Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Body In White, chassis fixtures being made
Andyrew
post Aug 2 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #41

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Must had been another guy that I remember.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 3 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #42

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

They're HERE!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

I have to finish up a 2.3 engine I'm building next week, but you can be sure I'll be playing with these after hours. Already have my Aubergine car up on the bench, so I'm gonna check that first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 3 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #43

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 3 2018, 02:16 PM
Post #44

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Beeyooteeful!
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Aug 3 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 14 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #46

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice going Mark and Andy! Thanks for getting the hard work getting these to the market Peter! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 15 2018, 12:53 AM
Post #47

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

pretty bad ass Mark!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 15 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #48

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 15 2018, 03:53 AM) *

pretty bad ass Mark!

Say... didn’t you run off and join the circus? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 23 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #49

Resident German

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Oct 23 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #50

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

Man, that sure was a long time ago!!

12 years later, I've been missing my 914 fix. I've been touring with concerts and other shows pretty much constantly since then. I need to plan for the future. Getting Eric to build me a car is part of that plan! =)

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 15 2018, 03:03 AM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 15 2018, 03:53 AM) *

pretty bad ass Mark!

Say... didn’t you run off and join the circus? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 23 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #51

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 23 2018, 01:42 PM) *

I don't like the looks of this..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 24 2018, 12:36 AM
Post #52

Resident German

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 23 2018, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 23 2018, 01:42 PM) *

I don't like the looks of this..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I'll let @McMark chime in if he wants to, lets just say there have been a few "issues" with those fixtures, which has in turn significantly slowed progress on my /6 build ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 24 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #53

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am fully aware of the delays and setbacks that happen when you tackle one of these builds. Of course having to do doing something over (twice) is problematic for progress too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 5 2018, 07:30 AM
Post #54

914 Freak!

Sorry guys, it's been a crazy few months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) But here's what I've learned since my last post.

Celette has nearly no real support for the 914. The only fully developed fixtures died when they released the MZ Tower setup. There are now only two 914 fixture sets in the Celette inventory: 1 in the US and 1 in Europe. I've seen the US set firsthand and I've seen a copy of the Euro set, and neither set is 100% correct.

This is what I was told when I inquired about ordering an official set for purchase.
"I put out a request for the Porsche 914 fixtures 2131.300, but the team in France notified me that [the US rental fixture set] was only a prototype and was never finished. I asked them what I had to offer you and at this time there is nothing I can offer for sale.

So I rented the US set and have it here now. I've attached my Aubergine car and everything seemed to line up really well -- until I got to the shock towers. And it took me awhile to confidently decide that this set is incorrect in the shock tower fixtures. The definitive evidence was that the official US fixture set was indicating that my Aubergine car was essentially perfectly straight at the front A-arm mounts, rear A-arm mounts, rear trailing arm mounts (inner and outer), transmission mounts, BUT the front shock tower needed to go up by 6.5mm and the rear needed to go down by a whopping 16mm. These numbers are HUGE considering that ALL the other fixtures line up and this chassis shows no signs of accident damage. And finally, simply consider what sort of accident it would take to move ONLY the two front shock towers down 1/4" and the rears up over 1/2" without affecting the rest of the suspension alignment. It's impossible.

SO ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SHOP THAT RENTS THE 914 CELETTE FIXTURES MUST BE AWARE THAT THESE FOUR FIXTURES ARE INCORRECT AND SHOULD NOT BE USED.

After all of this roundabout effort and research, I've decided that the only way I can be confident in my Celette bench and fixtures is to build a set myself. I'm using the official US fixture set and my Aubergine car to make my set. I will be using modern technology to document each piece. Each fixture will be made up of multiple smaller pieces which I will have laser cut. Once I have all the building block parts, I'll remove fixtures one by one and assemble the component parts on the bench, in place. I'll then confirm accuracy of my piece before moving on to the next piece. When everything else is done I will document the shock tower fixtures as they are, before making the modifications necessary to make them correct. I know other people are taking a similar approach.

This is certainly not how I, or anyone else, thought this process was going to go. There were a lot of hopeful progress, but in the end these fixtures are too critical for me to accept anything that isn't quite right. In order for me to be fully confident in my work, I need to be fully confident in my fixtures. So I have to make my own, and I have to like how they turn out, before I can move on to Andy's car.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 5 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #55

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Truly a class act. Andy's car is in good hands and all members in the future will benefit from your hard work and attention to detail if/when the time/need comes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 5 2018, 08:34 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Good work Mark! What a pain. Maybe you could make your own sets to sell/rent. Maybe just the two defective ones?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 5 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #57

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Nice research Mark. Guess I am back to building a set too then. I have a rust free straight car to work off of too. Really in most cases a guy doesn't need heavy fixtures designed for withstanding the pulling forces of a collision repair. Most of what we do is related to rust repair and withstanding the pulling forces of a welding process. We all know how our chassis can move around while welding.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 5 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #58

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wouldn’t the front towers be the same as the 911 fixtures.
Can you modify the existing fixtures rather than making new ones.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 6 2018, 07:09 AM
Post #59

914 Freak!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 5 2018, 06:48 PM) *
Nice research Mark. Guess I am back to building a set too then. I have a rust free straight car to work off of too. Really in most cases a guy doesn't need heavy fixtures designed for withstanding the pulling forces of a collision repair. Most of what we do is related to rust repair and withstanding the pulling forces of a welding process. We all know how our chassis can move around while welding.

Well, once I build mine and use them I was planning to just ship/bring everything your way. The MZ Towers make building these fixtures relatively easy. But building fixtures from scratch would be a larger endeavor. I know you're certainly up to the task, but just borrow mine when I'm done.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 5 2018, 07:01 PM) *
Wouldn’t the front towers be the same as the 911 fixtures.
Can you modify the existing fixtures rather than making new ones.

Well, remember these aren't made by Porsche people. So unfortunately, the answer is no. The setup is approached differently (see pics below), and there's no reason to expect that the 'neutral' position of the chassis, over the bench, is the same height or fore/aft location. In fact, just looking at the Celette diagrams I can tell that the 911 chassis will sit closer to the bench than a 914 chassis, which means nothing will interchange.

911 Front Shock Tower
Attached Image

914 Front Shock Tower
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 6 2018, 07:24 AM
Post #60

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2018, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 5 2018, 06:48 PM) *

Well, once I build mine and use them I was planning to just ship/bring everything your way. The MZ Towers make building these fixtures relatively easy. But building fixtures from scratch would be a larger endeavor. I know you're certainly up to the task, but just borrow mine when I'm done.

Cool,

I have rent money waiting. I will be laid up for awhile anyway. Gettin my own fixture installed the end of the month. LMK your projected time line. I have Juergen's car disassembled and ready to bench.

BTW: Need my windshield jig? I can send it to you.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:06 PM