Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> From Watered Down 914's, Beating a dead horse but it's my dead horse!
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Jul 9 2018, 08:41 AM
Post #1

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey all, Sorry I have not responded sooner. I've been away for a few weeks in Europe celebrating my 25th anniversary and visiting with family in Sicily!

Anyway; I did have some time to review things and have found some interesting things indeed.

First, for the time being, I am going to assume my plumbing is mostly correct. So...

1. I found that my RH manual from 1992 and Ed Ducey's V8 Conversion manual both call for 1 inch diameter hose from the t-stat to the rad inlet and 1.25 inch from the rad outlet to the WP. I have 1.25 inch to and fro. Would this make a difference? IDK, but it's cheap enough for me to try it and see what happens.

2. From the same informational sources; I found that the 350 CID engine requires 525 Sq inches of rad surface (350 * 1.5). Also noted, they both recommend a minimum of a 2 row, double pass rad of the correct sq. inches. The rad in my car by comparison is a cross flow (single pass), 2 row, 426 sq in. rad. My rad (15.5 x 27.5) is around 20% smaller than what the sources recommend!

3. The sources mention that the valance/bumper opening for air to the rad should be a minimum of 1 sq. foot (144 sq inch). The opening of my Chalon front bumper is 21 x 5 inches or 105 sq inches. That is around 27 % smaller than what is recommended! Don't really know what to do with that other than to hack the opening bigger and deal with body work and paint! Would such a smaller opening make a difference?

4. Therefore, besides replacing my 1.25 inch hose from t-stat to rad with 1 inch (doing so will allow less volume and greater pressure for that side... may that make a difference?), I am looking at a rad that is a 2 row, double pass unit that measures 28 x 19, which yields 532 sq. inches. There also a 31 x 19 rad (2 row/double pass) that yields 589 sq. inches. Either should fit, angled as mine is now although the 31 inch would be a tighter fit between the headlight buckets.

A question though... which will have better cooling, having more than a two rows (like a 3 or 4 row) single pass rad or a 2 row, double pass unit? It might be possible to get a 3 row, double pass rad but I think those are really pricey. The sources both say the 2 row double pass rad of the correct area for a 350 is sufficient but old school in me says 3-4 row single pass could be better.

Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:01 PM