Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door handle opener, Need a pointer here....
rhodyguy
post Jun 13 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Right. You captured it while I was editing. Senior moment. I suspect the latch plate and assem. The door should easily open with a finger thru the handle hole.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Jun 13 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #22

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 13 2018, 01:02 PM) *

The inside of the door latches work SO much better (like butter) when you take them out and really soak them in a degreaser. I used gasoline because I had it handy.

The mechanisms are fairly bomb proof inside the door, they just get dirty and mucked up.

I agree, but I used a non flammable degreaser.

Don't use a graphite lube, it causes undue wear.

Use a derailleur lube like Tri Flow, real slick and doesn't attract dirt.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 13 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #23

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2018, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2018, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks Tom; Is there a trick to loosening the door hinges so the door can be moved up 1 -2 mm ? Seems like the weight could result in the door moving downward ?

Don't loosen the door hinges ...

The best and easiest way to move the rear of the door up a few mm is to open it about 1/4, grab it at the lower rear end and slowly pull it upward until it rests in the desired location.

The only time you need to loosen the door hinges is if the front top of the door triangle does not fit in the top/windshield seal, either being too low or too high.

I bet your door is the correct height in the front but sagging in the rear (most of them do) and simply lifting it up in the rear (slowly) will bring it back to where it needs to be.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Yup, it’s only at the back. Great tip !
+Quote Post
cary
post Jun 13 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The latch portion in the door needs a DEEP clean. I use old school carb dip tank solution in my air powered rattler. Then get PB Blaster into the pivot shaft. Once you get the shaft freed up and lubed it will be better magical.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Jun 13 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

I had a similar problem with both of my doors. Even with new plastic levers from 914 Rubber, they would not work correcetly and kept breaking the plastic part, while the inner door handles worked just fine.

The first thing I suggest doing is to simply loosen and remove the screws holding the latch mechanism inside the door. Then remove the latch mechanism from inside the door and soak it in parts cleaner or paint thinner overnight to clean out 40+ years of congealed grease and grit. I was amazed with how much easier the latch mechanism worked after it was cleaned. I suggest doing this before you start changing the door striker adjustments and hinges if the door closed OK before you took the outter handle off for repairs. Messing with the door striker adjustments and hinges is a slippery slope that will consume a lot of trial and error time.

(And no, you cannot simply some spray parts cleaner into the latch mechanism while it is still mounted inside of the door. Been there; tried that first; it didn't work. The plastic lever on the outter door handle kept breaking anyway until I finally took the latch mechanism out of the door and soaked it overnight in parts cleaner.)
+Quote Post
Richncherie
post Jan 16 2023, 09:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 18,586

72 914 cannot unlock the driver side door with key with door closed. Removed panel, cleaned and lubed all internal components. Key easily locks and unlocks door IF the door is open. BUT, if door is closed and locked, the key won't unlock the door. What is the adjustment necessary? I'm thinking need to adjust the door jamb piece???

Thanks!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 13 2023, 06:11 AM
Post #27

Get that VIN ?

Thanks for reminding me ofmy own thread !
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 14 2023, 08:23 AM
Post #28

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

There's nothing wrong with the handles, or the adjustments. The latch mechanism inside the door is dirty, and the 50 years old grease is like modeling clay. Remove it and give it a thorough cleaning and relube with white lithium grease. Dirty latches are the #1 cause of broken door handles
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 15 2023, 11:45 AM
Post #29

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(cary @ Jun 13 2018, 06:08 PM) *

The latch portion in the door needs a DEEP clean. I use old school carb dip tank solution in my air powered rattler. Then get PB Blaster into the pivot shaft. Once you get the shaft freed up and lubed it will be better magical.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Did this to both sides while doors were apart. Everything works like butter now. Even lock, unlock with the key is easy and smooth.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 17 2023, 08:39 AM
Post #30

Get that VIN ?

A trick I used when re-installing the latch at the back of the door. It’s really tight fit trying to manipulate the latch and attach the rod/clip.
I screwed a 40mm long M6 bolts into the latch through the door just enough to hold the latch. Then pushed the latch forward with the bolt preventing the latch from falling and freeing up my hands
Now, the rod and clip can easily be attached; pull the long bolt to reset the latch and install the short M6 screws. The long screw is removed
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 17 2023, 08:44 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

remove the catching mechanism and clean it thoroughly and all will be fine. Typical problem

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2018, 09:38 AM) *

I’m helping SB914 get his passenger door handle to work. The interior pull works fine; the exterior pull will not work unless I push in on the door first.
Took the handle out; it’s ok
There’s not a lot of adjustment for the mechanism and i’m Trying to not remove it.
Anyone else had this problem ?

+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 17 2023, 04:47 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well, I've been fighting the same problem on my passenger door and it is not a dirty mechanism problem. The door handle was cleaned meticulously during full resto and lubed with Tri-flow. The catch on the door pillar was stripped and re-plated. The driver's door works like butter but I have yet to adjust the passenger side where I don't have to push in or the door before pulling the handle to release. Works fine opening from the interior door release though. Sorry I don't have any tips to share. Just some company being in the same boat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Aug 20 2023, 11:34 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 24,467

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2018, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2018, 12:35 PM) *

Thanks Tom; Is there a trick to loosening the door hinges so the door can be moved up 1 -2 mm ? Seems like the weight could result in the door moving downward ?

Don't loosen the door hinges ...

The best and easiest way to move the rear of the door up a few mm is to open it about 1/4, grab it at the lower rear end and slowly pull it upward until it rests in the desired location.

The only time you need to loosen the door hinges is if the front top of the door triangle does not fit in the top/windshield seal, either being too low or too high.

I bet your door is the correct height in the front but sagging in the rear (most of them do) and simply lifting it up in the rear (slowly) will bring it back to where it needs to be.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

how can the rear of the door be pulled up when you let go wont it just go back down again ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:00 AM