Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: Used Patrick Motorsports Fuel Cell, sold and shipped to Larry
Steve
post Jun 4 2018, 12:17 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

For Sale: Used Patrick Motorsports Fuel Cell.
$650.00 or best offer
Purchased and installed by Otto's March 2006.
Bladder is original. The bladder holds 10 gallons.
I was told by fuel safe the bladder replacement is only available from Patrick Motorsports. I was told its around $1k for a replacement. I would call to make sure.
Here is a link to the PMS page for more information.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/por...tank-10-gallon/
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 5 2018, 07:13 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Can you pull and offer pics of the bladder/condition? SCCA no longer mandates the 5-year replacement ("Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date.") In reality, most orgs don't actually enforce it because it's such a PITA to pull bladders to verify the dates. It's probably a case of "looks good, looks safe, it's your ass go have fun."

More importantly, however, I'm not seeing on Patrick's web site where this cell carries the required FIA or SFI certification. SCCA's regs:

"All safety fuel bladders shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT- 5, etc.) or SFI 28.3 specifications. Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date. Alternatively, safety fuel cells shall be constructed in accordance with FIA FT-3 or higher or SFI 28.3 specifications and tested to those requirements by an independent facility as witnessed and certified by a Professional Engineer."

Were I doing things all over again, I'd go this direction instead of a cell mounted up front in the trunk area. SCCA actually allows use of the stock tank because "stock fuel tank is located between the axle center lines and within the main chassis structure".

If you an demonstrate that the bladder is actually in good shape, you may have a larger customer base for it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 5 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 5 2018, 06:13 AM) *

Can you pull and offer pics of the bladder/condition? SCCA no longer mandates the 5-year replacement ("Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date.") In reality, most orgs don't actually enforce it because it's such a PITA to pull bladders to verify the dates. It's probably a case of "looks good, looks safe, it's your ass go have fun."

More importantly, however, I'm not seeing on Patrick's web site where this cell carries the required FIA or SFI certification. SCCA's regs:

"All safety fuel bladders shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT- 5, etc.) or SFI 28.3 specifications. Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date. Alternatively, safety fuel cells shall be constructed in accordance with FIA FT-3 or higher or SFI 28.3 specifications and tested to those requirements by an independent facility as witnessed and certified by a Professional Engineer."

Were I doing things all over again, I'd go this direction instead of a cell mounted up front in the trunk area. SCCA actually allows use of the stock tank because "stock fuel tank is located between the axle center lines and within the main chassis structure".

If you an demonstrate that the bladder is actually in good shape, you may have a larger customer base for it.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
larryM
post Jun 6 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

PM sent
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 7 2018, 06:29 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 5 2018, 09:42 AM) *
I'll pull it apart this weekend, but I did install a clear fuel filter between the tank and pump...

What you're looking for is the quality of the rubber itself. Look at the color; is it still that creamy color or is it turning brown/-er/-ish? Look outside and inside; are there cracks in the rubber? Any obvious delamination in the layers or the seams?

If the bladder has been stored inside a climate-controlled space all of its life (no Minnesota winters and/or Florida summers in the open garage), looks good per the above, and was not in constant contact with old fuels (esp alcohol) then it's likely safe for use. Some orgs do require replacement after 5 years, but as noted in my above post unless there's a sticker outside (which you can remove) confirming the date of the bladder itself, there's just no reasonable way for tech inspectors to check it at the track. Some will ask you to pull it for inspection at the annual check, but that's rare.

Replace the foam, though; that stuff degrades quickly and makes a friggin mess. And it's relatively cheap. - Greg
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jun 7 2018, 09:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,674

As a data point -

Not sure if this bladder uses the same material or not but I just pulled and inspected the bladder and foam in my vintage race car. The black rubber bladder and purple foam were pristine. This is an ATL cell......built in 1985.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 8 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

sold and shipped to Larry
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 11:15 AM