Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Project on BAT, What is this Car Worth?
ThreeV8s
post Mar 7 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,915
Region Association: North East States

I grew up nearby where the car is being sold and had experience with the dealer from which it was originally bought. It looks like it could be a great starting point for the right buyer, but I'm very curious to hear what people on here think. I am hoping someone on here gets it and documents the restoration on this forum.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-5/

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pete000
post Mar 7 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

The bigger question is what will it cost to make it right...
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 7 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Given the provenance and history I would guess between $35,000-50,000
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 7 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That seems like a great starting point for someone looking to restore a nice Six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
daytona
post Mar 8 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #5

daytona

Member No.: 17,249
Region Association: South East States

Did the early 914-6 not have the hand throttle by the shifter?
I thought they all did.
Bill.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Mar 8 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,674

The throttle is easy to bolt in or out. Just might be missing

Looking closely at front truck shows no goop around the shock towers and the trunk has obviously been painted - heavy sandinding marks on fender wells

Hell hole looks clean
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 8 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I'd love to have that car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Mar 8 2018, 09:28 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

I see lots of rust, a year of full time labor and tons of money needed. . . but then again, this is an example of whats left out there for a starting point. .
Unfortunately you'll have more in it than it will be worth unless you do every bit of the labor , motor and paint.
And people still question restored six's selling for 100K. . but that is what it costs. . .
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 8 2018, 09:29 AM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I'm pretty sure that $100K is conservative when it comes to bringing these back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 8 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Is that dash face stock?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 8 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

No doubt. First hand knowledge is KING.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 8 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

The instrument photo confuses me.
A driver more concerned with idle speed than red line ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
11tenths
post Mar 8 2018, 11:00 AM
Post #13

Ve get too soon old, und too late schmart

Member No.: 15,026

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 8 2018, 11:34 AM) *

The instrument photo confuses me.
A driver more concerned with idle speed than red line ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Looks to have a smaller diameter Racemark wheel that would obscure top of the Tach.

-Harry
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 8 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 8 2018, 07:28 AM) *

I see lots of rust, a year of full time labor and tons of money needed. . . but then again, this is an example of whats left out there for a starting point. .
Unfortunately you'll have more in it than it will be worth unless you do every bit of the labor , motor and paint.
And people still question restored six's selling for 100K. . but that is what it costs. . .

This is a common fallacy in why most people take on a project rather then buy a restored car. It isn't because you save money, it usually because many guys can afford a project and have a decent enough income to pay for a restoration, while maybe doing some of the work themselves. They aren't rich but have income. I sell lots of cars to guys like this. They don't have $100,000 to plop down on a car, but they do have $30,000 to buy a project and drop $100,000 in it over several years. And more often than not if it's a rare Porsche they do come out ahead money wise, but even if they don't, they still got the car they wanted and couldn't have if they didn't buy it as a project.
There is also value to a lot of collectors to know that the restoration was done right, regardless of cost, they want "their" guy to do the motor and "their" guy to do the paint.
Sorry for the rant it just gets old to hear people say, "You'll be upside down if you buy that!" There has to be some passion in this, you can't always think with the wallet.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 8 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Emotions are highly overrated.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Mar 8 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,510

I wonder what the reserve is set at. $30K?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 8 2018, 11:41 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Adam. I can’t afford to shell out $xxx for a couple conversion cars (two kids in college) but I can build them slowly and the way I want. And it’s very true, when you buy a car that is done, most of the time you will not know what’s under the paint. The first 914 that I had “restored” in the late 80’s had all kinds of tomfoolery done to it by a well known and respected shop. I also enjoy the project aspect more so than buying a complete car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThreeV8s
post Mar 8 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 20,915

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 12:41 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Adam. I can’t afford to shell out $xxx for a couple conversion cars (two kids in college) but I can build them slowly and the way I want. And it’s very true, when you buy a car that is done, most of the time you will not know what’s under the paint. The first 914 that I had “restored” in the late 80’s had all kinds of tomfoolery done to it by a well known and respected shop. I also enjoy the project aspect more so than buying a complete car.

I agree with both of you completely. If I ever come across an affordable, unloved gem, whether it be a 6, 356, e-type, rare pony car, etc., I’ll do what I can to stop any progressive cancer and just store it at an undisclosed location (It would be the biggest car-related purchase hidden from the wife to date). Once the kids are through college and the rest of the financial picture is clear, I’ll do what I can myself (very little) and dust off the 401K to make something the way I want it done and will know it was done correctly. Being careful with finances is what allows most of us to get into this obsession, affliction, illness or whatever you prefer to label it. Calling it a hobby is an understatement. This is where I let the moths out of the old wallet. I could have probably bought a nicer 914 for what I have in mine between the purchase itself and the work both I and the shop have done since I bought it, but it would not be as special to me.
+Quote Post
Unpretentious
post Mar 8 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 17,532
Region Association: Central California

I liken owning a 914 to getting warts. Once have one, you're likely to end up with more, unless you can get rid of it. Some say, however, "the disease incurable."
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 8 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Mar 8 2018, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 12:41 PM) *

I agree with both of you completely. If I ever come across an affordable, unloved gem, whether it be a 6, 356, e-type, rare pony car, etc., I’ll do what I can to stop any progressive cancer and just store it at an undisclosed location (It would be the biggest car-related purchase hidden from the wife to date). Once the kids are through college and the rest of the financial picture is clear, I’ll do what I can myself (very little) and dust off the 401K to make something the way I want it done and will know it was done correctly. Being careful with finances is what allows most of us to get into this obsession, affliction, illness or whatever you prefer to label it. Calling it a hobby is an understatement. This is where I let the moths out of the old wallet. I could have probably bought a nicer 914 for what I have in mine between the purchase itself and the work both I and the shop have done since I bought it, but it would not be as special to me.

Very true about hiding from the wife, I was at our open house last year telling someone about one of my personal cars in the lot, she looks over and is like, "How many cars do you have?"
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:22 PM