Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Buying Vehicles from Out of State, Experiences, hints, suggestions, etc.
Verruckt
post Jun 8 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,348

Sandman, sorry to hear about this. As far as legal avenues, I would think it would have a lot to do with how your bill of sale was worded. Is the condition of the car, or any of the repairs mentioned in the bill of sale? Word of mouth is just a he said/he said sort of thing. Almost all car sales like that are going to be as is/where is. I would think that it would be very hard to get any kind of legal satisfaction, but then I'm not an attorney.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jun 8 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #22

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

QUOTE (sandman @ Jun 8 2005, 08:21 AM)
Thanks for the input. I asked the appropiate questions. I've discovered that asking the right questions is only part of the deal. If the seller isn't going to be truthful then your truly going to be taken if you take the chance on believing what they tell you. This car was purchased from a well known club member on this site. I was referred to this member by another well known club member. I felt based on this, that I had a reliable and honest seller. I was reassured throughout the buying process by the seller that he was honest and that he stood behind the car. Seller paid for some repairs initially but has refused to reimburse for the major repairs regarding the camshaft, etc. Never disclosed to me upfront these problems as well as the numerous other things I'll wind up replacing.
What legal remedies exist when buying from someone out of state? I know ebay offers some protection, but what about a sale between private parties? Again thanks the replies, hope you don't have happen to you what has happened to me. Don't trust someone just because there well known and a frequent poster on this board.

Not saying that I don't believe you...

With this limited information and a newbie poster... it just doesn't pass the smell test (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 8 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #23

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You did buy a used car after all. Used cars are generally sold "as-is" and with no warranty. The fact that the seller paid for some of the repairs says a lot. With most used car deals that isn't a requirement at all. There is such a thing as a bad buyer too. Or I should say, buyers are subject to making mistakes and exagerations also. There are differences between how you define a term and how the seller defines a term. And you (as the buyer) are responsible for making your own evaluation of a car and it's value. In the end though, it's a USED CAR, generally with no warranty either express or implied.
+Quote Post
sandman
post Jun 8 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #24

Unregistered

I could post repair receipts and emails from seller. That would clear the air....
+Quote Post
goose2
post Jun 8 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,847
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think what everyone is hinting at is their desire to hear the details so the case can be resolved in "The Court of Public Opinion". Not sure how appropriate this is but it may be a good thing....keeps everyone honest (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chatsmiley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/Yack.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chatsmiley.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chair.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 8 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #26

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (tdgray @ Jun 8 2005, 09:23 AM)
Not saying that I don't believe you...

With this limited information and a newbie poster... it just doesn't pass the smell test  <_<

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

The 5-6 posts you have made in this forum are all complaining about a bad deal. If I knoew you better, I'd tell you to suck it up and deal with it. If the seller reimbursed you for some of the repairs, I'd say that is a LOT more than most people would do. You can't expect someone to make the car perfect. If it's the car that I'm thinking it was, I don't believe it was EVER represented as perfect.

If it's a USED car, it's a USED car. If the seller didn't know about something, then you really can't hold them responsible. I believe the words "AS-IS, WHERE-IS" are used a lot when buying a 30+yr old car for a reason.

I sold a car once to a guy, and the engine blew a week later. Was there ANY way I could have know that would happen? Nope. I'd had the car for about 2mos. Never drove it. The guy was upset, but at the same time, understood that it was a USED car. I reimbursed him for the shipping because I felt bad, not because I had to.

My Dad used to tell me "If you buy a used car, expect to replace the whole thing in a month...because you just might have to."
+Quote Post
sandman
post Jun 8 2005, 09:31 AM
Post #27

Unregistered

I find it interesting that the person who sold me this car has yet to defend themselves. They are awhere of my posts. They are free to dispute anything I have posted.
It was a used car, I realize it wasn't new. The difference is that he represented the car as being in good running condition. He clearly misrepresented the car, its condition, etc. It wasn't, it went from the transport to the shop and from the shop to my garage where it now sits. The seller was given every opportunity to make it right. He chose not to. He's honest because he paid for part of the repairs??? No way. I don't buy this mentality. He purposely dumped the car on me with these problems. My mistake for trusting him, lesson learned. We can all learn from my experience. He's free to respond. I'm posting simply on the principal of what he did, its not right. If I can prevent someone else from being taken by him or someone else then my message will be heard. Food for thought.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 8 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #28

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Some people find it unseemly to air dirty laundry in public. Such "discussions" just tend to get really ugly fast, and serve no useful purpose. Everyone comes out looking like a petty yutz more often than not.

I've been PM'd by the other party, and I presume some other club members have been, too. Said person has not only been here awhile, but has deals with other people that have turned out well. As such, they have more credibility here than you do. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. This isn't to say you yourself are lying, but only that in any case where a statement made is open to interpretation, that most people here would be more likely to choose the interpretation that favors the seller.

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 8 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #29

Well said James...
+Quote Post
PorschePony
post Jun 8 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #30

NorthROLLERcoaster

Member No.: 187

I have to agree with James too.

I have purchased cars and many parts from the seller, and he has always told me everything he knew about the product.

I have had problems with others I have bought cars from, but basically the question is can you definitively know he knew about the problems? He only had it a short while, and barely drove it, and others test drove it without any problems, so the burdon falls to you for the proof.

He gave you a kickback where I never got anything, and I bet he can give you names of test drivers who will say it was running fine.

I have had more problems with the car movers doing damage than the car owner!
+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 8 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #31

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, thats not to say that nobody will side with you because you dont post here a lot. It's just that many of the people here know the seller very well, know the car and his reputation is very strong here. I know the car personally and did a PPI on it for the seller when he bought it. I still have the pictures I think. The seller didnt build the car, he bought it just a few months before selling it. Had some financial needs for something else and started selling everything he could. I referred you to him to help you both out. I am sorry it didnt turn out so perfectly for the both of you. The camshaft is not something that could have been known. It could happen to any car. Even my Chalon. I would say at this point, you know that car more than anyone on here. The one thing I will say, I admire you for not posting his name, it shows a level of control and I respect that. I also didnt know he has sent you money to help you out with it, that is also a respectable thing. I vote we end this hacking and work through it and all get along. If you were closer, I would voluteer to come help you swap out the cam, I am sure we could do it in a day. Good luck with it and lets all have a drink. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jun 8 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #32

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I think pretty much everyone knows who the other party is. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) What is missing from the story (in my opinion) is... what was the misrepresentation? Cam is bad.. Did he know and not tell you? How do you know? These questions need answering before the rest of us can really even tell what's going on.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 8 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #33

No good can come of this thread continuing...seriously.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Jun 8 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #34

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 8 2005, 09:31 AM)
No good can come of this thread continuing...seriously.

IMHO:
Buyer, make a list of what you expected, what you received, and what it will take to make you happy. PM it to seller.
Seller, respond.
Then if you both want to post the results, do so. Otherwise let it die.

+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 8 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #35

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) 100%

Work it out offline. In light of the recent bashing threads and the ugly feelings left behind, I'm going to lock this one.

We're done here...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:29 PM