Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedometer, Speedometer needle jiggles
pfierb
post Jun 7 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #1

oldest member

Group: Members
From: The sign of good government in Connecticut is to keep raising taxes
Member No.: 4,008

The speedometer needle jiggles around untill it reaches 35 mph and then smooths out on my 1973 914,any ideas ?

Thanks Paul F.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 7 2005, 07:01 AM
Post #2

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

When mine had this kind of problem it was due to grease inside the speedo that was coming from the cable. I had a leak at the angle drive on the tranny that was allowing tranny fluid to go into the cable. It wicked up the cable and into the speedo. To fix it I had to have a speedo shop clean out the speedo, replace the cable and fix the leak.

In the end I gave up on stock speedos and bought a VDO electronic speedo so that I can calibrate it to give me accurate readings regardless of what size tire I switch to.
+Quote Post
Rouser
post Jun 7 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Anti-Post Whore

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 54

Your cable has a kink in it. Not so much just the outside sheath, but the cable inside too.

You can go ahead and chase a number of other options, but they'll eventually lead to replacing the cable.

It's 30+ years old; replace it.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jun 7 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #4

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Jun 7 2005, 09:01 AM)
In the end I gave up on stock speedos and bought a VDO electronic speedo so that I can calibrate it to give me accurate readings regardless of what size tire I switch to.

Is that a classic thread somewhere?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jun 7 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #5

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 7 2005, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Jun 7 2005, 09:01 AM)

Is that a classic thread somewhere?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

M

Nope. It was pre-914World.com. MidAmerica Motorworks has one in their catalog for VWs just to give you an example. Here is a copy of the installation instructions just to give you an idea of how it works.

My recollection is that I bought the VDO 4" speedo, the bought a GM sender like this and had a speedo shop make up a short cable to attach the sender to the angle drive gear.

North Hollywood Speedo carries the speedo and they have a page for the senders also, but no pricing listed. The VW kit is $200, but I've not seen the 4" speedo for a 914 in kit form.

Do a web search for "VDO Programmable Speedometer" and you'll probably find even more stuff.

It's an upgrade that I can definitely recommend!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:56 PM