Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stolen Blue 1974 914 & Trailer...reward offered, Not me....
ConeDodger
post May 2 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 2 2018, 05:09 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Thieves suck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Now the hard lesson for everyone that pulls a trailer. There is NO excuse for not having a spare and if you have double axle trailer then 2 spares. I would rather pull my trailer with 4 flats then leave it along side any road unwatched while I go to find a place to buy a replacement tire (or 2).

Also carry some heavy duty ratchet straps if you have a dual axle trailer. If you don't have a spare then in a pinch you could rig up the axel with no tire on it so it doesn't touch the ground and slowly pull it hopefully to a safer place than leaving it along a highway unattended.

To add to Garold’s rant, trailer tires are usually spec’d at 50psi or there about. If you don’t check them, they’ll piss out 25psi and you’ll go through tires like they’re nada. If you’re lucky. The trailer will not tow correctly and you could lose your load and more.
No excuse for not checking your trailer tires. They live a hard life, almost always outside and most don’t bother to check pressures.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post May 2 2018, 11:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 2 2018, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 2 2018, 03:19 PM) *

A about a year or so ago, a member here had his trailered 914 stolen at a Motel. IIRC, they abandoned the 914 and kept the trailer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Are trailers the low hanging fruit ?

The thieves can use the trailer to steal more stuff... that and usually people have tools or generators and other goodies that are easier to sell in a trailer.

Yep, had my trailer stolen while stored at a friends house. They used my trailer and his trailer to haul away his 5 collector cars, 3 motorcycles and a bunch of shop equipment. Clearly they made multiple trips while he was out of town. Police recovered all of the cars but said that we will never see the trailers again. As long as they're attached to a registered vehicle law enforcement doesn't really pay attention to them.

Really empathize with the Craigslist poster. That sucks and I hope he gets his stuff back.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 3 2018, 01:33 PM
Post #23

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

When I was up at Marty's (maltese falcon) picking up my header last week I noticed he had these wheel locks on his trailer. 4 of them! Marty said in spite of them, someone still tried to steel it thinking they would break off in the process. They were wrong. They got a half a block with the trailer.

I immediately came home and bought 4 off Amazon. Not cheap but my trailer is worth it!
It has to slow them down.

Thanks once again Marty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 3 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #24

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Had a friend lose his trailer with race prepped 914 inside. Two days later the 914 was found in a mall parking lot. Trailer theft is huge in Oklahoma, with no title , registration, or tag on a trailer.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 3 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #25

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 3 2018, 12:33 PM) *

When I was up at Marty's (maltese falcon) picking up my header last week I noticed he had these wheel locks on his trailer. 4 of them! Marty said in spite of them, someone still tried to steel it thinking they would break off in the process. They were wrong. They got a half a block with the trailer.

I immediately came home and bought 4 off Amazon. Not cheap but my trailer is worth it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I get the point, I have to get a boot or two and a GPS device on my trailer right away.

I thank you but my wallet doesn't. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 3 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a SPOT hidden on my trailer. Sends text alert if any movement and also tracks location. Wheel locks simply slow down the crook. Ones shown can be cut in about 30 seconds each with a portable grinder cutoff.

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 3 2018, 02:33 PM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 3 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #27

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 2 2018, 04:09 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Thieves suck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Now the hard lesson for everyone that pulls a trailer. There is NO excuse for not having a spare and if you have double axle trailer then 2 spares. I would rather pull my trailer with 4 flats then leave it along side any road unwatched while I go to find a place to buy a replacement tire (or 2).

Also carry some heavy duty ratchet straps if you have a dual axle trailer. If you don't have a spare then in a pinch you could rig up the axel with no tire on it so it doesn't touch the ground and slowly pull it hopefully to a safer place than leaving it along a highway unattended.

Good Advice!

Possibly attaching one of these trackers to the trailer and car. Not as useful as a lojack but very affordable. It uses Crowd Tracking to find the device. Anyone with the app on the phone that drives within 100 feet of the device sends your the location.
Better than nothing IMHO
https://www.amazon.com/TrackR-pixel-Bluetoo...creative=165953

With todays cordless cut off saws and grinders thieves can get into anything very quickly.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 8 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #28

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Good News (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

“I got my 914 back and the car trailer! I got a lucky tip from someone off craigslist add that showed the car and info about 2k reward ! The guy never asked for $ so i gave him 400.00 cash anyways ! Thank u so much for your help and concerns ! Please let the club know that i recovered it and thank them also for there looking out and spreading the word and vin #s ! William Fruehe”

Can you believe this .
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 8 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Great news.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 8 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

An old cell phone hardwired to the battery. Doesn’t cost much to add to your account and you can use find my phone to track
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 8 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #31

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

That is terrific news! May the thieves be stricken with a debilitating case of hemorrhoids
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 8 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #32

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Terrific news. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 9 2018, 07:18 AM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Finally a happy ending!
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post May 10 2018, 06:05 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 8 2018, 09:56 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Good News (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

“I got my 914 back and the car trailer! I got a lucky tip from someone off craigslist add that showed the car and info about 2k reward ! The guy never asked for $ so i gave him 400.00 cash anyways ! Thank u so much for your help and concerns ! Please let the club know that i recovered it and thank them also for there looking out and spreading the word and vin #s ! William Fruehe”

Can you believe this .

Wow, you are so very lucky! Most stories like this don't have such a good ending.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 10 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

I agree probably just wanted the trailer, happened here in Atlanta about a year ago, two 911s in a big enclosed trailer, stole the trailer, found out about the cars, off loaded them, they recovered the Porsches but never the trailer.

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 2 2018, 03:19 PM) *

A about a year or so ago, a member here had his trailered 914 stolen at a Motel. IIRC, they abandoned the 914 and kept the trailer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Are trailers the low hanging fruit ?

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 10 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #36

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

I think they should do to car thieves what they used to do to horse thieves! if ya know what I mean

Jim, did they find out who did the dead, or just locate the car and trailer?
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 10 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #37

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

I think Ed Turbo and I punished him at our SoCal Fun Day event last year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 10 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #38

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 10 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Jim, did they find out who did the dead, or just locate the car and trailer?

The story is unclear; I posted what the owner texted me....Don’t know him and not a member here, although he is a long time 914 owner.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:27 PM