Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lime Rock June 10-11 SCCA National, Madsen, Foley, Givler represent'n
Thorshammer
post Jun 13 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

After visiting my machinist and really looking at the break, it is very apparent this was a manufacturing issue. I am using a welded cam as opposed to a new chilled billet. Maybe my mistake? anyway, when the cam is welded is can bend slightly, then the cam must go through a straightening process which from what I understand is the application of a fairly blunt chisel looking device and a (believe it or not) a hammer. Then the cam is re-checked for straightness and then ground to the specs of the master. I guess this is an acceptable process in the cam grinding business and is widely used on welded cams. To know this process was news to me. I will probably only be using a new billet camshaft from here on out and have contacted an engineer in Minnesota which develops and grinds his own stuff. He is also the grinder for the GE series cams and has many type 4 grinds as well. We'll see what happens.

My order is in and the broken cam is on the way back to the original grinder for him to see the break. Hopefully he will see the same thing I have seen and replace the cam. I know it is in a race motor, but when it has less than 2.0 hours on it, I think this is pretty clear. As for disasembling the entire engine to clean it, I think you are correct Jake. and that IS my plan.

Erik Madsen
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jun 13 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #42

retired

Group: Members
Member No.: 313

Erik, I thing you need to take the whole engine down, who knows where any metal particles went.

I understand the oberg filters do a great job of filtering,, depending on what size screen you install in them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:41 AM