Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lost 2nd and 4th, Tips and suggestions
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 14 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

Hey guys,

I went out cruising and ate dinner in the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Nice drive and dinner until heading home I could not engage 2nd and 4th. Just kept grinding but I managed to work around and skip the gears.

Took it back to the garage and check what I found. Looks like the bushings went to valhalla.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Worked on other transmission linkage/shifters before so not new to me. I will be ordering a shift bushing kit from Marky Mark. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Anything else I should be aware about with these 901 trannies?

-Ed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 14 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 14 2018, 11:18 AM) *

Hey guys,

I went out cruising and ate dinner in the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Nice drive and dinner until heading home I could not engage 2nd and 4th. Just kept grinding but I managed to work around and skip the gears.

Took it back to the garage and check what I found. Looks like the bushings went to valhalla.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Worked on other transmission linkage/shifters before so not new to me. I will be ordering a shift bushing kit from Marky Mark. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

-Ed

Might I suggest the brass bushings. $50 and damned well worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Jul 14 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,057

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys,

Attached Image

Attached Image

-Ed

Might I suggest the brass bushings. $50 and damned well worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I agree. Do all your bushings. Use the oil bronze bushings where they are available. Check all linkages for slop and tighten or replace cone (pointed)set screws. There is a roll pin back near the side shift console on the gear box on the 90 degree elbow or knuckle the I have found very worn and sloppy too. I drilled and threaded in an extra set screw there to remove slop at that roll pin. Helps tighten up the whole shift linkage assembly. Clean, grease, and put covers on to keep grit out of the grease. Good luck!
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 14 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #4

[/quote]
[/quote]
I agree. Do all your bushings. Use the oil bronze bushings where they are available. Check all linkages for slop and tighten or replace cone (pointed)set screws. There is a roll pin back near the side shift console on the gear box on the 90 degree elbow or knuckle the I have found very worn and sloppy too. I drilled and threaded in an extra set screw there to remove slop at that roll pin. Helps tighten up the whole shift linkage assembly. Clean, grease, and put covers on to keep grit out of the grease. Good luck!
[/quote]

Oh yeah, the set screws. Got to check those out see how they are, thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Who sells the brass ones? Bruce, hey Bruce where are you? I know you are on your computer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

$50 is not that much, but I need to maintain a budget for the interior. I am also starting the Fall semester next month for the Grad program so I need to balance my expenses.

-Ed
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jul 14 2018, 01:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,794

Glad to hear that you made it home okay. It is an easy fix and you don’t have drop the engine.

Make sure you update all the bushings at the same time. You will also need align the shifting but it will shift much better.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 14 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Thadle do it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 14 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Brass shift coupler bushings are available from Pelican Parts, and also on Ebay. No affiliation with either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-912-91...ksid=m570.l1313

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 14 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

JWest, member vendor, sells the screws except they're a tapered end bolt that has a jam nut. Buy new, various rubber items for the linkage assem while you're buying from 914rubber. If you decide to pull the shifter, index the current setting with a sharpie.
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 14 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jul 14 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Glad to hear that you made it home okay. It is an easy fix and you don’t have drop the engine.

Make sure you update all the bushings at the same time. You will also need align the shifting but it will shift much better.

Thanks Rav...

Anyone have a link how to align the shifter for the 914 w/ side shifter? Mark it with a sharpie on the links? I can’t find a link anywhere and I do not like to be on the computer too long.

-Ed
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 14 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Easy fix sir! Maybe no need to adjust the shifter if everything is working before or if needed, probably light adjustment only by the stick shift area. Firewall bushing really need replacement based on ur pic.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 14 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Until recently, I have made and supported the oilite shifter bushings. I recently replaced another set. I have come to the conclusion the oilite is the wrong material. I think plastic is better. The oilite is a sintered material impregnated with oil. As a bearing, it worls well. As the bearing heats up, it liquefies and lubricated. In this application that does not happen. I feel the metal crumbles and fails. The new one I made is an aluminum bronze alloy 954. Time will tell.

Another tip is the cone screw. Buy 1/8" nylon balls. Heat the cone screw slightly and the old one will bubble. Pop it out and press in the new ball. A lot will stick out. When screwing in place the excess will come off but more than enough will remain and do it's job. $5.00 for 100 balls. Much cheaper to go this way. I have never had a failure
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 14 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Get rid of the coupler completely and use a steering U-Joint. It never gets sloppy. And you probably have all the parts laying around your garage.

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 14 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jul 14 2018, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys,

Attached Image

Attached Image

-Ed

Here a pic installed on Mark E. 1974 1.8F.I.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 07:54 PM