Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Recent Experience with Chinese Glass, problem resolved!
76-914
post Feb 28 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 28 2018, 05:16 AM) *

Bummer dude ---Kent - are you doing the install? That's the one thing I didn't want to fuch with.i know it didn't happen while installing ,but There's a guy that does a lot of 914s.I have his cell if you need it.

This will be the 4th windshield I've replaced on a 914 and never a problem. I believe it was an isolated instance after reading the reply's. My wife and I were laughing about the windshield mishaps that happened 15 yr's ago with a Karmann Ghia I restored. I had 3 windshields delivered by UPS and all 3 were broken. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) When the 3rd one arrived and the UPS driver rolled open the trailer, the box was standing on end and clearly marked on all 4 sides with a LARGE marks-a-lot "DO NOT STAND ON END". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
The more important issue here, as Mike pointed out, is that Richard (ProSource Glass) handled this in a most professional manner. Thx again Richard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 28 2018, 10:43 AM
Post #22

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 28 2018, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 28 2018, 06:13 AM) *

Kent- As you know the first one (Prosource, Charlotte, NC) had an edge chip in it directly from the distributor. I pulled a sticker off and a piece of glass came with it. Found it after a 2 hr drive home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) It was transported in the back seat, wrapped in a moving blanket.

I would suggest everyone do a thorough inspection prior to taking receipt of these windshields!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) had two crack out on removal (cut rubber seal) both had corner chips,rest I have pulled without the chips have been fine on various older Golfs and BMW's.

Yep, edge chips always get glass. Between the internal stresses and any added external tension as you'd see when removing a windshield, they're bound to crack. I work with laser optics and use a lot of super thick glass windows (we're talking 1"+ thickness) which are precision ground, polished, and crazy expensive. As soon as an edge gets chipped they're done-I literally expect them to crack off in a test or two.

Nice to heat Prosource responded so quickly and professionally! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:16 PM