Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass rocker panel cover repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I'm running fiberglass rocker panel covers. I like them, but I've had a problem with the mounting holes on the top breaking out at both the front and rear mounts in the fender wells. This is my 2nd attempt to fix the passenger side.

I realized that there wasn't a lot of meat left after the hole was drilled to keep the cover from vibrating and breaking the mounting hole. My previous attempt was to use fiberglass only to rebuild the area. This time around I cut thin strips of sheet metal to serve as fiberglass "rebar" on the outer section of the cover.

I opened up the existing hole and sanded the top down. Next, I glued the "rebar" in place before using fiberglass cloth & resin on both sides of the area. Repainted the whole thing semi-gloss black. Installed it, marked where the holes needed to be and drilled fresh holes. Finally, I picked up some stainless steel screws and nut plates to attach the front & rear.

It feels plenty strong and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

76-914
thumb3d.gif
URY914
Good job.

You could also 'glass on a piece on sheetmetal on the back side. Bend it so it follows the shape of the panel and then drill your hole through it.
aharder
Looks Good !!
I'm working on my rockers at this time also. But they are the originals.

mepstein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 11 2018, 07:08 PM) *

Good job.

You could also 'glass on a piece on sheetmetal on the back side. Bend it so it follows the shape of the panel and then drill your hole through it.

That’s what I will do with my Fiberglass GT valence.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 12 2018, 12:19 PM) *

Good job.

That’s what I will do with my Fiberglass GT valence.

Worked in the sticky s#it for years ,no issue incasing sheet metal brackets in the there,just make sure you "rough them up" with a very course grit so they bond well .
You can fit treaded or captive nuts to brackets just fill the holes with modelers clay or similar before glassing on.
saigon71

Good job.

I like this idea better than my solution. If they give me problems again, I'll go this route. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
That's what I did with mine (thin backside reinforcement) and simply bonded it with JB Weld. Been there for many years DD without any issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.