Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Positive battery terminal block, Anyone have pics?
bbrock
post Aug 8 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Does anyone have pics of the 914rubber (or original) positive battery terminal block installed? The reason I ask is because I'm ordering new crimp on ring terminals for main and alternator harnesses. I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter. It's very possible that someone (probably me) drilled that terminal out to fit on a 1/2" terminal bolt but I can't tell. So I guess my real questions are what are the right sizes for terminals and where on the battery terminal do they attach? The only photo I can find in the factory manual doesn't show enough detail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/shop.914rubber.com-20845-1533771867.1.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 8 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I don't believe the original ones had a block. I think they had individual wires coming out.

Though I'm not sure I've ever actually looked at an original positive wire...

--DD
+Quote Post
ejm
post Aug 8 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #3

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2018, 07:44 PM) *

I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter.

The 8mm ring on the alternator harness goes on the battery cable post on the starter. The harness eyes on the battery terminal are 6mm.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 8 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 8 2018, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2018, 07:44 PM) *

I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter.

The 8mm ring on the alternator harness goes on the battery cable post on the starter. The harness eyes on the battery terminal are 6mm.

Aha! That makes sense! Many thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 8 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

The original looks like the repro from 914rubber, but the OEM was a single block and stud.

There's a problem with the fasteners intersecting on the repro, the M6 and M8 hit and you can't get enough threads in one or the other.

I got a few to have on hand. My plan was to cut off part of M8 stud and braze it to the block. After getting these in hand, I probably would've put SAE thread on the clamp stud, just so you can use a SAE battery clamp nut.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 9 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 9 2018, 09:17 AM
Post #7

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2018, 08:56 AM) *

That looks like the one on Elwood (factory six). I had never seen one until we got him.

The screw on top is M6. The one for the bolt is M8. you could take a 10MM square cube, drill and tap one side for M8, and on a side 90 degrees from the M8 hole and drill and tap for M6. Then use a bolt instead of a nut through the battery cable end. Put a M6 screw in the top and attach the wires.

Beats trying to put all the wires under the battery cable bolt.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:22 PM