Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> bench bleeding MC in the car - how to video, open system method with 914 rubber 19mm MC
iankarr
post Apr 13 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

Since our MC's don"t have an integrated reservoir, bench bleeding can involve a Rube Goldberg-style setup. Here's a quick video of how I did mine in the car, using the existing plumbing.

After bleeding the 914 Rubber 19mm MC, I used a combination of Eric at PMB's gravity method and a motive pressure bleeder at 5 psi. Pedal is perfect and brakes are so much better!

See the notes for more detail and links. and, as always please let me know if anything in the video can be improved.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSer774NqM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Big Len
post Apr 13 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Awesome job.....again !
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Apr 13 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I always thought "bench bleeding" meant pre-bleeding the master on a bench to remove air before installing the master in the car. That would be hard to do in a 914 because the reservoir is remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523fHbmbdsQ

I know on some cars it is really hard to get all of the air out of the system when installing a new master. Never installed a master on a 914 so I don't know if bench bleeding is necessary. From your video it looks like you didn't have a problem.

Nice video!
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Apr 13 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Completely love these videos... Makes me feel that I could actually do this work. Please Please Please, save them in a place where we can find them when needed.
(Bought the parts during the Group-Buy, but have been hesitant to start the work.)

Thanks for telling us how to keep these cars alive.

PS:
How do you guys convince the wife and kids that these old cars are actually cool? Mine seem to not understand why I traded the Cayenne Turbo for this.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Apr 14 2018, 10:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I’ve found that after you bleed the brakes after replacing calipers ( I use manual and pressure bleeding), taking the car out for a drive on a bumpy road and bleeding the brakes one more time sometimes helps to dislodge those last bubbles of air in the system. Once they’re fully bled, the brake pedal is really quite firm.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 14 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #6

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 14 2018, 12:45 AM) *

I always thought "bench bleeding" meant pre-bleeding the master on a bench to remove air before installing the master in the car. That would be hard to do in a 914 because the reservoir is remote.

Good Video

Thanks Mark. Exactly. This method uses the plumbing in the car to bleed the MC...no bench needed.

Thanks Hans Jan. Go for it! It's really not that difficult and makes a huge difference.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:54 AM