Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3rd brake light options, Are there any examples on 914 out there?
McMark
post May 10 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Fully polished Corvette light.

I prefer the lights on the engine lid. I find anything on the targa bar impedes rear visibility in the mirror.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 10 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(My 914 @ May 10 2018, 10:20 AM) *

With many of today's drivers not paying attention, I think the third light makes a big difference as it catches your eye sooner as you look at the car in front of you.

There are data. Large studies estimate the third brake lights reduce rear end collisions by +/- 4.5% The problem is that those studies were from the late 90s before 25% of the bozos on the road had cell phones in their hands, so I don't know how far I trust those numbers. They are still the best estimates I've found and good enough that I'll be adding a 3rd brake light. Newer studies are showing that pulsed lights are more effective so I'll be looking for that feature in whatever I choose. I'm liking those corvette lights.

Not Porsche related, but our Honda CRV supposedly had one of the lowest rear end crash incident ratings for vehicles sold when we got it. Supposedly, this was because both the tail lights and third light are mounted high. That didn't stop a ditz on her cell phone from rear ending my wife, but we will never know how many other idiots didn't hit it because of the lights.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 10 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #23

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 10:17 AM) *

I prefer the lights on the engine lid. I find anything on the targa bar impedes rear visibility in the mirror.
That's why I like the idea of the LED strip embedded in the targa trim ... and it's totally reversible, just have to replace the trim piece and wiring if need be.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-153-1213918045.jpg)

I sourced an extra trim piece and will carefully mill the opening to fit the LED strip, and depending on the LED strip's construction, possibly install a clear face plate to keep it dry in inclement weather conditions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pat.gif)

Also, I frequently tap my brake pedal several times prior to coming to a stop sign or signal, especially when I notice traffic coming up behind me - hoping the flashing brake lights might cause an otherwise inattentive driver to notice. Sometimes, I'll activate my emergency flashers (on any vehicle I happen to be driving) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 10 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 11:17 AM) *

Mark,

Is that the base metal coated with poly? Looks good -
I ask because I have 2 of these...
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 10 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #25

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

So they sell these modules that make the 3rd light a strobe. So bright when flashing it is like a cop light.

Not sure if these are illegal but I have been seeing these on cars in Los Angeles. Mostly street racing types with cars from Japan. Really gets your attention. If you are not looking at your phone.

I am thinking of one.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 10 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 10 2018, 03:06 PM) *
I sourced an extra trim piece and will carefully mill the opening to fit the LED strip, and depending on the LED strip's construction, possibly install a clear face plate to keep it dry in inclement weather conditions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pat.gif)

Yeah, that's the friggin deal... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post May 10 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

I plan to put in a 3rd brake light, the extra margin is enough to convince me. But I will also be installing a dashcam.
+Quote Post
1adam12
post May 10 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 21,132

Those intermittent modules have caught my eye as well. Like you said, very popular with the JDM mods like BRZ which I see all around So. Cal .

The integration into the rear trim piece that Euro911 did is clean too. I think those Corvette options are beautifully done but I would prefer the higher mount position.

I could honestly care less about being period correct when it comes to safety improvements. I love California but too many asshats on the road especially in LA and I'm in the I.E. where every other vehicle is a lifted truck!

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 10 2018, 01:02 PM) *

So they sell these modules that make the 3rd light a strobe. So bright when flashing it is like a cop light.

Not sure if these are illegal but I have been seeing these on cars in Los Angeles. Mostly street racing types with cars from Japan. Really gets your attention. If you are not looking at your phone.

I am thinking of one.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

+Quote Post
1adam12
post May 10 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 21,132

Picked up a 350z 3rd brake light today at the pick a part today for 15 bucks. The black plastic housing was busted up pretty good from pickers pulling the rear glass. Anyways, the housing covers the entire back and bottom so light project outward only. The only thing is that the harness connection is completely visible through the rear glass of the 914 which could be remedied.

It would take some work to make this a clean install within the cabin. Well, experimenting can be fun!

Not sure what's going on above my rear glass but looks like a re-seal is in order.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 10 2018, 06:12 PM
Post #30

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Just an FYI, if you mount it on the inside of the glass, I'm pretty sure it will reflect back into the passenger compartment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:15 AM