Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Big Type IV or Suby Swap - Opinions Please
Jengah
post Jul 1 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,277
Region Association: Central California

I've been lurking for a few months here and could use some help/opinions. I've decided my next project will be a 914 with a extra HP, but can't decide on my route. This would just be a weekend car for twisty roads and occasional track days. I'd like it to be functional so I can still take my wife around in it.

I've had a 914 before (back in H.S.) so I know the car and have shadetree mechanic skills that have helped me maintain/DE my previous fun cars (e30M3, e36M3) so I plan on doing all of the work myself. That being said, I don'nt want to make this unneccesarily challenging (some of you guys are way more patient, skilled, and braver than I am). If I go with a Suby motor, I'll do the NA route. I'm considering either an EJ25 or EZ30.

So, the Suby engine is most likely going to have more reliability/last long the higher we get up in HP. It also seems to be the less expensive route. However, it is definitly the slower and more complicated route.

Does anyone with experience having tried both engines have opinions and advice on which is better or what the pro/cons are?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Steve
post Jul 1 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I’m not a fan of big 4’s. I had a 2.4 liter big four that grenaded with something different every 10k miles. The cost of big 4’s versus a six versus a Subaru, makes the Subaru the most viable option unless your into LS crate motors.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 1 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Suby all the way, cheaper, more HP from a stock motor, plenty of parts for them.

The only downside is the radiator ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 1 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I have had all flavors except a V8.

Large Type - 4 I hade a 2.8L unit for a very short while, never again.

Subaru EZ30 use the Microsquirt for the EFI. Go with a Subaru MT5, and build the mount using the basics from the Small Car Specialties mount, it is built to convert Vanagons. And the standard 4 cal. mounts up front. Trans hanger will have to be fabricated.

Exhaust will need to be fabricated.

Shifting is via Zero Decible motorsports and a pick and pull sorted shifter

Hydraulic clutch can be done via a simple brake Kent made or another supplier here on the forum.

Cooling system, Renegade Hybrids has a proven kit $$$$, or lots here used the Celica GTS rad off Ebay. New untested RAD option is from a Renault Alpine, only a couple of use looking at using that RAD, I have one at my shipping center, need to bring it home and see how well it works.

Axles and Transaxles , I like Subaru Gears stuff, then you just have a bolt in option. Others used dutchman and Subaru trans CV and 914 outers.

If you want to just get the mechanicals sorted out, then their is always Renegade Hybrids.

Brakes, suspension, wheels, are still Porsche 914 / 911 / 944 / Boxster / 996 / 908 / Ferrari 308 / Alfa GTV, etc.... Some even use them calipers from a 3 series BMW.

A turbo Subaru from a WRX is not much more complicated of a swap. And you could use the Megasquirt PNP if you want.

Get a donor car if you can from CoParts.com is a great place to find the oh so special wrecked vehicle your looking for. Rear End damage would be the best for your donor.

Have fun, start a build thread as it keeps me from actually working on mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 1 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

If I where doing it again, I would go LS with a Boxster transaxle, or one from a TDI Passat.

That one is about as easy as gets unless you go wild like Chris has with his build.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 1 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'm putting a more or less stock 1.8 /4 back into my 914, with the money spent and it's still not finished I think i could have done a complete n/a Subaru 6 conversion.

+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 1 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #7

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Good question, great debate. I think if you can be satisfied with a 150 hp or so T4, then its a decent option. Going much bigger seems to require some real pricey upgrades/machining/heads/Nickies/cooling/induction/ignition/exhaust

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

That said, keeping water out of the equation is very appealing.
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jul 1 2018, 01:41 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have run the stock 2.0l, a subaru EJ253 and ez30 in my car. Without question the ez30 is the best of the three setups. It provides a large increase in horsepower and torque without a noticeable change in the way the car handles.
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post Jul 1 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #9

RobnxiousOne

Member No.: 7,097

From what I have been told, the Suby conversion is the most cost effective, though I am pretty sure that any of these conversions spirals out of control very quickly. I have a 2.4 Type IV and I love it, as long as I don't think what I spent for it. A 6 conversion STILL would have been more expensive, but damned if I didn't give it a run for it's money! LOL

But I'll tell you what, it is fun as hell taking that big 4 up through the gears and the powerband on each. It just keeps pulling. Very nice. Haven't driven a Suby, and the only 6 I have been in was an original back in the day, which was underpowered, so my opinion isn't as in depth as others here who have driven and drooled for years before making their choice.

