Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 Conversion - outlaw Street and track car project, (Was “Would you do This 1400 mile road trip?)
PlaysWithCars
post May 20 2018, 09:02 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
You'll have to bypass Sacramento, but Hwy 36 between Fortuna and Red Bluff is a great drive and was repaved in the last 5ish years so its in good shape. The Mad River Burger Bar is an experience, not for the burgers but for the culture of Mad River. When we stopped there the local were very excited to have a Porsche in their midst.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
settador
post May 21 2018, 06:40 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4,086
Region Association: None

QUOTE(davehg @ May 20 2018, 11:51 AM) *

Looks like the tribes have spoken ROAD TRIP IT IS!!!

Great tips here. I can have the mechanic do a once over, and will sort the necessary stuff. I may rely on the kindness of folks here should a mishap occur.

I’ll be rockin mb111’s new sport GT prototype muffler since the stock one is toast.

I have at least 4 days back so the days should be manageable. I’m eyeing late July which means the coast would be ideal, except that Oregon coast is clogged with RVs that time of year. I may go through Lancaster, then head west, do Hwy 1, then up by Laguna Seca and head to Sacramento where my in laws reside. I really want to do Hwy 70 from Oroville to Lassen, then 44 to 299 to Eureka, up the coast into central Oregon. If the going isn’t too slow, I can stay on 101 pretty much close to Olympia. This route avoids some but not all of the heat.

Of course I’ll do a ride report.

Keep tips coming and when the date is set and locked I will let folks know and ask for contact info should stuff happen. I have a spot device too, might come in handy.

My kid is into cars, and has his permit but is learning stick. Goal in getting this car back home is to do autocross with him to improve skills.i lost my dad when I was very young so the inspiration to take this trip with my kid is very personal and strong.

No room for a spare but I will bring a air pump and tire worm kit to handle basic flats, AAA premium for most everything else.

Thanks everyone for encouragement, assistance, and tips!

So psyched for you! Looking forward to updates!
+Quote Post
davehg
post May 21 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 21,443

QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 20 2018, 08:02 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
You'll have to bypass Sacramento, but Hwy 36 between Fortuna and Red Bluff is a great drive and was repaved in the last 5ish years so its in good shape. The Mad River Burger Bar is an experience, not for the burgers but for the culture of Mad River. When we stopped there the local were very excited to have a Porsche in their midst.

Yes, stopped there once when on a motorcycle trip. They had pretty exotic meat choices (alligator, bison, snake etc) you could choose for your hamburger. Fun crowd, though I am pretty sure I heard banjos playing when we were sitting. (You sure got a purty mouth....)

Here's a couple of route plans. Problem is that Hwy 1 @ Big Sur is closed until Sept., and I want to stay away from I5 and 99 as long as I can b/c speeds and heat.

Days 1-2: https://binged.it/2LkzzSn
Takes us on Pines to Palms and then freeways around Los Angeles to Santa Paula. Then hit the glorious Hwy 33 to Ojai and Santa Maria. Slog up 101. Staying with relatives in Roseville.

Detour ideas? I could stay on 15 - Palmdale to 14 (Santa Clarita) then a brief jaunt up I5 to Frazier Park, then west to 33, but that bypasses some nice parts of 33. Up north, I could cut over around Gilroy, and take 152-Merced, then 140 to Mariposa and up past Sonora and head the back way into Roseville through Folsom. Not sure if those temps will be hotter than 101. Anyone?

Day 3-4
https://binged.it/2x6S35M
Ambitious - and hot through Red Bluff but nice and cool on the coast

Day 5 - Depending on how we feel, may need to hop on I5 around Eugene and head home.

+Quote Post
Rand
post May 21 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #44

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Without hesitation, GO! Never let fear steal an adventure from you. Plan with AAA and take an epic adventure!!! Even if things go wrong, it will still be worth it because it will make a memorable experience. Compared to what? Staying home because you weren't sure? Meh, GO FOR IT! Teach your son to take risks that lead to bigger things rather than coil back and miss all the great opportunities. In fact, the bigger troubles you could have, the better teaching opportunities to equip your son to deal with adversity. I'd always rather have the experience to handle something because of an earlier hard time, than try and pamper and make everything perfect and miss out on the most important experiences and lessons in life. GO forth and don't look back!
+Quote Post
warpig
post May 21 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 12,002

QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 03:22 PM) *

Without hesitation, GO! Never let fear steal an adventure from you. Plan with AAA and take an epic adventure!!! Even if things go wrong, it will still be worth it because it will make a memorable experience. Compared to what? Staying home because you weren't sure? Meh, GO FOR IT! Teach your son to take risks that lead to bigger things rather than coil back and miss all the great opportunities. In fact, the bigger troubles you could have, the better teaching opportunities to equip your son to deal with adversity. I'd always rather have the experience to handle something because of an earlier hard time, than try and pamper and make everything perfect and miss out on the most important experiences and lessons in life. GO forth and don't look back!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
That's where concourse weenies come from (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 21 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Just caught up with this thread. What a great idea.
+Quote Post
kahluver
post May 21 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 17,973
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 03:22 PM) *

What he said!!!

