Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Body In White, chassis fixtures being made
FlacaProductions
post Nov 6 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

You guys are awesome taking this on. Quality.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #62

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Got all the modeling done and got all the plates laser cut from 5/8" steel. Ordered 20' of 40mm solid steel rod. This stuff is all seriously heavy. I packed half of the steel plate parts into a 12"x6" box, and I could barely pick it up. Definitely confidence inspiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gunner.gif)

I checked all the laser cutting first to make sure bolt holes were going to line up and to make sure I didn't make any other mistakes. One set of plates I made a dumb mistake, and the trailing arm bracket with the three holes didn't quite line up, so I had to fix and reorder those. But the second version came back perfectly. The laser shop also accidentally drilled holes on 2 sets of plates to 12mm instead of 10mm, so I got those redone as well.

I spent all of Sunday and Monday double checking the car on the bench, and then getting started making fixtures. The laser cut plates are working out just like I expected and I've got 4 fixtures made and it's working really well. Each piece has quite a bit of work. The front shock fixtures had to have the large circle piece machined with a specific angle on the outer edge. And the other fixtures pictured are for the two bolts where the steering rack/cover mount. That little ring had to be trimmed from 5/8" plate down to 10mm thick, as well as machined on the ID and OD to size. Oh, and drilling the 12mm pin hole through to 40mm rod is no joke. Those take 10-15m per hole going slow and letting the bit cool periodically.

So far everything has worked out. Each piece or process I make/do is working out. At the risk of sounding self-promotional, it's very satisfying to be able to see the payoff from all these years of experience with various fabrication skills. While these fixtures are fairly simple in appearance, the need for accuracy is where it gets tricky. I was really afraid of drilling the pin hole in the rod. Getting that perfect is terribly challenging. Being off by less than 1° would be make the piece unusable, and it MUST be drilled last.

I've gotta step away from fixtures for a couple days to get an engine test fired with my fuel injection set up, as well as build the bottom end of a 2270 engine. But I'm planning to be back building fixtures on Friday and should have all the critical ones done next week. I need to outsource machining on a couple pieces because my mini-lathe is not big enough to hold the piece. And there are a coupe plates that need to be a specific thickness and flatness. So those will need to go to a surface grinder.

Thanks for all the encouragement. This has been a huge delay and a ton of effort, but I appreciate all the positive comments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 6 2018, 08:24 AM) *

BTW: Need my windshield jig? I can send it to you.

I gotta make my own. I want a full set of Celette and body fixtures on hand here when I'm done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BPic
post Nov 20 2018, 09:11 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Amazing stuff Mark!! Mad skills and patience to boot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

It is very cool to see the passion you put into this project. I know it will eventually pay off for you but your time and $$ invested shows your commitment to the 914. Thank you!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 20 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #64

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One small step for man.......one giant leap for 914s.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 20 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #65

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I admire your perseverance and attention to detail on this, keep going!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 20 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Nice work! Is this one of the fixtures that doesn't fit inspiring this activity?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 20 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #67

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Amazing. It is comforting to know you will have the right tools for the job, should the need arise. I am sure SirAndy is very very happy too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #68

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 20 2018, 09:02 AM) *
I am sure SirAndy is very very happy too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 20 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #69

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 20 2018, 10:45 AM) *

Nice work! Is this one of the fixtures that doesn't fit inspiring this activity?

It is! The fixture itself is fine, it's just that the pin hole isn't right so the fixture is too low.

Hey Andy, while you're waiting for me to get this done, how about making the site read meta data and rotate pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Or at least a button us admins can press to rotate pictures inline... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 20 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #70

Resident German

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 20 2018, 01:21 PM) *
Hey Andy, while you're waiting for me to get this done, how about making the site read meta data and rotate pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Or at least a button us admins can press to rotate pictures inline... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I have the code all ready and tested, just need to find time to plug it in ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 21 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #71

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice. Several months back now I approached another shop about renting his stands. I planned on renting Celettes top fixtures. I would have soon found out about their failure. Since Celette scrapped the original fixtures you will have the only correct top fixture set for the new design now.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 18 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #72

914 Freak!

Nearly done with the fixtures. A bunch of stupid 'normal life' stuff make things take way longer. But the majority of the fixtures are complete. I just have the following remaining:

Rear Shock Towers (designs sent to laser cutting, should be back this week)
Engine Mounts & Rear 'Donuts' (waiting for rear shock towers to be in place first)

Here's a few shots of the inaccurate fixtures. Remember that this car shows no evidence of crash damage and these pictures were taken with the car mounted to the official Celette Fixtures. The front A-Arm mounts (front and rear) and the rear trailing arm mounts (inner and outer), as well as the transmission mounts, were all in place and lined up perfectly 'out of the box'. So there's just no logical way that these gaps should exist.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

And here's some shots of my fixtures:
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BPic
post Dec 18 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Quite impressive!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 18 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #74

Resident German

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Dec 18 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Nice work!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:54 AM