Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 Fuel gauge not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
I have a 73 Porsche 914 2.0L. It’s been parked for several years. The fuel gauge is stuck at about 3/4 full reading. I went down to local fueling station and put 10 gallons in it and the reading still shows the same 3/4 full. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, cleaned it although it looked good and the float moved freely and reassembled it. Checked the 4 plug male connectors all looked good. Tried it again and still reading 3/4 full. What do you recommend next? thanks
sb914
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2018, 12:22 PM) *

I have a 73 Porsche 914 2.0L. It’s been parked for several years. The fuel gauge is stuck at about 3/4 full reading. I went down to local fueling station and put 10 gallons in it and the reading still shows the same 3/4 full. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, cleaned it although it looked good and the float moved freely and reassembled it. Checked the 4 plug male connectors all looked good. Tried it again and still reading 3/4 full. What do you recommend next? thanks

One of the wires in the tube may have come loose or broke. You might be able to re attach or , Put a wtb ad someone will have one. Make sure its been tested before purchasing.
Or pm Bruce stone he has one for sure!
9144me2enjoy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 9 2018, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 9 2018, 12:22 PM) *

One of the wires in the tube may have come loose or broke. You might be able to re attach or , Put a wtb ad someone will have one. Make sure its been tested before purchasing.
Or pm Bruce stone he has one for sure!

All the wires are attached in the tube at both ends. Is there a way to test the sending unit and or the dash gauge? With the sending unit out if I move the float up and down the lines will that reflect on the gauge reading?
sb914
If I remember Correctly you can plug it in and turn upside down and the fuel gauge should read empty. Not positive but I think that's correct.
GeorgeRud
The sending unit is simply a variable resister. If you check the resistance changes as the float moves up and down, it should change from 0 to 90 ohms (or there about). The other contact is for the low fuel warning light and is activated by a contact at the base of the sending unit. If the car has been sitting, I wonder if the wires are gummed up preventing appropriate readings. You might try polishing 5hem (gently) and check the ohm readings with a VOM.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and check it out of the car sliding it up and down with the key on to see if the gas gauge needle moves. Replacements from URO are now cheap enough
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for all the input, I will try all the suggestions and get back with your.
9144me2enjoy
Well I recleaned everything and checked the gauge reading with the sender out and moving the float up and down and everything appears like it’s working fine! driving.gif Good job you guys, excellent support group! Thanks, have a great afternoon!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.