Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd brake light options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1adam12
Ever since I found out that one of our members (I'll leave his name out) beautiful 914 was rear ended a couple months back, I've been looking at possible options for a 3rd brake light. The person who will remain nameless for now said that the women in her SUV didn't see him. I'm sure she may have been driving distracted because I've driven behind 914's in my SUV and can see them fine but of course that's all I'm looking at biggrin.gif .

Well besides running an off road whip flag on our cars, I thought it would be functional to install a tasteful 3rd brake light. I haven't done anything yet as I wanted to see what's been done or attempted already.

I personally like the LED strip on the 350z. It's not too bright and not as repulsive of just running a LED strip roll. I believe I could install it somehow under the OE roll bar. It may look cool or it may suck but improved visibility for drivers behind you would be a plus. Another option would be something like the 80's Carrera 3rd brake light mounted on the rear deck but that would be lower than the first option.

GeorgeRud
A 3rd brake light is a great idea if you’re actually driving in traffic. The best one I ever saw was one that a fellow had cut into the upper rollbar trim (and fit a Ford GT brake light into the recess). Looked extremely professional and didn’t interfere with rear vision. I just wish I had a picture to share of the setup. The little flashing modules for the 3rd brake light might also be a good idea to be seen as we do sit much lower than your typical SUV.
oakdalecurtis
A couple of thoughts. I added a third brake light under the targa bar. I would be cautious about using any LED light here that you can see from inside the cabin at night when activated, otherwise you'll get a lot of distracting reflection in the rear window. I did not want to rely on the light's adhesive so I drilled a small hole through the curved mount and put a metal screw up into the targa bar on each end. I ran the wires through the attachment leg into a small hole in the targa bar, then out the back and along under the rear trim piece. Where the trim meets the body, I put the wire through a small hole drilled through the body under the trim, then through the engine bag into the trunk through another small hole. Once inside the trunk, the wire went back to the brake light wires at the rear lens. I also added a small strobe module at the brake light wire connection, so when I hit my brakes, the third light strobes nicely, hard to miss! When I took a video of the third brake light working at night, you could see the LED strobe come on a moment BEFORE the incandescent lights could heat up and shine. Good luck!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
GoWesty sells this one, which I put on my Vanagon, but not sure if I'll do it on my 914 if not in traffic. A clean install, easily reversible, uses adhesive pad without drilling holes & screwing into anything, like the tabs on the light which you show.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/exterior-li...ght-kit-led-?v=

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Spoke
I'm using United Pacific 38949B - United Pacific LED Taillight Bar available at Summit Racing. They come in 6, 9, and 12 inch lengths. This is the 12 inch model.

3rd Brake

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Mines a Hella unit sunk into the roof ...not my choice was done when I got the car,so I'am running with it for the moment,fitted a quick connect plug where the useless seatbelt hook was.
Click to view attachment
I got a spare roof with the car so maybe sort it later if it won't pass compliance.
Click to view attachment
I would prefer a flush surface mount on top of the engine lid as I don't want anything hanging from the top of the rear window.
1adam12
Man, I like that idea of the quick release location on the targa.

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 9 2018, 07:12 PM) *

Mines a Hella unit sunk into the roof ...not my choice was done when I got the car,so I'am running with it for the moment,fitted a quick connect plug where the useless seatbelt hook was.
Click to view attachment
I got a spare roof with the car so maybe sort it later if it won't pass compliance.
Click to view attachment
I would prefer a flush surface mount on top of the engine lid as I don't want anything hanging from the top of the rear window.

1adam12
These are all great ideas people. Definitely in the same ballpark of what I would like to do.
1adam12
The Carrera option for anyone wanting to do a flat mount on the rear deck.
1adam12
Ahhh.. I didn't even see this thread. Thanks!

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 9 2018, 08:10 PM) *

Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 9 2018, 10:10 PM) *

I have the corvette light McMark shows in the first example. It is perfect IMHO. Really looks like it was made for the car
dangrouche
here is my post from 2013 biggrin.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=212499
euro911
I bolted a third light from an '86 Corvette in the engine lid, ahead of the grille on my '75.

IPB Image

It works OK, but in hindsight, I should have waited until I saw other options. I really like the LED strips some folks have embedded in the upper horizontal trim piece at the back of the targa bar. I plan to do that on the '71.

Here's the link to the how-to thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=82636&hl=
mgp4591
Others have taken the Corvette and GMC suv 3rd brake light modules and mounted them under the targa bar - they're attached simply with 2 screws and are already weatherproof so they're ready to go. Sorry no pictures but you get the idea...
Mike Fitton
You are kidding yourself if you think a 3rd brake light is going to keep a distracted driver from rear ending you. I think all the options take away from the original look of the rear end in my opinion and really look awful. I would be more concerned about someone backing into me at a stop light because they can't see me, so leave plenty of room.
GeorgeRud
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 10 2018, 05:29 AM) *

You are kidding yourself if you think a 3rd brake light is going to keep a distracted driver from rear ending you. I think all the options take away from the original look of the rear end in my opinion and really look awful. I would be more concerned about someone backing into me at a stop light because they can't see me, so leave plenty of room.