What ever you do, you seem to be going about it the right way, by getting as much data as you can before making your choice, since unless money is no object, you will be living with your choice for quite a few years to come
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jul 1 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I ended up going Subie because the Big 4 rebuild was just near 7K. for maybe 150 HP. but A lot of maintenance over time, I went with the SVX due to its 230 HP and 240 Lbs of Tq,.but they say you can get close to 250-280 with some upgrades,but that engine is built strong 7 main brg's for a flat 6 I think it can be run pretty hard and still be very reliable and kinda maintenance free,sits low in the chassis so it will handle just fine,..

But a SBC install is so much easier and quicker,hook up 5-6 wires and your driving after radiator mod ,engine mounts are easy to get or make,electric water pump system,but they are heavy 400-500 lbs.
unless you go the LS route all aluminum.!!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 1 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The nice thing about the suby swaps is that once they are running, a replacement engine, if needed, is cheap and easy. If you blow up a big four, you pretty much have to start from scratch.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 1 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Large type IV = more cost less work.

Subie = less cost more work.

The Subie is a modern engine with F/I and other good stuff. The problem is, you will then be infected with the "subie curse" forever. BWAHAHAHAAAA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 1 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #13

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

(Ad Copy from Ebay..no affiliation, info only)

13-16 Scion FR-S FRS 2.0 Engine 39K Miles Automatic Complete
2013 Scion FRS engine with 39K miles complete with wire harness and all accessories ECU, starter, A/C compressor and alternator. engine was professionally removed wires were carefully unplugged, engine is ready to install just plug and play, removed from 2013 wrecked vehicle with automatic transmission,Oil pan will need to be swapped out as it was punctured to drain oil and was fitted with a rubber plug.
$2,499.00
Brand: Subaru
$200.00 shipping
===========================

This is a 4cyl 200 hp motor. Lots of them on EvilBay. Anyone using one of these?

Both Subaru BRZ and Toyota Scion use this motor on their little sports car. Not only that but there are several plug and play aftermarket turbo kits advertised.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 1 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 1 2018, 02:43 PM) *

The only downside is the radiator ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

And the connections to and from... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

On the Type IV, I’d go no bigger than 2270, but really like the 2056...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 2 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #15

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I've a 2.0, an EZ-30D and a 327-300. No contest; the Subaru EZ-30D. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #16

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 1 2018, 05:30 PM) *

2013 Scion FRS engine with 39K miles complete with wire harness and all accessories ECU, starter, A/C compressor and alternator. engine was professionally removed wires were carefully unplugged, engine is ready to install just plug and play, removed from 2013 wrecked vehicle with automatic transmission,Oil pan will need to be swapped out as it was punctured to drain oil and was fitted with a rubber plug.
$2,499.00
$200.00 shipping

This is a 4cyl 200 hp motor. Lots of them on EvilBay. Anyone using one of these?

Both Subaru BRZ and Toyota Scion use this motor on their little sports car. Not only that but there are several plug and play aftermarket turbo kits advertised.

It would be a good motor to swap. No bottom end power, but good top end. Been in production 6 years with no changes so thats good news for longevity and availability.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 2 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 2 2018, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 1 2018, 05:30 PM) *

$2,499.00
$200.00 shipping

It would be a good motor to swap. No bottom end power, but good top end. Been in production 6 years with no changes so thats good news for longevity and availability.

the BRZ weighs about 2800lbs so it's engine should be a little happier in a 914. Gets it's max HP at 7K.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 2 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #18

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

200hp should make the 914 a happy driver car and easy to install.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 2 2018, 03:16 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I'd vote for the Subaru over any type 4 engine. When I did my EG33 car I had less than $1500 in the conversion. That's with a Subaru transaxle and megasquirt. Had the engine and transaxle mounted in the car with the radiator over a weekend.
Took me longer to get the Megasquirt done than it did to mount the engine.

I see now that Subarugears are making adapters for the Subaru transaxles to different engines. They even make one for VW type I and Type IV engines.

I think if I was doing another conversion I would do a V6 or V8 Audi and use the Audi transaxle. Got a friend that did a Audi V8 to Boxster Car and it seems to work pretty good.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Bob

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #20

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 2 2018, 02:16 PM) *

I think if I was doing another conversion I would do a V6 or V8 Audi and use the Audi transaxle. Got a friend that did a Audi V8 to Boxster Car and it seems to work pretty good.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Bob

A 4.2 to a 6spd just sounds awesome to me. Their are so many high HP motors out there, but that 4.2 has such a nice exotic sound and redline that I think it would suit a flared 914 just extremely well and be actually usable.

Had I done it again I probably would have gone that route instead of my high end 1.8t build.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:19 AM