Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ball joint going bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
My car passed tech at the last AX but the tech guy said I might want to check the ball joint on the passenger side. When you pull on the wheel you can feel a litttle "click" behind the wheel. So..... is this an indication that the ball joint is going bad??? what else should I check?
lapuwali
Could also be wheel bearing, which might just be loose. If you can feel movement when you rock the tire with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, it's not the ball joint, but the bearing. If you only feel movement at 12 and 6 o'clock, it's more likely the balljoint. Check the rubber covers on both balljoints and make sure they're not cracked and/or oozing grease.

If you're still not sure, try adjusting the wheel bearing and see if that helps. There's a procedure on at least one other thread already, so search for it, or just look in the manual.

ChrisReale
My ball joints were squeeking when I turned the wheel left or right. Sounded like rubber on rubber. Replaced them and its all good. I second the wheel bearing recommendation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.