Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED headlights for H4 buckets?, whats the current state of the art?
mepstein
post Aug 14 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[quote name='Mark Henry' date='Aug 14 2018, 01:10 PM' post='2638742']
I'm still not convinced to go balls in on headlights, every unbiased test I've seen so far says LEDs are brighter short range, but the high beams do not throw the light as far as HQ halogen.

Likely I'll switch to LED for most of my other lights, including fog lights, but for now I'm keeping the halogen for headlights.
I do a lot of high speed driving in rural areas.
You would love them. I live rural. I can see the deer and everything else from much further out.

I would have to be convinced that the LED pattern doesn't blind oncoming traffic, to me that's just as dangerous.
It doesn't. Not on my 914 or my dad's Jeep (higher up)

Also if the replacements are not DOT approved you could run into trouble with the law and/or insurance companies. Police here are starting to crack down on unapproved headlights.
They just look like modern headlights, they don't look blue and they are only exposed at night.
If you were in an accident and the lawyer found out you had unapproved headlights it may turn out bad for you.
I feel they help keep me out of accidents since I can see the road and others can see me. It's a huge difference. I'll never go back. When I bought my first set, I paid $180/per light and I still think it was worth every penny. They are supposed to last 50,000 hours so hopefully the last set I buy for each car.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 14 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The jeep lights are DOT approved, so you're likely OK.
I was commenting along the line of the bulb LED conversion and/or non-DOT approved lights.

"If you were in an accident and the lawyer found out you had unapproved headlights it may turn out bad for you."

I'm talking about the other guys lawyer, might be grounds for a lawsuit or invalidate your lawsuit. These days if I was a savvy lawyer I might look at this angle as a defense.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 14 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #23

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

With the rctensive research we did we found several issues witg LEDs.
Chip life was one, the other is the lens housing issue
Also DOT approved is not US DOT approved. Its Chinease DOT, they let you make the assumption.
There are bery few US DOT approved and you will pay for it.
We fiund bery high quality chips that wete used in US DOT units, however the company they are having a difficult time getting us this next batch.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 14 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #24

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I went with Carmagic (Engelbert; rothaus on PelicanParts) LED headlight for my 930. Engelbert was very responsive to questions and everything fit nicely.

The headlight light pattern has that sharp cutoff at the top between light/no light as many vehicles have today.

The headlights also has an extra wire that can be connected to the running lights for DRL. On the 911 this is very convenient as the running light wires run through the headlight bucket and were a breeze to connect.

The high beams are primarily 4 high powered LEDs on each lamp which lights up everything in sight. The primary LEDs do not dim or turn off when the high beams turn on.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 14 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #25

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you really want LED then you need to get the whole unit. There are good rated headlights on Amazon down to about $100/pr.

My problem with the LED bulbs (914rubber) is they glare like high beams are on. I know from the last rally it sucks to be the 914 in front. Adjusting the HL down shortens the throw so it's kinda mute.

I put in HID retrofit bulbs. At least the geometry matches the reflector and it shows on the road as the pattern didn't change. Also super bright and lower amps. You need a good quality E-code (European) sharp cut off housing. (Bosch/Hella/Cibie) The Chinese made ebay low buck special won't cut it.

I really need to take a night to do the comparison photo thread now that I have the LED bulbs to include.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 15 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #26

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 14 2018, 06:48 PM) *

If you really want LED then you need to get the whole unit. There are good rated headlights on Amazon down to about $100/pr.

My problem with the LED bulbs (914rubber) is they glare like high beams are on. I know from the last rally it sucks to be the 914 in front. Adjusting the HL down shortens the throw so it's kinda mute.

I put in HID retrofit bulbs. At least the geometry matches the reflector and it shows on the road as the pattern didn't change. Also super bright and lower amps. You need a good quality E-code (European) sharp cut off housing. (Bosch/Hella/Cibie) The Chinese made ebay low buck special won't cut it.

I really need to take a night to do the comparison photo thread now that I have the LED bulbs to include.

Here’s my comparison.in the garage. Pattern looks identical at this distance.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:36 AM