Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT, For all those complaining about /6 engine prices, At least it's not a 996 engine
Chris H.
post May 24 2018, 07:41 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 23 2018, 11:21 AM) *

I think LS v8 conversions are going to be MUCH more popular in the future for the 996's.

I've been considering it when the prices of the cars hit rock bottom and the conversion gets a little more affordable as the 996's are very nice drivers cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) !!!!!!! ^^^^^^^

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 24 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #22

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 24 2018, 08:41 AM) *

I think LS v8 conversions are going to be MUCH more popular in the future for the 996's.

I've been considering it when the prices of the cars hit rock bottom and the conversion gets a little more affordable as the 996's are very nice drivers cars.

Subaru six conversion would probably be easier.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 24 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2018, 04:43 AM) *

How much? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not really in the market but would be interested for the right price.

Smart man.

The 996 C4S was a GREAT drive—better, in some ways, than the sublime 996 Turbo—and with a keener engine would be even better.

Been wondering where the tipping point for the 996 might be, as it is interesting to me what people will spend fixing massive rust and/or mag cases etc in cars that are nice to look at and be around but are nowhere near as good to drive or usable as, say, a 996 C4S. I remember an early phone call with Jake Raby, where he floated the idea about getting into M96 engines, and I thought it was a very smart move. That was a long time ago, and it's nice to see some people actually paying to build these engines up.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 24 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #24

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 23 2018, 12:21 PM) *

I've looked into it, to have it pro done it's about the same price (if not more) as a performance rebuild with LN goodies. You can get a factory 996 short block, a shop could install that for about the price of parts on a LS conversion alone. The only V8's worthy of the conversion are aluminum block engines. Also there's no room atop of the engine so body mods, a hatch, would be wise.

Some areas you may run into emissions and insurance hassles. Here the car would be classed as a "hotrod", you have to have stock induction and exhaust (cats) with the engine year emissions, you also have to install an OBD port beside the 996 one. The wiring can be done, but making the GM ECU talk to the porsche ECU is problematic.
If you want to track it, which most of my customers do, I'm sure you will run into class issues.

It's a lot more work than one may think, Renegade charges over $30k and the Renegade kit is $8k alone IIRC.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post May 24 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

I'll say this about 996's. A couple of years ago I was looking to add a modern Porsche to the stable, preferably with a back seat for the kids, A/C would be nice too. As luck would have it, one town over a guy was selling a 996 Anniversary Edition so I went and drove it. The first funny thing was I pulled up in my 356 and he looked at it and said, "Is that a Porsche?" I then drove the car and was pretty underwhelmed. A friend who has been driving Porsches since they were new has owned a 996, a 997, and currently has a 991. He confided in me that with the newer ones you have to push them to the limit to make it feel like a 911. He said paddle shifting is cool, but his wife's Jetta has it too, as does his dogwalker's Subaru. Another friend who works for Porsche pointed out to me that around the water cooler the 996 is referred to as the 911 that the Accountant's designed.
I decided on adding a 993 to the stable and I have to say, it feels like a Porsche, no mistaking it for anything else. A/C and a backseat is a bonus!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 15 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #26

that's what I do!

Another expensive 996 problem.
3.6 to 4.0 upgrade planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbz3_gG4Sz4
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 15 2018, 09:01 PM
Post #27

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

How bad does the IMS trash the engine?
I'd expect a new cnc'd block and pistons to not be cheap but a rebuild with stock stuff shouldn't be too bad, or is it?

Doesn't the Audi 4.1 V8 bolt onto the trans, or the 2.7TT, or the Phaeton W12? You can almost buy a whole donor car for the cost of the LS adapter.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 15 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #28

that's what I do!

This is scored cylinders and oval bores, so the pistons slap. This is a low mile car at 75,000km (47k miles) so the hope is the heads are Ok. The damage on this one is because it's a cold winter driven car, I'm seeing this as often as IMS failures.
The owner still wants to drive it winters, so he's opting for the nikasil cylinders over a factory shortblock.

IMS failure it depends how fast you can shut it down, how fast it fails and how fast you're going. Sometimes the damage is workable, sometimes it wipes out the whole engine...total carnage.

No idea if other engines will work, I'm sure subi has been done, the LS engines are a hair long and you have to hack some of the internal bodywork out of the way. You're also are wise to cut in some access panels similar to a 914/6 firewall hatch.
Anything longer than a LS engine will likely be a problem.

The other thing about the aluminum block and heads LS engine is it's about the same weight as the Porsche engine, so it doesn't affect the weight bias by much. It just raises the center of gravity a bit.

The LS conversion isn't a whole lot cheaper than a new porsche engine, using a factory shortblock I can do a rebuild cheaper or same price an an econo LS build. An alunimum 5.3 truck engine would be the cheapest donor, but it's only 300hp so really it's a downgrade.
LS6 and up gets damn close to a nickies build. Renegade charges around $30K for a conversion.
+Quote Post
amfab
post Jun 16 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 20,004

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 24 2018, 09:58 AM) *

...He confided in me that with the newer ones you have to push them to the limit to make it feel like a 911...

I think that describes the main difference to me, at least from a street car perspective. My girlfriend's 2009 Carrera S with the PDK transmission is a fantastic car, it does pretty much everything perfectly, but it only feels like a 911 when you get on it.

It is so powerful that the rest of the time—maybe 80% of the time—around town you cannot push into the fun zone, and it becomes like just another modern luxury car (and it feels a bit heavy.)

With a 914, especially with a four, you can—and almost have to—push it to 100% all the time and not get into too much trouble. Thats why it is so much fun—all the time.

There are times though, like when all of a sudden I am in bumper to bumper traffic and its 97 degrees, that the 997 is clearly the best option because it can slip out of performance mode into luxury car in an instant. But 80% luxury time/20% performance time is not the best ratio for me. It starts to make the car feel boring.

My 993 is a good balance for me. It is more like 80% performance time/20% luxury.

The 997—and Im sure the 996s—are great cars and I think about buying one or a Boxster, or a Cayman now and then—usually when I am in traffic and its hot and I am trying to talk on the phone. Maybe I will in the future, but for now, they have to leak a little, squeak a little, and if I turn on the heat I want to smell a little oil.

-Andrew
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 16 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #30

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 24 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 24 2018, 08:41 AM) *

Subaru six conversion would probably be easier.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

that would make a really nice conversion. I am interested also in line always wanted a c4
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:57 AM