Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED headlights for H4 buckets?, whats the current state of the art?
VaccaRabite
post Aug 14 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I know this comes up every few years, but LED lights are one of those things where the tech is moving really fast, and what was true 2 years ago is old tech today.

Whats the word on LED headlights? Right now I'm using 55watt H4s, which were the bomb 15 years ago when I started restoring the car the first time. These days they seem dim, and especially after the episode last Sunday, I want to do anything I can to reduce the electrical load on the car. I don't think my car needs a 160 amp alternator, and I want to be sure I'm making the best use of my 55amps on tap.

I also want to make sure the LEDs are focused properly in the reflector so I'm not blinding on-coming traffic. I know that has been a concern with LEDs even last year.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825

Look up reviews for Jeep Wrangler led lights. They are what I bought a couple years ago for my 914 and they are awesome. 5 minute install. I gave a spare set to my father last week for his wrangler. He loves them. I know it sounds strange to shop for Jeep lights but it’s the same 7” bulb and there are so many jeeps so lots of choices and reviews.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 14 2018, 08:01 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The 914rubber kit. We watched Mark change them over in about 15 minutes while in Newberg last June.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 14 2018, 08:12 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I put a set of the LED headlights in Betty's car. There was a night and day difference (rimshot). Direct drop in for the H4 lenses. Takes a little longer to pull the wires from the buckets, and reinstall the wires from the transformer. The difference in brightness is a quantum jump from the halogen bulbs, which were a quantum jump from the sealed beams that came with the car. And it lowered the amp load on the alternator too.

I am definitely putting them on Igor when he is back on the road. And I am fairly sure Betty will agree to put them on Elwood too.

They are the biggest bang for the buck I have ever put on a 914.

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Aug 14 2018, 08:19 AM
Post #5

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 14 2018, 07:01 AM) *

The 914rubber kit. We watched Mark change them over in about 15 minutes while in Newberg last June.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

914Rubber kit all the way. I've purchased 3 sets thus far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

One issue with putting LEDs in standard H4 enclosures is that the reflectors don't always work well with the LED beam pattern. Usually it is a must to change the standard H4 reflectors when going to the LEDs for the best results but some do work.

Also Check out Vintage LED as they have 4000 and 5500 L versions along with quality Hella H4 reflectors.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 14 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Zach,

I'm surprised that you're still using the 55W H4's, & never upgraded to 80/100W over 15 years.

While not LED, the High Powered H4 80/100W kits with relays works really well, projects the light out well at full luminescence, & isn't in the blue range which can fade in certain conditions & it used to be LEDs were weaker than halogen (H4) at the long range high beam projection (I don't know if that's still the case).

I've had the 80/100W kit in our 88 Westy for about 15 years now, & the difference was marked. If not available from 914 vendors, GoWesty has the 80/100W Kits for the early Splitty (H4 converted) & Bay Window Buses & Westfalias - which are using essentially the same 7" diameter headlights as our 914s, & the wiring harnesses are about the same.

Two other issues of which to be aware on any vehicle upgrade, is that the reflectors in the newer cars equipped with LED headlights are designed with the LED's lighting & heat characteristics in mind, in order to maximize & properly "throw" the light, as well as to dissipate the high heat generated by the transformer (?) mechanisms at their bases.

There have been a couple of cases that I know of, where LED lights have been retrofitted into older cars & the heat wasn't properly vented so the wiring &/or plastic parts were melted, & where it caused a larger car fire (both headlights & other exterior & interior lights). While the heat build-up problem is supposedly mostly with lower cost & cheaply made LEDs - there is still significant heat in LEDs.

If you have any LED retrofit bulbs in any lamps at home, try touching the base after the light has been on for awhile to see what I'm talking about, & most of those are similar 60-100W equivalent lights.

It sounds like a lot of people like the 914Rubber LED conversion kits, but I can't speak to it because I'm not using LED headlights in any of our cars, but our Westy does have the other LED exterior & some interior LED lights upgraded with no problems so far.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
sithot
post Aug 14 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

Carmagic.us

Engelbert is a 914 driver and light fanatic.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 14 2018, 09:13 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 14 2018, 10:57 AM) *

Zach,

I'm surprised that you're still using the 55W H4's, & never upgraded to 80/100W over 15 years.

Two other issues of which to be aware on any vehicle upgrade, is that the reflectors in the newer cars equipped with LED headlights are designed with the LED's lighting & heat characteristics in mind, in order to maximize & properly "throw" the light, as well as to dissipate the high heat generated by the transformer (?) mechanisms at their bases.

It sounds like a lot of people like the 914Rubber LED conversion kits, but I can't speak to it because I'm not using LED headlights in any of our cars, but our Westy does have the other LED exterior & some interior LED lights upgraded with no problems so far.

Tom
///////

The 80/100 watt H4s, at least at the time when I was buying, had a rep for drawing more power then the alternators could reliably provide. IIRC, it was better lights and radios that prompted the need for the 70, 100 and 160 amp alternators. IIRC, your busses used 70 amp alternators stock and had a slightly easier time with the draw.

