Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche 914 Fuel gauge not working
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 9 2018, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,240
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a 73 Porsche 914 2.0L. It’s been parked for several years. The fuel gauge is stuck at about 3/4 full reading. I went down to local fueling station and put 10 gallons in it and the reading still shows the same 3/4 full. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, cleaned it although it looked good and the float moved freely and reassembled it. Checked the 4 plug male connectors all looked good. Tried it again and still reading 3/4 full. What do you recommend next? thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
sb914
post Aug 9 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2018, 12:22 PM) *

I have a 73 Porsche 914 2.0L. It’s been parked for several years. The fuel gauge is stuck at about 3/4 full reading. I went down to local fueling station and put 10 gallons in it and the reading still shows the same 3/4 full. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, cleaned it although it looked good and the float moved freely and reassembled it. Checked the 4 plug male connectors all looked good. Tried it again and still reading 3/4 full. What do you recommend next? thanks

One of the wires in the tube may have come loose or broke. You might be able to re attach or , Put a wtb ad someone will have one. Make sure its been tested before purchasing.
Or pm Bruce stone he has one for sure!
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 9 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 9 2018, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2018, 12:22 PM) *

One of the wires in the tube may have come loose or broke. You might be able to re attach or , Put a wtb ad someone will have one. Make sure its been tested before purchasing.
Or pm Bruce stone he has one for sure!

All the wires are attached in the tube at both ends. Is there a way to test the sending unit and or the dash gauge? With the sending unit out if I move the float up and down the lines will that reflect on the gauge reading?
+Quote Post
sb914
post Aug 9 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

If I remember Correctly you can plug it in and turn upside down and the fuel gauge should read empty. Not positive but I think that's correct.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 9 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The sending unit is simply a variable resister. If you check the resistance changes as the float moves up and down, it should change from 0 to 90 ohms (or there about). The other contact is for the low fuel warning light and is activated by a contact at the base of the sending unit. If the car has been sitting, I wonder if the wires are gummed up preventing appropriate readings. You might try polishing 5hem (gently) and check the ohm readings with a VOM.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 9 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

and check it out of the car sliding it up and down with the key on to see if the gas gauge needle moves. Replacements from URO are now cheap enough
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 9 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Thanks for all the input, I will try all the suggestions and get back with your.
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 9 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #8

Well I recleaned everything and checked the gauge reading with the sender out and moving the float up and down and everything appears like it’s working fine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Good job you guys, excellent support group! Thanks, have a great afternoon!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:40 PM