Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Marchal LED Conversion for 356, An LED Headlight Project
Spoke
post Apr 26 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

A Porsche 356 owner contacted me about converting a set of Marchal fog running lights to LEDs. We talked about it and he asked if I could do it in 6 weeks. My response was I've never done a high power LED headlamp so it's more of a project than a product.

The Marchal running light is shown on this file-folder picture of a 356. That's not me nor the owner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

The idea was to design an LED-only board attached to a large heat sink and use a step-up dc-dc converter on a separate board to provide 0.275Amp to the LEDs.

The LEDs are Cree XP-G3 surface mount LEDs. These have a maximum current of 2 amps. The LEDs require a lens to focus the light pattern. The XP-G3 have a wide output light pattern and can't be used 'naked'. The lens per LED are Carclo's 10049 lens with a light pattern shown below.

Attached Image

The LED board uses 19 LEDs with lenses and holders. The board will be backed by a very large heat sink. The main killer of LEDs is heat. 2 amps through an LED with 3.5V is 7W in less than 1/4" square area. Massive power dissipation/heat in a very small area.

The PCB really should be an aluminum PCB but they are really expensive so the PCB is FR4 and is thin at 0.8mm to minimize thermal impedance of FR4. Vias from top to bottom are liberally applied to provide as much metal top-to-bottom for heat transfer. The clear area of the bottom of the board will allow maximum heat flow to the heat sink.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:25 AM