I also have concerns about the reflectors and am assuming that I'll be changing reflectors to get the right light pattern. But maybe not? Thats the reason for this post, to find out what is new.

Same goes with the heat dissipation. That's an issue with LEDs of old - shedding the heat so they don't fail. And also part of the reason for the post. I hope to find people saying "These have been aces for me" and it seems like I am indeed finding that.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 14 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #10

En Garde!

QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 14 2018, 11:02 AM) *

Carmagic.us

Attached Image

That is sick, but not quite the look I'm going for. I want to keep my outward appearance to be as vintage as possible.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 14 2018, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 14 2018, 10:57 AM) *

Zach,

Tom
///////

The 80/100 watt H4s, at least at the time when I was buying, had a rep for drawing more power then the alternators could reliably provide. IIRC, it was better lights and radios that prompted the need for the 70, 100 and 160 amp alternators. IIRC, your busses used 70 amp alternators stock and had a slightly easier time with the draw.

I also have concerns about the reflectors and am assuming that I'll be changing reflectors to get the right light pattern. But maybe not? Thats the reason for this post, to find out what is new.

Same goes with the heat dissipation. That's an issue with LEDs of old - shedding the heat so they don't fail. And also part of the reason for the post. I hope to find people saying "These have been aces for me" and it seems like I am indeed finding that.

Zach

truck lite led for jeep wrangler. I've purchased for as low as $100/each on amazon. but usually list for $150. They are the best. Look a little odd but lights are usually down unless you are using them. They run cool and don't dim on idle even with my old 1,7.
Lot's of light on low, even to the side. Great cut off. High beams are insane.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270C-LE...dlamp&psc=1
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 14 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is what I chose.. From a kenworth dealer these are just h4. And I will use the 914 rubber LED bulbsAttached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 14 2018, 09:34 AM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

This is the 914Rubber kit. It’s important to me that the car not look “out of place” ie: people don’t point and say ‘hey! That’s not stock.’

As you can see in the side by side, the LED light blows away the H4. Imagine if I was to compare to a regular sealed beam!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sithot
post Aug 14 2018, 09:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 14 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Carmagic.us

Attached Image

That is sick, but not quite the look I'm going for. I want to keep my outward appearance to be as vintage as possible.

Zach

Got it.

OTOH, who looks at lights (at night) to see what you're running? Function over form is my rule for lights.

You really cannot get an LED bulb to work with a standard reflector/lens. I went through the GM headlight debacle in '15 GMC with POS headlights that they never made right. Using reflectors with bulbs they were never intended to work with. Sold the truck and bid adieu to GM forever. Terrible customer service.

I have internal memos from a guy in the "warranty" and "recall" system who as much as admitted they had and issue and knew it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 14 2018, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 14 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Carmagic.us

Attached Image

Zach

Got it.

OTOH, who looks at lights (at night) to see what you're running? Function over form is my rule for lights.

You really cannot get an LED bulb to work with a standard reflector/lens. I went through the GM headlight debacle in '15 GMC with POS headlights that they never made right. Using reflectors with bulbs they were never intended to work with. Sold the truck and bid adieu to GM forever. Terrible customer service.

I have internal memos from a guy in the "warranty" and "recall" system who as much as admitted they had and issue and knew it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the correct reflector and lens is just as important as the bulb.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 14 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

To quote Pirelli loosely great power with out control is useless.

Even with out the correct reflectors the LEDs are an improvement. But the light is not necessarily focused in the correct locations. I broke on of my reflectors and had to put the standard H$ back in for a while. there was a very clear difference in the patterns and while better than stock, it was very clear the standard H4 reflector did not make the most of the light produced.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 14 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

On a somewhat recent thread on the subject, someone recommended these from TheSamba. I don't have any experience but thought they looked interesting enough to save the link.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-20845-1534263827.1.jpg)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2174710
+Quote Post
Shredhead
post Aug 14 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,047
Region Association: North East States

Backordered at 914Rubber. Other than the anything but stock look, any thoughts on these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SL0MSK
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 14 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

These were mentioned on another recent thread with the same topic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FX3YWO/?colii...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 14 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #20

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I'm still not convinced to go balls in on headlights, every unbiased test I've seen so far says LEDs are brighter short range, but the high beams do not throw the light as far as HQ halogen.

Likely I'll switch to LED for most of my other lights, including fog lights, but for now I'm keeping the halogen for headlights.
I do a lot of high speed driving in rural areas.

I would have to be convinced that the LED pattern doesn't blind oncoming traffic, to me that's just as dangerous.
Also if the replacements are not DOT approved you could run into trouble with the law and/or insurance companies. Police here are starting to crack down on unapproved headlights.
If you were in an accident and the lawyer found out you had unapproved headlights it may turn out bad for you.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:55 PM