Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Temp and AZ heat, dont worry, I'm ok., 100 degrees today - only getting hotter
snflupigus
post Jun 13 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,163
Region Association: None

So I thought Sunday I had better figure out why my center console temp gauge stopped working... turned out it came unplugged over by the old battery hole.... plugged it back in.

Now, I've only had the car here since Dec and the temp gauge hasnt worked for about 3 months so I havent been able to see how hot it was getting as the outside temp raised. I knew before the needle barely ever moved.

Well.... to my suprise today driving in traffic for 30 minutes at 100 degrees out, it didnt even go halfway to red! This, even with the gaping hole i have from the battery damage letting all that heat up into the bay.

I'm suprised and am wondering, should I still think about an external oil cooler to keep it even cooler?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Jun 13 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #2

O yeah... and anybody put on one of those aftermarket ac's that doesnt require cutting and only takes 5 hp to run supposedly? 1200 bucks i think i saw in autoatlanta.

100 outside with no ac and black vinyl = burnt ass and hands in car. not to mention sweaty marbles.
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Jun 13 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Aftermarket AC that requires no cutting? I have not hear of that, anyone have any first hand knowledge?

By the way snflupigus, welcome to AZ. We try and do 914 stuff on a reqular basis, hope you can join us.

+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Jun 14 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Want to change a clutch soon (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Jun 14 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #5

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I think ICE AIR here in Phoenix also has a compressor solution that will work without cutting the passenger engine console sheetmetal. Been a while since I looked into it and I do remember seeing three or four solutions available if you were not worried about using the old York compressor. The newer compressors seem much more up to the task anyway.
+Quote Post
a.munoz3
post Jun 14 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,217

QUOTE (snflupigus @ Jun 13 2005, 07:17 PM)
O yeah... and anybody put on one of those aftermarket ac's that doesnt require cutting and only takes 5 hp to run supposedly? 1200 bucks i think i saw in autoatlanta.

100 outside with no ac and black vinyl = burnt ass and hands in car. not to mention sweaty marbles.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh u and me both man sweaty marbles!!! damn AZ heat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

BTW if you find out of an a/c kit like that please let me know where to get one i need one bad.
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Jun 15 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #7

lost the rear view the other day... car must have got to hot... fixed today. *(tonight actually since it didnt feel below 80 in the garage till after 11pm.

changed the oil today in the garage, sun hits in the morning so not tooo bad but still, shirt was sweat soaked and had to change... 2 more months..... better than saying, only 6 more months of this dreary white shiznit and overcast skys.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Jun 15 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #8

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881

OT - Hey snflupigus, I thought I read somewhere that you recently started at Chase. What do you do there? I know a few people there as my wife was in Private Client Services with Bank One for 11 years.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jun 15 2005, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

It's a DRY HEAT............. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

BTW, on those crappy oem gauges? Doan trust them farther than you can throw them. "I" would verify readings with a hand held pyrometer, change out the gauge and sender....get a new gauge with NUMBERS on them.

All that old one is gonna do is get you frantic when it starts climbing and you have no idea what temp it represents.

YMMV
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 15 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #10

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

How about welding my door sill last night. 90 degrees 95% humidity. Heat index around onebazillion. But you gotta do what ya gotta do.
Even my pool is over 90 degrees!
One thing good about the summers here. the Devil don't come around. Too hot!
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jun 15 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

the forecast in denver was for a high of 87, so i put the 914 in storage so i can drive with AC today. I couldn't imagine having to drive it in 90+. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
stay cool.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gklinger
post Jun 15 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #12

doh!

Member No.: 146

QUOTE (snflupigus @ Jun 15 2005, 12:03 AM)
2 more months..... better than saying, only 6 more months of this dreary white shiznit and overcast skys.

2 more months...? If we're lucky, it'll cool down by October.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jun 15 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 97

97 degrees today - driving the 914 with the top off. I know you won't believe this, but my polioshed aluminum shift knob did not even burn me after being left out in the sun (must be my "hands of iron"). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Jun 15 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #14

AJ - I'm just a personal banker... but the new workplace financial service program is right up my alley with my b2b sales experience. I'll hope to move into commercial banking after a year - or branch management.

October? haha, cool down = not over 100 to me LOL - I can handle driving the car if its in the 90s or 80's... no biggie. Thankfully I only drive 20 miles a day now instead of 120.

MS - yes, 90 w/ 95% humidity is hot... I lived in Iowa and Nebraska for most of my life - its often in the 90's with that humidity level... the difference with MS and IA and NE is that we hit negative 20-30 in the winter too! --- I dont know why people live there. LOL

So I put in 20w-50 for this heat - what do you guys think? Good idea or something else?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:02 PM