You’re biased by dealing with Chicagoland’s brain dead, cell phone addicted drivers! You always have to drive and park as if you’re invisible, because folks just don’t pay any attention anymore. I wouldn’t mount a 3rd light on an original -6, but figure it wouldn’t hurt anything on a conversion FrankenPorsche.
914Toy
I also have a late '80's Corvette light mounted as shown above - recently discovered it is EXACTLY the same as the third brake light on a 944 cab smile.gif
My 914
With many of today's drivers not paying attention, I think the third light makes a big difference as it catches your eye sooner as you look at the car in front of you.
Shadowfax
Corvette light looks like a good option. I got a third brake light from Daniel Stern Lighting for my 911. Don’t see one on his site that would work for a 914 but might be worth a try calling him for input. Daniel Stern

Unfortunately, the extra light couldn’t prevent some jackass from pulling in front of me. A$$hat said he didn’t see me...

Click to view attachment
McMark
Fully polished Corvette light.

I prefer the lights on the engine lid. I find anything on the targa bar impedes rear visibility in the mirror.
bbrock
QUOTE(My 914 @ May 10 2018, 10:20 AM) *

With many of today's drivers not paying attention, I think the third light makes a big difference as it catches your eye sooner as you look at the car in front of you.

There are data. Large studies estimate the third brake lights reduce rear end collisions by +/- 4.5% The problem is that those studies were from the late 90s before 25% of the bozos on the road had cell phones in their hands, so I don't know how far I trust those numbers. They are still the best estimates I've found and good enough that I'll be adding a 3rd brake light. Newer studies are showing that pulsed lights are more effective so I'll be looking for that feature in whatever I choose. I'm liking those corvette lights.

Not Porsche related, but our Honda CRV supposedly had one of the lowest rear end crash incident ratings for vehicles sold when we got it. Supposedly, this was because both the tail lights and third light are mounted high. That didn't stop a ditz on her cell phone from rear ending my wife, but we will never know how many other idiots didn't hit it because of the lights.
euro911
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 10:17 AM) *

I prefer the lights on the engine lid. I find anything on the targa bar impedes rear visibility in the mirror.
That's why I like the idea of the LED strip embedded in the targa trim ... and it's totally reversible, just have to replace the trim piece and wiring if need be.

IPB Image

I sourced an extra trim piece and will carefully mill the opening to fit the LED strip, and depending on the LED strip's construction, possibly install a clear face plate to keep it dry in inclement weather conditions pat.gif

Also, I frequently tap my brake pedal several times prior to coming to a stop sign or signal, especially when I notice traffic coming up behind me - hoping the flashing brake lights might cause an otherwise inattentive driver to notice. Sometimes, I'll activate my emergency flashers (on any vehicle I happen to be driving) cool_shades.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 11:17 AM) *

Mark,

Is that the base metal coated with poly? Looks good -
I ask because I have 2 of these...
burton73
So they sell these modules that make the 3rd light a strobe. So bright when flashing it is like a cop light.

Not sure if these are illegal but I have been seeing these on cars in Los Angeles. Mostly street racing types with cars from Japan. Really gets your attention. If you are not looking at your phone.

I am thinking of one.

Bob B
w00t.gif w00t.gif
McMark
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 10 2018, 03:06 PM) *
I sourced an extra trim piece and will carefully mill the opening to fit the LED strip, and depending on the LED strip's construction, possibly install a clear face plate to keep it dry in inclement weather conditions pat.gif

Yeah, that's the friggin deal... drooley.gif
mbseto
I plan to put in a 3rd brake light, the extra margin is enough to convince me. But I will also be installing a dashcam.
1adam12
Those intermittent modules have caught my eye as well. Like you said, very popular with the JDM mods like BRZ which I see all around So. Cal .

The integration into the rear trim piece that Euro911 did is clean too. I think those Corvette options are beautifully done but I would prefer the higher mount position.

I could honestly care less about being period correct when it comes to safety improvements. I love California but too many asshats on the road especially in LA and I'm in the I.E. where every other vehicle is a lifted truck!

QUOTE(burton73 @ May 10 2018, 01:02 PM) *

So they sell these modules that make the 3rd light a strobe. So bright when flashing it is like a cop light.

Not sure if these are illegal but I have been seeing these on cars in Los Angeles. Mostly street racing types with cars from Japan. Really gets your attention. If you are not looking at your phone.

I am thinking of one.

Bob B
w00t.gif w00t.gif

1adam12
Picked up a 350z 3rd brake light today at the pick a part today for 15 bucks. The black plastic housing was busted up pretty good from pickers pulling the rear glass. Anyways, the housing covers the entire back and bottom so light project outward only. The only thing is that the harness connection is completely visible through the rear glass of the 914 which could be remedied.

It would take some work to make this a clean install within the cabin. Well, experimenting can be fun!

Not sure what's going on above my rear glass but looks like a re-seal is in order.
euro911
Just an FYI, if you mount it on the inside of the glass, I'm pretty sure it will reflect back into the passenger compartment idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.