Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ball joint going bad?
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 8 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

My car passed tech at the last AX but the tech guy said I might want to check the ball joint on the passenger side. When you pull on the wheel you can feel a litttle "click" behind the wheel. So..... is this an indication that the ball joint is going bad??? what else should I check?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 8 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Could also be wheel bearing, which might just be loose. If you can feel movement when you rock the tire with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, it's not the ball joint, but the bearing. If you only feel movement at 12 and 6 o'clock, it's more likely the balljoint. Check the rubber covers on both balljoints and make sure they're not cracked and/or oozing grease.

If you're still not sure, try adjusting the wheel bearing and see if that helps. There's a procedure on at least one other thread already, so search for it, or just look in the manual.

+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 8 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #3

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

My ball joints were squeeking when I turned the wheel left or right. Sounded like rubber on rubber. Replaced them and its all good. I second the wheel bearing recommendation
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:49 PM