Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Project on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThreeV8s
I grew up nearby where the car is being sold and had experience with the dealer from which it was originally bought. It looks like it could be a great starting point for the right buyer, but I'm very curious to hear what people on here think. I am hoping someone on here gets it and documents the restoration on this forum.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-5/

pete000
The bigger question is what will it cost to make it right...
Unobtanium-inc
Given the provenance and history I would guess between $35,000-50,000
Cairo94507
That seems like a great starting point for someone looking to restore a nice Six. beerchug.gif
daytona
Did the early 914-6 not have the hand throttle by the shifter?
I thought they all did.
Bill.
gereed75
The throttle is easy to bolt in or out. Just might be missing

Looking closely at front truck shows no goop around the shock towers and the trunk has obviously been painted - heavy sandinding marks on fender wells

Hell hole looks clean
rgalla9146

I'd love to have that car smile.gif
toolguy
I see lots of rust, a year of full time labor and tons of money needed. . . but then again, this is an example of whats left out there for a starting point. .
Unfortunately you'll have more in it than it will be worth unless you do every bit of the labor , motor and paint.
And people still question restored six's selling for 100K. . but that is what it costs. . .
Cairo94507
I'm pretty sure that $100K is conservative when it comes to bringing these back. unsure.gif
76-914
Is that dash face stock?
rhodyguy
No doubt. First hand knowledge is KING.
rgalla9146
The instrument photo confuses me.
A driver more concerned with idle speed than red line ? confused24.gif
11tenths
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 8 2018, 11:34 AM) *

The instrument photo confuses me.
A driver more concerned with idle speed than red line ? confused24.gif

Looks to have a smaller diameter Racemark wheel that would obscure top of the Tach.

-Harry
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(toolguy @ Mar 8 2018, 07:28 AM) *

I see lots of rust, a year of full time labor and tons of money needed. . . but then again, this is an example of whats left out there for a starting point. .
Unfortunately you'll have more in it than it will be worth unless you do every bit of the labor , motor and paint.
And people still question restored six's selling for 100K. . but that is what it costs. . .

This is a common fallacy in why most people take on a project rather then buy a restored car. It isn't because you save money, it usually because many guys can afford a project and have a decent enough income to pay for a restoration, while maybe doing some of the work themselves. They aren't rich but have income. I sell lots of cars to guys like this. They don't have $100,000 to plop down on a car, but they do have $30,000 to buy a project and drop $100,000 in it over several years. And more often than not if it's a rare Porsche they do come out ahead money wise, but even if they don't, they still got the car they wanted and couldn't have if they didn't buy it as a project.
There is also value to a lot of collectors to know that the restoration was done right, regardless of cost, they want "their" guy to do the motor and "their" guy to do the paint.
Sorry for the rant it just gets old to hear people say, "You'll be upside down if you buy that!" There has to be some passion in this, you can't always think with the wallet.
rhodyguy
Emotions are highly overrated.
iwanta914-6
I wonder what the reserve is set at. $30K?
mepstein
agree.gif with Adam. I can’t afford to shell out $xxx for a couple conversion cars (two kids in college) but I can build them slowly and the way I want. And it’s very true, when you buy a car that is done, most of the time you will not know what’s under the paint. The first 914 that I had “restored” in the late 80’s had all kinds of tomfoolery done to it by a well known and respected shop. I also enjoy the project aspect more so than buying a complete car.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 12:41 PM) *

agree.gif with Adam. I can’t afford to shell out $xxx for a couple conversion cars (two kids in college) but I can build them slowly and the way I want. And it’s very true, when you buy a car that is done, most of the time you will not know what’s under the paint. The first 914 that I had “restored” in the late 80’s had all kinds of tomfoolery done to it by a well known and respected shop. I also enjoy the project aspect more so than buying a complete car.

I agree with both of you completely. If I ever come across an affordable, unloved gem, whether it be a 6, 356, e-type, rare pony car, etc., I’ll do what I can to stop any progressive cancer and just store it at an undisclosed location (It would be the biggest car-related purchase hidden from the wife to date). Once the kids are through college and the rest of the financial picture is clear, I’ll do what I can myself (very little) and dust off the 401K to make something the way I want it done and will know it was done correctly. Being careful with finances is what allows most of us to get into this obsession, affliction, illness or whatever you prefer to label it. Calling it a hobby is an understatement. This is where I let the moths out of the old wallet. I could have probably bought a nicer 914 for what I have in mine between the purchase itself and the work both I and the shop have done since I bought it, but it would not be as special to me.
Unpretentious
I liken owning a 914 to getting warts. Once have one, you're likely to end up with more, unless you can get rid of it. Some say, however, "the disease incurable."
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Mar 8 2018, 10:24 AM) *

I agree with both of you completely. If I ever come across an affordable, unloved gem, whether it be a 6, 356, e-type, rare pony car, etc., I’ll do what I can to stop any progressive cancer and just store it at an undisclosed location (It would be the biggest car-related purchase hidden from the wife to date). Once the kids are through college and the rest of the financial picture is clear, I’ll do what I can myself (very little) and dust off the 401K to make something the way I want it done and will know it was done correctly. Being careful with finances is what allows most of us to get into this obsession, affliction, illness or whatever you prefer to label it. Calling it a hobby is an understatement. This is where I let the moths out of the old wallet. I could have probably bought a nicer 914 for what I have in mine between the purchase itself and the work both I and the shop have done since I bought it, but it would not be as special to me.

Very true about hiding from the wife, I was at our open house last year telling someone about one of my personal cars in the lot, she looks over and is like, "How many cars do you have?"
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 8 2018, 02:58 PM) *

Very true about hiding from the wife, I was at our open house last year telling someone about one of my personal cars in the lot, she looks over and is like, "How many cars do you have?"

It’s so much easier not to hide them.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 8 2018, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 8 2018, 02:58 PM) *

It’s so much easier not to hide them.

But she said no more Porsches!
pete000
Put it back together and run it like it is, Patina monster!
raynekat
This resto will cost some serious pesos!
SKL1
I'm sure there is more rust than seen in the pictures, but that would be a fun project to do over time. Will be curious to see what it finally goes for, and how much the price goes up in the last hour or so...
jrblackbox
up to 27K and still 5 days to go!
Fatboy007
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Mar 8 2018, 01:53 PM) *

I liken owning a 914 to getting warts. Once have one, you're likely to end up with more, unless you can get rid of it. Some say, however, "the disease incurable."

True true
ThreeV8s
Sold at $43,500. I hope the new owner posts the progress here.

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 7 2018, 07:31 PM) *

And they say I don't know values on Porsches.....

Sold for $43,500
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 14 2018, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 7 2018, 07:31 PM) *

And they say I don't know values on Porsches.....

Sold for $43,500

No cigar. I told Doug Arnao $45,000 this morning
raynekat
Then this is going to be an expensive 914-6 if done correctly. Just might as well ad $80k to it. $125k all in when it's said and done. Love that color.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Mar 7 2018, 09:35 PM) *

I grew up nearby where the car is being sold and had experience with the dealer from which it was originally bought. It looks like it could be a great starting point for the right buyer, but I'm very curious to hear what people on here think. I am hoping someone on here gets it and documents the restoration on this forum.

Who won the car ? Someone here ?
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 14 2018, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Mar 7 2018, 09:35 PM) *

Who won the car ? Someone here ?

Not sure. I posted a request on BAT to post progress on the world. We'll have to wait and see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.