Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Positive battery terminal block
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Does anyone have pics of the 914rubber (or original) positive battery terminal block installed? The reason I ask is because I'm ordering new crimp on ring terminals for main and alternator harnesses. I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter. It's very possible that someone (probably me) drilled that terminal out to fit on a 1/2" terminal bolt but I can't tell. So I guess my real questions are what are the right sizes for terminals and where on the battery terminal do they attach? The only photo I can find in the factory manual doesn't show enough detail. confused24.gif

IPB Image

Dave_Darling
I don't believe the original ones had a block. I think they had individual wires coming out.

Though I'm not sure I've ever actually looked at an original positive wire...

--DD
ejm
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2018, 07:44 PM) *

I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter.

The 8mm ring on the alternator harness goes on the battery cable post on the starter. The harness eyes on the battery terminal are 6mm.
bbrock
QUOTE(ejm @ Aug 8 2018, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 8 2018, 07:44 PM) *

I assume that positive terminals from main harness and alternator harness all attach to the M6 bolt on the block. I've misplaced the original terminals I cut off my main harness but the ground terminals all have M6 holes, but the battery end of my alternator harness is 8mm diameter.

The 8mm ring on the alternator harness goes on the battery cable post on the starter. The harness eyes on the battery terminal are 6mm.

Aha! That makes sense! Many thanks. smilie_pokal.gif
IronHillRestorations
The original looks like the repro from 914rubber, but the OEM was a single block and stud.

There's a problem with the fasteners intersecting on the repro, the M6 and M8 hit and you can't get enough threads in one or the other.

I got a few to have on hand. My plan was to cut off part of M8 stud and braze it to the block. After getting these in hand, I probably would've put SAE thread on the clamp stud, just so you can use a SAE battery clamp nut.
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2018, 08:56 AM) *

biggrin.gif

That looks like the one on Elwood (factory six). I had never seen one until we got him.

The screw on top is M6. The one for the bolt is M8. you could take a 10MM square cube, drill and tap one side for M8, and on a side 90 degrees from the M8 hole and drill and tap for M6. Then use a bolt instead of a nut through the battery cable end. Put a M6 screw in the top and attach the wires.

Beats trying to put all the wires under the battery cable bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.