Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> old rusted 2.0, Is it worth it?
mmichalik
post Mar 10 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #1

MikeM

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2.0 that's rusted out but relatively complete for less than $800.00.

My current 2.0 does not have the 2.0 engine any longer, it only has a big bore 1.8.

The engine on the rusted car is there, along with the trans.

Is it worth it? What would it cost, roughly, to rebuild the 2.0 (just to stock) assuming the fundamental pieces (case and such) are good.

I should add that I know what it would cost to have it done but, I would like to do this rebuild myself.

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Mar 10 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

The parts car is a good deal, you can't go wrong.

As for rebuilding the engine, parts alone will be at least $2k with no machine work. Then it all depends how long you want the engine to last. I would say another $2k to rebuild the heads, balance the rods, polish the crank...

I have a recent spreadsheet with a list of parts that I can send, just PM me your email.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 11 2018, 01:18 AM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Mar 10 2018, 06:49 PM) *

Hey everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2.0 that's rusted out but relatively complete for less than $800.00.

My current 2.0 does not have the 2.0 engine any longer, it only has a big bore 1.8.

The engine on the rusted car is there, along with the trans.

Is it worth it? What would it cost, roughly, to rebuild the 2.0 (just to stock) assuming the fundamental pieces (case and such) are good.

I should add that I know what it would cost to have it done but, I would like to do this rebuild myself.

Mike

Easily worth it. Engine alone as a core is worth $800.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 11 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

It really depends on the true status of the motor and car. Generally, something anything is work $800 by itself (2.0 fuchs perhaps? original spare?, straight trim, etc), but then you get in there and realize that you really don't want to cut the body up with metal shards in your yard.... and it becomes a yard trophy.

Personally my belief is, always try and save the car, even if someone else ultimately does it better than I can. Stripping a car for the money is a way to make money, but is it really what an enthusiast does? YRMV

My last parts car was no. 504 - an early 73 2.0... it took on a big tree and lost. The motor, transmission, coil over springs, made it to Dads car, some parts went for sale to break me even, a lot of parts ended up in boxes which I still have (to get rid of), and the chassis ended up as the back half of the fabled limo.

At the time the car as a whole was a DNR, with a 2K mile 2056 and a rebuilt split diff tranny with a new IP. Some parts had already been striped off and sold when I got it. Today, with what the cars have done in the market, it should have been repaired by someone who had those skills. I didn't. Its a limo now.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 09:29 PM