Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Voltage Low, Red Brake Light Flickering
mzapisek
post Apr 26 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

All original 1.7. Recently noticed voltage reading low (10.5) and red light which indicates emergency brake engaged flickering. I replaced the E brake trigger switch not thinking the two issues were related which did not not solve the flickering. Also noticing a periodic hesitation when driving. Any thoughts on what might be causing these symptoms and if they are related? Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Apr 26 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Apr 26 2018, 11:13 AM) *

All original 1.7. Recently noticed voltage reading low (10.5) and red light which indicates emergency brake engaged flickering. I replaced the E brake trigger switch not thinking the two issues were related which did not not solve the flickering. Also noticing a periodic hesitation when driving. Any thoughts on what might be causing these symptoms and if they are related? Thanks.

10.5 volts is too low. Where are you measuring? Do it at the battery. Check with the motor off and then running. Must be higher when running 13.5 or so. Check all fuses
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 26 2018, 03:37 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

When you say the brake warning light is flickering, do you mean irregularly, or flashing like the turn signals flash?

--DD
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 26 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Honestly wouldn't be worried about a handbrake light,time to address low voltage in your system ,soon but not later you will have insufficient voltage to your coil and more importantly your starter won't turn over,DON"T take voltage from any where but the battery,you should have 12 + volts at rest and 13.4 to 14.4 under full charging load.
Do you have a working charge light?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 27 2018, 06:33 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2018, 01:12 AM) *
DON"T take voltage from any where but the battery,you should have 12 + volts at rest and 13.4 to 14.4 under full charging load.

+1. My GEN light used to come on and the center console voltmeter showed low voltage, but I had 13.5V at the battery with the car running. Bad grounds/bad connectors are common with our cars (I eventually removed the center console after I cleaned up all the connections.)

I have a corollary problem: my GEN light is on bright-ish at idle but dims as RPMs increase. Good voltage at the battery but of course lower voltage at lower RPM. So the GEN light is in INVERSE indicator...!

Need to break out the wiring diagram and figure out what's going on there. Good battery voltage at the fuse and the input wire, need to ring the wiring to see if there's some kind of connection problem to the alternator.
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 27 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #6

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 27 2018, 05:33 AM) *

I have a corollary problem: my GEN light is on bright-ish at idle but dims as RPMs increase. Good voltage at the battery but of course lower voltage at lower RPM. So the GEN light is in INVERSE indicator...!

Isn't this as it is designed? A warning light for low output that disappears as the alternator revs increase and output come up to proper voltage.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 27 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(worn @ Apr 27 2018, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 27 2018, 05:33 AM) *

Isn't this as it is designed? A warning light for low output that disappears as the alternator revs increase and output come up to proper voltage.

Ugh, I wrote that backwards: it's actually DIM at idle and BRIGHTENS as RPMs rise...
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Apr 27 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

There is some great information in this thread:

Alternator thread

Jim
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 28 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

That Post #15 is a gem.
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Apr 29 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,188

Ok i have 12.9 at battery with car not running. When running voltage jumps all over the place from 3.5 to 13.5. In response to Dave's question it flickers irregularly. I have read the thread recommended by Jim as well. I'm thinking voltage regulator at this point (hoping anyway). If that doesn't cure the problem will proceed with testing the alternator as suggested.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Apr 29 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE(mzapisek @ Apr 29 2018, 04:38 PM) *

Ok i have 12.9 at battery with car not running. When running voltage jumps all over the place from 3.5 to 13.5. In response to Dave's question it flickers irregularly. I have read the thread recommended by Jim as well. I'm thinking voltage regulator at this point (hoping anyway). If that doesn't cure the problem will proceed with testing the alternator as suggested.

That cannot be correct. The voltage cannot go below 12.9 when running. I suspect a meter or a connection at the meter. Maybe your meter or the leads are bad. Auto ranging meters can cause issues. You may have a bad alternator but I suggest trying a different meter first
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 29 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Flickering irregularly tends to indicate a poor connection somewhere.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:50 PM