Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fiberglass rocker panel cover repair, Take two
saigon71
post Apr 11 2018, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm running fiberglass rocker panel covers. I like them, but I've had a problem with the mounting holes on the top breaking out at both the front and rear mounts in the fender wells. This is my 2nd attempt to fix the passenger side.

I realized that there wasn't a lot of meat left after the hole was drilled to keep the cover from vibrating and breaking the mounting hole. My previous attempt was to use fiberglass only to rebuild the area. This time around I cut thin strips of sheet metal to serve as fiberglass "rebar" on the outer section of the cover.

I opened up the existing hole and sanded the top down. Next, I glued the "rebar" in place before using fiberglass cloth & resin on both sides of the area. Repainted the whole thing semi-gloss black. Installed it, marked where the holes needed to be and drilled fresh holes. Finally, I picked up some stainless steel screws and nut plates to attach the front & rear.

It feels plenty strong and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 08:22 PM