As for the travel pack. I packed about 50lbs of tools and spares in the trunk for our 1800 mile road trip. Be sure to pack a travel jump starter, air compressor and lots of bottles of water. The one thing that almost stranded us was a heat soaked starter. So you may want to be sure you have a relay kit for your starter circuit or remember to park in locations you can push start.

Have fun! It's been 2 years now and my son and I still talk about our trip. He's also not afraid of breaking down in a car now as he know we can figure out how to fix it.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 22 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #48

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A floor jack.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post May 22 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 2,922

I'd drive it. But one thing to consider is- How loud is it? It looks like it has a stock muffler, so your probably ok? If it has a race muffler you may get a terrible headache from the noise hours on end. Probably bring ear plugs just in case.

If you break down maybe rent a uhaul truck and trailer and tow it home the rest of the way? Might be hard to get it on the uhaul trailer if broken, might want to pick up a come along.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 22 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

Road trip with the kid for sure! Let him experience the world that exists beyond his arm holding his iPhone! In my long lost college days I did many multi-day drives in my Bugeye Sprite, like Ohio to Sebring for the races. And a 914, even in race trim, is a much better and more "sophisticated" drive than a Bugeye, all 948ccs of raw power! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 22 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #51

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I drove this from Portland to Sacramento in a day. It is a lot more uncivilized than the one you’re proposing to drive. Climb through a cage to get in and out? No gas gauge? Six cylinder screaming at you through a basic race interior? LOUD exhaust?

You’re almost pampered in comparison! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post May 22 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Drive it!! My dad and I brought a "new" to us '65 356 Cab from LA to Des Moines IA back in the mid 80's. Only one little hiccup and a trip I'll never forget. A few years ago my older son and I flew to TN to drive a 911 back to IA.

Do it, especially if your son inherited the car gene...Attached Image
+Quote Post
davehg
post May 22 2018, 11:30 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 22 2018, 06:54 PM) *

I drove this from Portland to Sacramento in a day. It is a lot more uncivilized than the one you’re proposing to drive. Climb through a cage to get in and out? No gas gauge? Six cylinder screaming at you through a basic race interior? LOUD exhaust?

You’re almost pampered in comparison! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Roll cage to climb through? Check
Loud basic race interior? Check.

You got me on the gas gauge but I am lacking functional turn signals, and at least you have side windows.

I pray we don’t encounter bees...
+Quote Post
jcd914
post May 23 2018, 12:31 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

When you get your route and timing figured out post it so those of us between your starting point and ending point can pay attention in case you need assistance.

I know there are people willing to lend a hand if needed along the way.

Jim
+Quote Post
RickS
post May 23 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 5,880

Hell no! Don’t do it!!
[b]
You may enjoy yourselves so much you might be tempted to buy strays all around the country and have epic tales to tell.
+Quote Post
trueview74
post May 25 2018, 02:32 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 18,620

Road Trip, For Sure! Few opportunities, such as this potential road trip, come our way in our hectic "always busy" lives. Life is meant TO LIVE and who better to share such an experience with than your young son. Bonding in this way is priceless... in my humble opinion. Travel light, plenty of water, some snacks, some cash your AAA card and you're golden! Plan your itinerary and the rest will work itself out! Safe travels and enjoy yourselves! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 27 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #57

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 19 2018, 03:24 PM) *

AAA Premier will tow 200 miles - 4 times per year / .....and if you're like me, you will need roadside assistance ocasionally. Once, when on the way to our home on the cali coast from Hell, Arizona,.., my C4S had a flat on the 10 freeway and I was 345 miles from home.

I called for a two hundred mile tow to a safe spot and had the car offloaded from the flat deck of the truck. Then called for another tow to get the second leg home. Te same driver showed up and dropped off the car at the Porsche dealer after dropping me off at home...... Big Tow for the guy / Big tip for the guy as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You have to wait for 30 days after a tow to put the extended tow with AAA. I know as I paid $300 to get towed to Lemons home and then had to wait. At least I have it in place now.

Bob B
+Quote Post
davehg
post May 29 2018, 01:55 PM
Post #58

One way airplane tickets and hotel reserved for mid-July. I'm now committed.
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 29 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #59

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

OK, get the big AAA tow package. Get you son on the card and double the use of the card.

Great road trips are never forgot. UPS some tools in advance of you getting there.
It would be nice to have more than a stock kit with you

Bob B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 30 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(davehg @ May 29 2018, 02:55 PM) *

One way airplane tickets and hotel reserved for mid-July. I'm now committed.

Right on!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:35 PM