Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do we think about rebuilt clutch kit components?
Tdskip
post Aug 9 2018, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

First of all thank you for all of you were coaching in knowledge sharing on clutch replacement, this is my first time doing this in your help and all the information I found in the archives is a huge plus.

I need to order a kit today and one of the options I'm looking at from a known vendor has a package option that includes rebuilt rather than new components.

Are pressure playes and clutch discs that have been rebuilt reliable and trusted to function like new?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 9 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

depends on the rebuilder. We have been installing them successfully in the cars for years.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 9 2018, 07:25 AM) *

First of all thank you for all of you were coaching in knowledge sharing on clutch replacement, this is my first time doing this in your help and all the information I found in the archives is a huge plus.

I need to order a kit today and one of the options I'm looking at from a known vendor has a package option that includes rebuilt rather than new components.

Are pressure playes and clutch discs that have been rebuilt reliable and trusted to function like new?

+Quote Post
Valy
post Aug 9 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

The pressure plates are ok to resurface as long as the sun rays are not worned out.
You will probably want to resurface the flywheel so take the pressure plate to the machinist as well.

I would use a new disk. They are cheap, last longer and almost the same price as to rebuild.

The pressure bearing is the tricky part. I hope yours is good. Clean it and repack with grease. If not, new ones are so expensive that the new clutch kit makes sense.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 9 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I would never install a 'rebuild' pressure plate or friction disc. It's a PITA job, and if your rebuild disc dies and takes out your flywheel, now you've got even bigger problems.

Brand new Sachs clutch kits every time. Certainly not cheap, but OEM and reliable.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:16 AM