Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Adjusters Revisited - Now also valve lash caps!
914Sixer
post Apr 6 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here you go. This guy can answer all your questions. He did my rockers and stands. He sold me the German 10mm swivel foot adjusters that will work with a stock cam and stock pushrods. Email: bugguy1967@gmail.com. He has ads on theSamba.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Apr 6 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #22

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2060099
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 6 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've used every method there is ...do it right.
If on a budget get some used real 911 adjusters
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Apr 17 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bbrock - I am in the same boat as you. I am getting new heads done by Len (HAM) and want to ensure I put the best with the best. I currently have springs for spacers so those will definitely be upgraded to the spacers.

Can someone give clear steps on what is needed to get 911 swivel feet on the GA 2.0 rockers? Some say slap them on, some say geometry, some say shims, some say chromoly custom rods.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 17 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I use 911 adjusters on all my builds. And if you're building a 'blueprinted' motor where everything is checked and dialed in then there's no question. You want the best of the best? Get 911 swivel feet.

---DONE--- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

But obviously there are engines being built by people that need to save money where they can. And there are people who are building motors that don't need the best-of-the-best on everything. For those people there is a choice to be made, and the idea that 911 adjusters are the ONLY safe way to build a motor is false.

Yes it makes your valvetrain last longer. There's no debating it. But just because 911 adjusters are better doesn't mean solid adjusters are bad. What's the life expectancy of a solid adjuster setup? There are still original factory motors out there that run fine. So does that mean that the solid adjusters are good for 50,000 miles? 70,000? 100,000?

How many miles do you drive your car in a year? For most people, a 50,000 mile lifespan would equate to more than 10 years.

And if we're talking about life expectancy -- are all the rest of your parts going to match the life of the 911 adjusters? If your pistons and cylinders aren't going to last 100,000 miles, what good is a valve setup that will last 200,000?

So I recommend getting the 911 adjusters for all engines -- but if you don't run them, don't feel like you're building a grenade, don't feel like you're doing it wrong. You CAN build a motor that will have a good long life with solid adjusters.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 17 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This has been a great thread. Thanks all for your input. I've decided to follow Mark Heard's lead. Those TP swivel feet look really good and it sounds like people are having great luck with them. Looks like a good way to good nearly or equal to genuine 911 feet on a budget. I'm going to send my 10mm rockers to bugguy1967 and have him machine them and send me the swivel feet and solid spacers. From reading, it sounds like with that setup has a good chance of getting the geometry right without having to shim or cut custom pushrods. But I'll check and cross that bridge if I have to. I'd like to stick with aluminum pushrods (sticking with stock springs) as I've read that chromoly tend to be noisy. I'm just looking for good valve life on a nearly stock engine and quieting the clatter in the process if possible.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 18 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Count on cutting new pushrods. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) But maybe you'll get lucky.

And Aircooled.net sells aluminum pushrods that you can cut to length.

Make sure you get your valve adjustment numbers correct: ChroMoly is zero lash. Aluminum (stock or custom) uses the stock numbers (0.006").
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:39 PM