Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LOL! Got my custom race wheels today
grantsfo
post Jun 8 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #41

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 8 2005, 08:34 PM)
1/2 can of fix-a-flat?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

M

Nasty!!!! .but I thought he same thing!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 9 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #42

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I have a fair amount of experience with rebuilding Keizer 3 piece wheels.
The most common way for leaks to occur is during tire mounting or dismounting. A tire iron (or maybe even the inner edge of the tire itself) can inadverdently cut the silicone bead between the rim halves. Extreme care is required when installing/removing tires from such wheels.
Look for the leak on the assembled tire/wheel with a squirt bottle of soapy water. If it comes from the bolt area you are most likely screwed and will have to rebuild the wheel.
Rebuilding these wheels is not a simple process. You have to remove the 15 5/16" bolts, then separate the rim halves which are silicone glued together. Then you have to thoroughly clean off all the silicone from both halves.
To reassemble, apply fresh RTV to the mating surfaces and bolt together, carefully torquing new 5/16" bolts and nuts in a sequence (recommended by Keizer). (Even a little too much torque means the bolts may pop unexpectedly if you hit a pot-hole.) Next you have to apply a fresh RTV bead in the groove between the rim halves, being sure to get a good bond on the metal surfaces, and wait at least 24 hours before reinstalling tires. If you're careful you can probably do a better job than the factory.

Or you might try putting RTV into the location of the seal damage, without disassembling the wheel. I wouldn't attempt this on a track wheel, but you might get away with it on an ax wheel.
YMMV
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 9 2005, 06:06 AM
Post #43

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Damn Chris, You have really helped me feel better about my Diamond Steelies. Wrestle the tire on and pump it up. Seat the bead with a mighty ka-pow. All is good. Next set of tires wil be 225/45-15. But hopefully that will be next year. at least that's what I am told from the chief of finance.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 9 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #44

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jun 9 2005, 03:37 AM)
I have a fair amount of experience with rebuilding Keizer 3 piece wheels.
The most common way for leaks to occur is during tire mounting or dismounting. A tire iron (or maybe even the inner edge of the tire itself) can inadverdently cut the silicone bead between the rim halves. Extreme care is required when installing/removing tires from such wheels.
Look for the leak on the assembled tire/wheel with a squirt bottle of soapy water. If it comes from the bolt area you are most likely screwed and will have to rebuild the wheel.
Rebuilding these wheels is not a simple process. You have to remove the 15 5/16" bolts, then separate the rim halves which are silicone glued together. Then you have to thoroughly clean off all the silicone from both halves.
To reassemble, apply fresh RTV to the mating surfaces and bolt together, carefully torquing new 5/16" bolts and nuts in a sequence (recommended by Keizer). (Even a little too much torque means the bolts may pop unexpectedly if you hit a pot-hole.) Next you have to apply a fresh RTV bead in the groove between the rim halves, being sure to get a good bond on the metal surfaces, and wait at least 24 hours before reinstalling tires. If you're careful you can probably do a better job than the factory.

Or you might try putting RTV into the location of the seal damage, without disassembling the wheel. I wouldn't attempt this on a track wheel, but you might get away with it on an ax wheel.
YMMV

Thanks!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:46 AM