoxy the oil plugs. - DD posted as I was making this post.

Thick cold oil can cause an oil plug to pop out. The best thing to do is pull them, tap them and put in a plug, but some epoxy will go a long way to prevent a blow out. Clean it up really good and go over it with an abrasive pad, and put some heavy duty (high temp) thick epoxy. JBW is a good choice, but it's a little thin and hard to keep in place, unless you can turn the engine nose up.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 19 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #23

Dr. Phil

had not even crossed my mind, doing those plugs- probably i will just do the epoxy,
Thanks foe the tip on the push rod tube seals
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 20 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #24

Dr. Phil

sorry for confusion by "ruin it" I meant the shaft etc, not the seal - the seal is toast and yes plan was to replace since I am this far at it, pretty sure this is the original seal the motor was not rebuilt at any time , pretty sure there was a slow leak there, and its become a "while you are there" scenario - cleaning it up, preventing leaks, etc. - I was try ing not to scratch the inside bore etc wth screw driver- got that done butnow I have to order a sealing ring- the o-ring that goes on the back of the part the fan bolts to- not something I can get local. - and that seal was cheap -$10,

Phil

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 19 2018, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 19 2018, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 19 2018, 07:04 PM) *

ok thanks all for the help- that popped off with using a puller, no issues but yes very sudden-
now how to get this seal out! its really stuck and i thinknim going to ruin it to get it out-

To get the seal out, just take a big flat blade screwdriver and put it across the seal with the end under the inside of the seal. Then push the handle away from you, prying it out. Should come out fairly easy.

When you put it back in, put a light smear of wheel bearing grease on the lip to keep from damaging the lip at initial start up. After that, the oil on the inside will keep the lip lubed.

Tap the seal in gently in a circle, pushing it in a little at a time. Once the hammer starts to make a "tink tink tink" noise of the hammer hitting metal, the seal is far enough in. Go slow and light with the hammer and keep moving around the circle.

That seal is like $8 why take it out if you are not replacing it, in fact why remove the fan hub if you aren't replacing the seal? Long story short put in a new seal, no?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:34 AM