Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Used Patrick Motorsports Fuel Cell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Steve
For Sale: Used Patrick Motorsports Fuel Cell.
$650.00 or best offer
Purchased and installed by Otto's March 2006.
Bladder is original. The bladder holds 10 gallons.
I was told by fuel safe the bladder replacement is only available from Patrick Motorsports. I was told its around $1k for a replacement. I would call to make sure.
Here is a link to the PMS page for more information.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/por...tank-10-gallon/
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Can you pull and offer pics of the bladder/condition? SCCA no longer mandates the 5-year replacement ("Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date.") In reality, most orgs don't actually enforce it because it's such a PITA to pull bladders to verify the dates. It's probably a case of "looks good, looks safe, it's your ass go have fun."

More importantly, however, I'm not seeing on Patrick's web site where this cell carries the required FIA or SFI certification. SCCA's regs:

"All safety fuel bladders shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT- 5, etc.) or SFI 28.3 specifications. Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date. Alternatively, safety fuel cells shall be constructed in accordance with FIA FT-3 or higher or SFI 28.3 specifications and tested to those requirements by an independent facility as witnessed and certified by a Professional Engineer."

Were I doing things all over again, I'd go this direction instead of a cell mounted up front in the trunk area. SCCA actually allows use of the stock tank because "stock fuel tank is located between the axle center lines and within the main chassis structure".

If you an demonstrate that the bladder is actually in good shape, you may have a larger customer base for it.
Steve
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 5 2018, 06:13 AM) *

Can you pull and offer pics of the bladder/condition? SCCA no longer mandates the 5-year replacement ("Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date.") In reality, most orgs don't actually enforce it because it's such a PITA to pull bladders to verify the dates. It's probably a case of "looks good, looks safe, it's your ass go have fun."

More importantly, however, I'm not seeing on Patrick's web site where this cell carries the required FIA or SFI certification. SCCA's regs:

"All safety fuel bladders shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT- 5, etc.) or SFI 28.3 specifications. Fuel cells do not time out and have no expiration date. Alternatively, safety fuel cells shall be constructed in accordance with FIA FT-3 or higher or SFI 28.3 specifications and tested to those requirements by an independent facility as witnessed and certified by a Professional Engineer."

Were I doing things all over again, I'd go this direction instead of a cell mounted up front in the trunk area. SCCA actually allows use of the stock tank because "stock fuel tank is located between the axle center lines and within the main chassis structure".

If you an demonstrate that the bladder is actually in good shape, you may have a larger customer base for it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

larryM
PM sent
GregAmy
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 5 2018, 09:42 AM) *
I'll pull it apart this weekend, but I did install a clear fuel filter between the tank and pump...

What you're looking for is the quality of the rubber itself. Look at the color; is it still that creamy color or is it turning brown/-er/-ish? Look outside and inside; are there cracks in the rubber? Any obvious delamination in the layers or the seams?

If the bladder has been stored inside a climate-controlled space all of its life (no Minnesota winters and/or Florida summers in the open garage), looks good per the above, and was not in constant contact with old fuels (esp alcohol) then it's likely safe for use. Some orgs do require replacement after 5 years, but as noted in my above post unless there's a sticker outside (which you can remove) confirming the date of the bladder itself, there's just no reasonable way for tech inspectors to check it at the track. Some will ask you to pull it for inspection at the annual check, but that's rare.

Replace the foam, though; that stuff degrades quickly and makes a friggin mess. And it's relatively cheap. - Greg
gereed75
As a data point -

Not sure if this bladder uses the same material or not but I just pulled and inspected the bladder and foam in my vintage race car. The black rubber bladder and purple foam were pristine. This is an ATL cell......built in 1985.
Steve
sold and shipped to Larry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.