Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bench bleeding MC in the car - how to video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Since our MC's don"t have an integrated reservoir, bench bleeding can involve a Rube Goldberg-style setup. Here's a quick video of how I did mine in the car, using the existing plumbing.

After bleeding the 914 Rubber 19mm MC, I used a combination of Eric at PMB's gravity method and a motive pressure bleeder at 5 psi. Pedal is perfect and brakes are so much better!

See the notes for more detail and links. and, as always please let me know if anything in the video can be improved.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSer774NqM
Big Len
Awesome job.....again !
MarkV
I always thought "bench bleeding" meant pre-bleeding the master on a bench to remove air before installing the master in the car. That would be hard to do in a 914 because the reservoir is remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523fHbmbdsQ

I know on some cars it is really hard to get all of the air out of the system when installing a new master. Never installed a master on a 914 so I don't know if bench bleeding is necessary. From your video it looks like you didn't have a problem.

Nice video!
HansJan
Completely love these videos... Makes me feel that I could actually do this work. Please Please Please, save them in a place where we can find them when needed.
(Bought the parts during the Group-Buy, but have been hesitant to start the work.)

Thanks for telling us how to keep these cars alive.

PS:
How do you guys convince the wife and kids that these old cars are actually cool? Mine seem to not understand why I traded the Cayenne Turbo for this.
GeorgeRud
I’ve found that after you bleed the brakes after replacing calipers ( I use manual and pressure bleeding), taking the car out for a drive on a bumpy road and bleeding the brakes one more time sometimes helps to dislodge those last bubbles of air in the system. Once they’re fully bled, the brake pedal is really quite firm.
iankarr
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 14 2018, 12:45 AM) *

I always thought "bench bleeding" meant pre-bleeding the master on a bench to remove air before installing the master in the car. That would be hard to do in a 914 because the reservoir is remote.

Good Video

Thanks Mark. Exactly. This method uses the plumbing in the car to bleed the MC...no bench needed.

Thanks Hans Jan. Go for it! It's really not that difficult and makes a huge difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.